iowaboy1965

Picked this up a while back. 782 with a newer command 18 that had been rebuilt in the last year. Starts and runs nice. Not sure what they did but has a kill button on the dash as key won't shut it off. Hour meter continues to run also. For now I unhook battery when I shut it down. Need to look at that when I get time.

Dt fan knew i was kinda wanting a sno thrower/blower for this and one I got with it is not correct and small. He picked up a real nice snow thrower  and even tho I suspect he kinda would have liked to have kept it, was nice enough to give me the chance to buy it. 

Hoping to rearrange  things and get everything in a better shed this weekend.

Picked up a set of weights and chains from a xt1 last weekend that I think I can make work. 

20200820_194654.jpg

20201013_163243.jpg

20200912_180641.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

looks good. Almost time to get that thrower mounted!

Sadly I think the time might be closer than I want it to be! 

Mags use a magneto ignition,  the KT used a coil.  Opposite modes of operation.   KT needs 12v to coil to run and 0 volts to shut off.   Mag needs nothing hooked to engine to run, but needs magneto grounded out to stop.

NEVER put 12v to the kill wire on a Mag engine.

Tractor is still partially wired for the KT, hence the hour meter issue and the kill button. 

You cam wire on a relay to use the standard 782 wiring on the mag.  Or change to a 1810/11/12 ignition switch and do some minor rewiring to fix.  

I use the relay method and can post a wiring diagram if you'd like.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Mags use a magneto ignition,  the KT used a coil.  Opposite modes of operation.   KT needs 12v to coil to run and 0 volts to shut off.   Mag needs nothing hooked to engine to run, but needs magneto grounded out to stop.

NEVER put 12v to the kill wire on a Mag engine.

Tractor is still partially wired for the KT, hence the hour meter issue and the kill button. 

You cam wire on a relay to use the standard 782 wiring on the mag.  Or change to a 1810/11/12 ignition switch and do some minor rewiring to fix.  

I use the relay method and can post a wiring diagram if you'd like.

I would be interested yes. Also should the key switch have off, running with lights, running no lights and cranking  positions? I don't think this switch does. And wiring to lights is gone so I don't know if switch has any provision for them but only seems to have off, on and crank.

Took the deck off tonight  and mounted the H42 thrower on it. Chain was a bit loose on sprockets and had a stiff link or 2 from sitting. Adjusted chain and sprayed it down with some penatrating oil. Adjusted the belt a bit and took some measurements on the chute rotator handle. Some pieces that connect  handle to rotator are missing so i will make something.

Hope I dont need it for a long while yet but I think I have it useable enough to try anyway.

20201023_175803.jpg

20201023_175754.jpg

20201023_175743.jpg

Need to lengthen out the chains I got with the wheel weights and add a few cross chains.

Been working on rehabbing and old horse drawn era machine shed to hopefully move all the cubs into. Its coming along but needs more work and a good cleaning and sorting before I can move stuff in. I spent all day last Saturday  digging post holes to shore up 3 that had rotted off and jacking shed up till roof looked straight  again and then bolting new posts to old. Think I raised one corner close to 2 feet to get it where I wanted it. It won't be perfect but will be more weather proof  than the old corn crib that mostly doesn't have a roof anymore. Bought some tarps and coverd things up where they are at for now. 

20201017_123844.jpg

20201017_123853.jpg

20201017_140441.jpg

20201018_164708.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not much new to report but I did find a pair of chains that fit without having to lengthen them. Put them on today in preparation for possible use. Suppose to get some snow  tomorrow into Wednesday.  Hope not as much as they are predicting.  I made a piece to replace a missing one for the chute rotate. Made a coupler to hook them together and can't remember what I did with it. ?

20201228_100613.jpg

20201228_122251.jpg

I also took covers off engine as darn mice had made a nest up under. Still haven't gotten to 682 to make sure I got all the stuff out of it either. Hoping to while I'm off this week. Dont want em but a couple barn cats are tempting to have around sometimes.

Edit, meant to say I took them off, cleaned and replaced them. ?

8 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Not much new to report but I did find a pair of chains that fit without having to lengthen them. Put them on today in preparation for possible use. Suppose to get some snow  tomorrow into Wednesday.  Hope not as much as they are predicting.  I made a piece to replace a missing one for the chute rotate. Made a coupler to hook them together and can't remember what I did with it. ?

20201228_100613.jpg

20201228_122251.jpg

lol, nice to see I'm not the only one who forgets where things are!

You know, that blower looks almost new the more I look at it.  Little rust at a few seams, but otherwise just aged paint.  I bet you could wash and wax that sucker up, maybe even put a buffer on the flat parts.  You could just about say you have a NOS blower.?  Looks sweet on that 782.  Just need to get some head lights in it now.  How is the shed coming along, able to get things moved into it before winter or is that a work in progress?

29 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

lol, nice to see I'm not the only one who forgets where things are!

You know, that blower looks almost new the more I look at it.  Little rust at a few seams, but otherwise just aged paint.  I bet you could wash and wax that sucker up, maybe even put a buffer on the flat parts.  You could just about say you have a NOS blower.?  Looks sweet on that 782.  Just need to get some head lights in it now.  How is the shed coming along, able to get things moved into it before winter or is that a work in progress?

Yes the blower seems to have had very little use.  The cain was stretched enough i had to adjust it a lil and skid plates do show a lil wear but not much paint wore off inside housing. Its in really nice shape. 

Shed is still a work in progress sadly. Have condensed and rearrainged contents several time but need to do more, as well as patch some more holes in walls. Like to work on that this week too, but with impending snow I'm not sure how much of that I will get to.

Was looking at lights, found the wiring all taped up and laying along frame rail. 1 light shows bad with continuity tester and both have missing tabs for wiring to plug into.  Looks like ge 4411s were used. Leds would be nice.

Could not get power to light circuit. Fuse checked ok. Switch still acts like it only has off, run, and start positions and looking in I can see 1 or two loose wires behind dash. I still have not remedied the power always on at ignition situation as per mr plows directions. I wonder if someone put a diff switch in trying to fix that? ?‍♂️

Lol yup. You saw where I posted on shieks thread but yes I did and it worked pretty well. Made a few adjustments along the way. Now if I can get those headlights working! Needed em the other night before I was done. 

20201230_140125.jpg

20201230_140046.jpg

20201230_140032.jpg

I think I have at least 2 lights around here that would work for now. The bigger problem at the moment is getting the time to dig into the wiring/switch and figure out what somebody did before me so I have power out to end of wiring loom. 

8 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I think I have at least 2 lights around here that would work for now. The bigger problem at the moment is getting the time to dig into the wiring/switch and figure out what somebody did before me so I have power out to end of wiring loom. 

Lights run off the key switch.  They are on a fuse.  Pretty much it.  Takes about 4 minutes to thoroughly check if you're slow. There are only about 3 possible faults, and you can rewire the front half in as much time. 

I realize its not the space shuttle. But sometimes I'm slower than slow i guess. And other things get in the way too. 

As I think I said switch only has off, running , and start positions. As far as I can tell. Considered robbing switch of 682 but it has the same number of positions. Wiring plug looks what I think is original on 682, 782 the plug is gone and individual  wires plugged into switch terminals. Add to that a few loose wires not plugged into anything I need to trace down before I decide where to plug them in. Front half of the wiring harness looks good. Was just tapped up and laying along frame rail. 

I could run a new wire and a toggle switch quickly, but I prefer not to drill any holes in the dash and keep it as original looking as I can.  So I guess I need a switch and 3 or 4 minutes even being slow to make the repair. 

Archived