Upgrading balers

ZG6E

On 11/4/2020 at 3:11 AM, ZG6E said:

Thanks. I’ve been working on it for a couple years and I’ve still got quite a ways to go. I did hire the concrete out though.  Just got it done in September. 

89B7AAE4-B301-4570-B5E1-EE0D753263DE.jpeg

31783246-B364-488D-851F-A4B53400D507.jpeg

17DBC178-94E8-442D-952D-45212935F1D3.jpeg

90E1EA94-32B8-47B2-B15E-69E404F156F3.jpeg

Nice shed I notice it is mainly built out of timber , what is the reasoning for this.

3 hours ago, exSW said:

What's the dimensions on the shop?

36x64. 16’ sidewalls. I have plans for a 16’ lean on each side, one enclosed and one open  

49 minutes ago, 5288IH said:

Nice shed I notice it is mainly built out of timber , what is the reasoning for this.

That’s what the majority of buildings are built out of here. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well I made a couple hundred bales last night and this morning and I can’t say I’m overly impressed out of the gate. At about bale 100 it stopped wanting to cut the net every bale. It was pretty erratic when it would and wouldn’t cut.  It would always cut when I would manually cycle the knife using the monitor. Also had some stems get stuck in the starter roll and hook the net which I halfway expected. I plan to fill the gaps in with jb weld or weld them solid. (Shouldn’t have to fix on a brand new baler).Also had some net wrapped around the nose roll but not a lot, not sure what caused that. The monitor also beeps at me when I first start up for overvoltage. That could be correct though I’m not sure as I haven’t put a volt meter on the tractor battery to see if the alt is overcharging. Gauge looks fine. 

It does make nice bales though and the pickup is much improved!

BD215757-802D-4C01-AB23-19A5C16C7063.jpeg

22 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Around 400 bale on mine, has performed flawlessly

I hope I can get some kinks worked out and get this thing straightened out. 

Also the bolt that holds the hydraulic cylinder to the pickup must have been loose because it fell out so when I went to raise my pickup I couldn’t and just had to let it ride on the casters on the way home. 

1 hour ago, ZG6E said:

Well I made a couple hundred bales last night and this morning and I can’t say I’m overly impressed out of the gate. At about bale 100 it stopped wanting to cut the net every bale. It was pretty erratic when it would and wouldn’t cut.  It would always cut when I would manually cycle the knife using the monitor. Also had some stems get stuck in the starter roll and hook the net which I halfway expected. I plan to fill the gaps in with jb weld or weld them solid. (Shouldn’t have to fix on a brand new baler).Also had some net wrapped around the nose roll but not a lot, not sure what caused thatThe monitor also beeps at me when I first start up for overvoltage. That could be correct though I’m not sure as I haven’t put a volt meter on the tractor battery to see if the alt is overcharging. Gauge looks fine. 

Are you getting an error and code when the net does not cut?  If so what is it?  Code will be on the upper left of the monitor screen.

I know.  It is really stupid.  Welding the rods cured that problem on mine.  Completely.

That is unusual.  Wrapped way on the ends?

How is your tractor harness connected to power?  Direct to the tractor battery or otherwise?

8 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Are you getting an error and code when the net does not cut?  If so what is it?  Code will be on the upper left of the monitor screen.

I know.  It is really stupid.  Welding the rods cured that problem on mine.  Completely.

That is unusual.  Wrapped way on the ends?

How is your tractor harness connected to power?  Direct to the tractor battery or otherwise?

I forgot to look for a code when it was happening- the hay was perfect and I just wanted to get it done. Does the monitor store codes?

Ive got everything hooked straight to battery with the supplied harness. 

It depends on what code is triggered, but yes, the monitor does store codes.  Book will tell you how to look them up.

I am wondering if there is a code related to the knife or not.  If not, I would be inclined to think that for some reason the duckbill home position sensor is not being triggered when the duckbill goes to the home position.  If that sensor is not triggered, the knife won’t cycle.

I can about promise you that there will be some teething pains getting everything adjusted right on the wrap system, but once it’s dialed in you most likely won’t be messing with it much.  Just keep the sensor magnets clean.

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

It depends on what code is triggered, but yes, the monitor does store codes.  Book will tell you how to look them up.

I am wondering if there is a code related to the knife or not.  If not, I would be inclined to think that for some reason the duckbill home position sensor is not being triggered when the duckbill goes to the home position.  If that sensor is not triggered, the knife won’t cycle.

I can about promise you that there will be some teething pains getting everything adjusted right on the wrap system, but once it’s dialed in you most likely won’t be messing with it much.  Just keep the sensor magnets clean.

I should add that the monitor is showing that the knife is being engaged (the knife extend button goes shadowed and shortly after that the retract button goes shadowed. So I do believe it is extending or at least attempting to. I plan to make sure the net pull is within spec with a spring scale but just by me pulling on it it seems close. 

The net tension shouldn’t affect the knife cutting unless the tension is so high that the duckbill is prevented from returning fully to the home position and being sensed by the duckbill home position sensor.  

What does the cut net look like?  Nice neat cut or horribly ragged?  Wouldn’t surprise me that the net knife is rather dull and the knife is tripping but not able to cut the net successfully.  Both my balers quit cutting the net right at the 1000 bale mark.  One would think NH could send balers out with a properly sharp knife, but no, that doesn’t happen.

Another thing to check is that the spring that snaps the knife over center is properly tensioned.