Tell your story of what you did in college

I have very mixed feelings about college, I always wanted to farm and run cows. My dad was not allowed to finish high school and decided his kids where going to college. I did not see now all that fit together back then, it that it just was. But one of the better ag schools in the west is 40 miles away.

I lived at home and farmed. Just not a real drinker, so did not feel I miss out on that part of the experience. But this smart girl got got me roped and branded. Been taking care of me ever since.

Could of done all I did without the BS degree. But all the rich and think they should be famous that have moved in and taken over the area give you just a bit more credit when they find out you have as much education as they do. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The statute of limitations might not be up yet......

You are quite wrong there. It’s a legal place to convert you to a liberal way of thinking, while extracting many dollars from you.  I attended 1 year at the University of Nebraska. I am quite certai

Hmmmm, thought it was way over-rated..................forgot everything I "Paid" for and learned from the old heads the first day in the door of a real "Job".  I sure hope the country gets back to app

I went to school for Heavy Equipment Technology.  Worked a job with Central Tractor and helped dad on our small farm.  Also was dating my now wife at the time.  That was almost 25 years ago and I only have really used that degree to any extent for the last 7 of those years.  It did pay me some benefits in the end and I got to meet guys from different backgrounds (albeit quite a few in that program were also farm kids themselves).  I never experienced the "college life" per say as I commuted an hour to and from school everyday.  The 10 year never ending college bill has been long paid for but it seemed like it never would be at the time.  If I could do it over again I would change some things about it.  I would have made up my mind in high school what I was doing instead of working a job for 2 years and then going to school.  I feel that did nothing but set me back 2 years from the rest of my peers.  Secondly I would have put my nose to the books harder and studied more of the technical stuff and applied myself more so I could have had more options upon graduating.  I like where I am at in life now and I am glad in the end I did it and can use at least some of what I learned now.  Like has already been said find a career that you like and are happy with whether it requires schooling of some sort or not.  If you do what makes you happy you will never work a day in your life.

Been asked many many times where I went to tech school. I say, didn't, self taught learned by doing. Bought my first tractor as a kid and was snookered. It had water in the engine oil and the guy knew it, but I didn't. Spent all my money to buy it so had to fix it myself. Just kept getting braver and have been fixing for hire on the side ever since. If i could have gotten away without going to high school I would have done that too! No way I was going to college! I guess I just went to the school of hard knox.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, SMOKER 1 said:

Drank a lot of beer and chased a lot of wild women and oh ya, studied some.

jerry

I didn’t have to go to college for that. Got my schooling on the job it’s paid out well .

8 hours ago, Ihcubguy said:

I went to school for Heavy Equipment Technology.  Worked a job with Central Tractor and helped dad on our small farm.  Also was dating my now wife at the time.  That was almost 25 years ago and I only have really used that degree to any extent for the last 7 of those years.  It did pay me some benefits in the end and I got to meet guys from different backgrounds (albeit quite a few in that program were also farm kids themselves).  I never experienced the "college life" per say as I commuted an hour to and from school everyday.  The 10 year never ending college bill has been long paid for but it seemed like it never would be at the time.  If I could do it over again I would change some things about it.  I would have made up my mind in high school what I was doing instead of working a job for 2 years and then going to school.  I feel that did nothing but set me back 2 years from the rest of my peers.  Secondly I would have put my nose to the books harder and studied more of the technical stuff and applied myself more so I could have had more options upon graduating.  I like where I am at in life now and I am glad in the end I did it and can use at least some of what I learned now.  Like has already been said find a career that you like and are happy with whether it requires schooling of some sort or not.  If you do what makes you happy you will never work a day in your life.

I dont know if any 18-25 yr old makes all the right decisions, it's just not genetically programmed I think.  Too many teenage tendancies floating around in the brain yet.  Personally, I think it took until my very late 20's or even getting past 30 until I realized what was truly important and could remove a good deal of emotion and irrational tendancies from decision making.  

I drank a lot of whiskey in Vo-Tech. Diesel Tech.

Drank little as was a non-trad in college. Business

I mostly took up, "SPACE".

36 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I dont know if any 18-25 yr old makes all the right decisions, it's just not genetically programmed I think.  Too many teenage tendancies floating around in the brain yet.  Personally, I think it took until my very late 20's or even getting past 30 until I realized what was truly important and could remove a good deal of emotion and irrational tendancies from decision making.  

I made pretty good decisions in that age period, outside factors at the time, not my decisions were the issue................It is hard to be a machinist when the economy starts to crash around you and all the jobs left or were leaving. I will never forget walking into work and never knowing if you would be walking right back out or not.  Every day it seemed customers were closing or moving production to China.  Eventually it did get me but took some time, I was the last to go, left a old head and the owner.  Probably why I get so upset when I see the one dope running for president.................where the H*ll was he then????  All the career swamp rats sold us out and lived high on the hog.  

As I said earlier, I learn more of the job from the corn cob pipe puffing old farts than I ever learned at school, looking back it was mostly a waste of time and money, but the country has so indoctrinated the theory that you have to go its hard to not.  My parents who didn't go themselves would have disowned me if I didn't go.  My dad is no longer here, but every time my mother brings it up about the grandkids going I make sure to point it out that they have rough hands from work and will get places whether they go or not.  Now my wife on the other hand had it figured out.  She went to school for business, loved the transportation industry, got into a male dominated industry of logisitics and kicked A$$ doing it..........Had a few good jobs, then got a great job that paid for her to get her masters and she has it made and enjoys her job..............I told her that is great, because I like riding coat tails and have it made too!:lol:

• Haha 1

College? The two classes I took at night convinced my I did not want to wrench for a living (mto 2.0) learned more about my trade in a 3 day fall fence forum. Than I ever could in college. 

Didn't drink much before I was 22. 

Got out of high school and Uncle Sam did not want me due to injury's in a car wreck. Parents could only afford to send one of us to collage and sent my sister. Worked as a labor in construction and helped dad on the farm. Lots of highway construction going on and got a job as a welders helper and then as a welder ( learned basics in ag class). Flipped back and forth between equipment operator and welder for a few years. 

Was on a job in western KY and my job was keeping the dirt pad built up over a pipeline so they would not damage it while crossing with equipment. When the job past that point the pipeline contractor who was monitoring the pipe asked me to go with them and I did. I was on a great crew for many years, I was on the rightaway clearing crew the superintendent was a retired welder. For some reason he liked me. We were in a area that required very little clearing and I would get ahead and shut down and wait. He came up one day while I was shut down and waiting with pup pieces of pipe and said I am teaching you to weld pipe and he did. 

I stayed with this until early 90's when my son got sick and I came home and went to welding pipe in the building trades and retired 5 years ago and now run my own little shop.

I was very lucky as some have stated before working with some of the best there was and I tried to learn all the tricks they knew. The sad part is when these guys are gone so is all their knowledge. 

Collage for me no, I would still follow the same path. I have made a very good living and still enjoy the challenge and will keep on as long as my body allows it.  Make some changes along the way, YES I would not do some of the dumb stuff that are haunting me now. 

• Like 1

Most of it wasn't fit for repeating. I can't say I didn't learn anything, but they basically bled me for money, lied persistently and learned it was mainly about who you knew, not what you knew. They fed us load of nonsense and most of us were stupid enough to buy it. Eventually God picked me out of the mess I had gotten myself into and dusted me off. Also learned I wasn't nearly as good of a person as I had given myself credit for being.

I still have very mixed feelings about college. Now my profession is dying and I make less now than I did 20 years ago. What I generally tell people now is unless you want to be a doctor or engineer or something specific that absolutely requires not only a degree but contacts and certifications only attainable through college, don't bother.

There are other ways to gain education these days. I personally feel apprenticeships would be the way to go for a lot of fields, even many engineering fields. Working for yourself is a gamble, but working for someone else is an even bigger gamble these days. I advocate young people to pursue careers that can see them developing their skills into self employment. Just seen too many people shafted over and over again by corporate America. Plenty of small business owners go bankrupt, but I prefer knowing what my standing is, than being lied to and tossed aside when convenient.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I made pretty good decisions in that age period, outside factors at the time, not my decisions were the issue................It is hard to be a machinist when the economy starts to crash around you and all the jobs left or were leaving. I will never forget walking into work and never knowing if you would be walking right back out or not.  Every day it seemed customers were closing or moving production to China.  Eventually it did get me but took some time, I was the last to go, left a old head and the owner.  Probably why I get so upset when I see the one dope running for president.................where the H*ll was he then????  All the career swamp rats sold us out and lived high on the hog.  

As I said earlier, I learn more of the job from the corn cob pipe puffing old farts than I ever learned at school, looking back it was mostly a waste of time and money, but the country has so indoctrinated the theory that you have to go its hard to not.  My parents who didn't go themselves would have disowned me if I didn't go.  My dad is no longer here, but every time my mother brings it up about the grandkids going I make sure to point it out that they have rough hands from work and will get places whether they go or not.  Now my wife on the other hand had it figured out.  She went to school for business, loved the transportation industry, got into a male dominated industry of logisitics and kicked A$$ doing it..........Had a few good jobs, then got a great job that paid for her to get her masters and she has it made and enjoys her job..............I told her that is great, because I like riding coat tails and have it made too!:lol:

The years from 2009-2012  were absolutely HORRIBLE for me as well, and I kinda want to tell some of these young voters how bad a poorly run economy will set you back. Cat shop I was at closed due to company downsizing, then landed a job at a Deere c&f dealer due to the surge in the gas patch, which  the bottom dropped out of that too and was let go.  IF I had a head on my shoulders I should have just started on my own then, but kinda wallowed in the misery of there literally being nothing in the job market....   Not that the downturn was obama and bidens fault, but they were not friendly to business AT ALL, and were incredibly weak.  

On 10/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

She better check ur spelling and sentence structure according to.....was it New Englander?🙂

Now I am afraid to post on this forum because I flunked grammer in Ridgetown College

bak in 65. Still have no idea what a noun,pronoun, verb,ect, ect, are.😱😢

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, greenredneck said:

Now I am afraid to post on this forum because I flunked grammer in Ridgetown College

bak in 65. Still have no idea what a noun,pronoun, verb,ect, ect, are.😱😢

Was just teasing  welker. I make plenty of mistakes as well. 🙂

If I had put the money I spent on college in the early to mid 80's in the stock market. 

I wouldn't be working now.

I wouldn't recommend that path today though. 

To a certain extent then and to a greater extent now. If you are a College educated employee politics,patronage and nepotism("networking")are going to determine how far you go. Of course if you happen to have the hot discipline of the moment you can write your own ticket. But that's not everyone. There's only so many really good white collar jobs. And there's way more graduates chasing them. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, exSW said:

If I had put the money I spent on college in the early to mid 80's in the stock market. 

I wouldn't be working now.

I wouldn't recommend that path today though. 

To a certain extent then and to a greater extent now. If you are a College educated employee politics,patronage and nepotism("networking")are going to determine how far you go. Of course if you happen to have the hot discipline of the moment you can write your own ticket. But that's not everyone. There's only so many really good white collar jobs. And there's way more graduates chasing them. 

A significant number of the people I went to college with or were friends that graduated from college are now middle managers in retail or working in a factory. I'd say roughly half. Funny enough, more than a few of my friends in my field (design) switched to driving truck in the past few years, largely due to the lack of jobs/pay in our field.

4 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

The years from 2009-2012  were absolutely HORRIBLE for me as well, and I kinda want to tell some of these young voters how bad a poorly run economy will set you back. Cat shop I was at closed due to company downsizing, then landed a job at a Deere c&f dealer due to the surge in the gas patch, which  the bottom dropped out of that too and was let go.  IF I had a head on my shoulders I should have just started on my own then, but kinda wallowed in the misery of there literally being nothing in the job market....   Not that the downturn was obama and bidens fault, but they were not friendly to business AT ALL, and were incredibly weak.  

I wouldn't say they were horrible, but the job end was.  Ended up working for my neighbors on the dairy, which was about one step above being unemployed.  I didn't learn much there either other than how not to do it, and we had things figured out better at home than I thought.  Every job that came along had dozens of people apply, and I of-course didn't get any. Ended up going to another farm as a mechanic, liked it, but glad the slave labor ended.  Did get back to a few machine shops though, although none were as interesting as the job shops.  Did quite a bit of that here at home when the garage was open, but getting people to pay for things these days quickly took the fun out of that.  

I should mention that unlike the Backhoe King of the north, my girlfriend and I(who became current wife) was in college and we were renting a apartment, and found better things to do than watch John Goodman in the evening............next thing you know on top of everything, she was knocked up.  So not only was the job end bad, now there was another mouth to feed coming.  Oh well, we got through it.

I went to a welding program in high school and got all my certifications, including 6GR pipe.

being sort of a troublemaker, I got into trouble my junior year of high school last day in back parking lot with a 1973? Scout 2. Doughnuts  are still there I must dare to say. I also had a rifle in behind the seat....big no no.

so I was forced to complete my senior year alcohol free and 4.0gpa.

so I did that and enrolled at ivy tech for hvac. They thought I was a genius because of my 4.0 gpa. So I got a free books and tuition one year. 
turns out driving was expensive in 2006 so I crammed as much into the three days I went down there as possible 8am to 11pm. Ended up with degrees in hvac, industrial and mechanical maintenance. All the while taking plumbing class at home for work, which ended in me getting a contractor plumbing license.

so on paper I’m really valuable. I’m pretty proud since I had a friend tell me yesterday he has five loan installments left to pay his schooling off.

I spent a couple winters at the Madison Wisconsin, attended the AG short course.   I loved the AG engineering course. Learned a lot about animal nutrition.  I learned that State Street had lots of bars that were open late.   I also learned that you do not have to spend every night in your dorm room.

12 year's of school was enough for me. Sat up machinery and played go-for at a farm machinery dealership winter of '88-'89. Started driving truck in '89, did that for ten and a half years. Just farm now. Wouldn't change a thing about my past if I had the chance. No regrets.

• Like 1