Steering clutches again

I tore down my clutches about 15 years ago. I cleaned the all the discs the best I could and replaced some. The both sides were stuck again even with the handles tied back. I got the right side to break free but not the left. I'm wondering if putting all new discs in if it would be better and last longer. With one still working its probably not worth tearing down for the little I use it but may have to eventually.  I do live in a damp climate and have had problems with other clutches. I dread tearing it down again. 

I know some machines have clutch housings that can be filled up with some penetrating oil.

I had good luck filling an ac hd6 with diesel and tied back the handles, went to work with the blade on a big stump, the disks broke free after a while.

• Like 1

Have to watch your solvent choice doesn’t disintegrate the frictions or also leave an oily residue behind, for IH they recommended stoddard solvent which today is varsol  I believe, may as well work it does it have a dozer on it? If so get some heat into it with the brake and cozy up to a big stump and try and pop that side free

They do have bimetallic available new that are not as prone to sticking 

I used diesel the first time with no luck. I pushed a few stumps out yesterday with no luck. I think I have the lever adjusted up so tight that its released. Pretty sure the only way is to tear it down. I was pricing discs and that's not a option right now anyway. I may try hooking onto a bigger stump but have been down this road before and doubt it will help. Thanks for the suggestions. 

5 hours ago, supermechanic said:

I know some machines have clutch housings that can be filled up with some penetrating oil.

I had good luck filling an ac hd6 with diesel and tied back the handles, went to work with the blade on a big stump, the disks broke free after a while.

I have tried diesel before but didnt have any luck. Wouldnt hurt to get something in there anyway. Especially the side tgats free. 

That era were all designed as dry clutches for that application, diesel can leave an oily residue if that side is free I would leave it be as it could slip, swell or disintegrate it’s the other side that’s the problem 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hardtail said:

That era were all designed as dry clutches for that application, diesel can leave an oily residue if that side is free I would leave it be as it could slip, swell or disintegrate it’s the other side that’s the problem 

I got it free today but the last 3 times I used it I had to break it free. If it's more than a few months it will likely be stuck again.😭

For that I would play with your steering clutch lever on the right side and get against something will good resistance and try to get it at the point of engage/disengagement to polish the surfaces as they wear against each other

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

For that I would play with your steering clutch lever on the right side and get against something will good resistance and try to get it at the point of engage/disengagement to polish the surfaces as they wear against each other

Thanks. Good idea. I did work it for a few hours after I broke it free. Debating whether or not to tear it down now or wait until both sides are stuck. 

Your call it’s a crappy job but if the money tree isn’t bearing fruit may as well wait or try and use it more frequently, definitely not ideal but can mostly maneuver with one side working 

I would try the bimetallic for your climate for the extra $$$ it could be worth it in the long run

Be nice to hear from others if that solved that issue

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Your call it’s a crappy job but if the money tree isn’t bearing fruit may as well wait or try and use it more frequently, definitely not ideal but can mostly maneuver with one side working 

I would try the bimetallic for your climate for the extra $$$ it could be worth it in the long run

Be nice to hear from others if that solved that issue

The only thing good about doing it now is I can get it in the shed easier. Probably wait though as little as I use it. To many other projects I'm not getting done either. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I will look into mineral spirits. That seems to be what varsol and stoddard are basically.