My 5088 really smells strong with exhaust flumes. Is there a place in the firewall to check? It has the standard length exhaust pipe so I don’t think it is pulling it in through the rear air intake for the cab. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

All your insulation and sound proofing in place and floor mat??? What about the muffler leaking under the hood?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mrfred54 said:

All your insulation and sound proofing in place and floor mat??? What about the muffler leaking under the hood?

That’s the first thing I thought of, is does it still have a muffler?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It still has a muffler. I can’t remember if my 50 or 54 has the newer looking muffler but I’ll have to check it out this weekend. Might be the time to go to a straight pipe. :) 

I thought that the reverse fan system would create enough suction that it wouldn’t be a problem too. 

The reverse flow fan might pull fumes out of the engine bay if it was open to the engine compartment, but it isn't, so....... duh, it isn't going to pull leaking exhaust.  

@66 Series Farmer did you open the side panel and look for exhaust leaks prior to making a post? 

13 minutes ago, pete23 said:

There is a channel on right side under the hood to pull heat and fumes forward from manifold area .

It's not big enough. If the entire fan was exposed it still might not pull fumes from the back of the muffler area, or a leak at the #6 port.

3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

It's not big enough. If the entire fan was exposed it still might not pull fumes from the back of the muffler area, or a leak at the #6 port.

but it is there.   You are so contrary. 

• Like 1

If it has a exhaust leak under the hood it will be easy to see because of all the soot. I just replaced a muffler yesterday because it was starting to leak i put a eliminator on it, that was the last muffler tractor we had and highly recommend anyone to do so. Call Mike Links he will fix you up right 

4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

The reverse flow fan might pull fumes out of the engine bay if it was open to the engine compartment, but it isn't, so....... duh, it isn't going to pull leaking exhaust.  

@66 Series Farmer did you open the side panel and look for exhaust leaks prior to making a post? 

Come on J Mech what difference does It make if he did or didnt. He asked a question we offered a solution. 

I also get bothered by the constant comments about owners manuals here. Yah yah yah we all know the manual shows most of what we are talking about. But if we did that every single time we wouldnt have as much to talk about here would we. I for one enjoy the conversation. And I ask lots of dumb questions as well for the record. And I do have all manuals for my tractors as well for the record. Let's just keep on keeping on 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
42 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Come on J Mech what difference does It make if he did or didnt.

I guess I just expect people to try and solve problems before asking questions, or asking for help.  That's what I teach my kids, or try to.  Critical thinking.  I have no problem answering questions, having discussions, whatever.  But there are plenty enough legit questions to keep us all entertained.  I think one of the biggest problems of the Internet is a loss of critical thinking.  No one even attempts to problem solve.  Tractor quits, car isn't working.... just give the symptoms on the Internet and 25 people will give their opinion.  Some opinions from experts, some from people who are just regurgitating info they read.  There really is no reason not to try and solve a problem, or at least look things over before asking questions.  Does it matter?  I think it does.  I don't want my kids growing up to wear a mask all the time and lock themselves at home because someone on the Internet or on TV told them they needed to.  We need more critical thinkers, and need to encourage people to be better problem solvers.  Otherwise, will there be anyone left out there who will be able to answer questions....? It's getting harder to find good technicians that aren't just glorified part changers.  Believe me, I employed mechanics.

Yes, it matters. I for one find it frustrating when a poster has not even looked a machine over or made any attempt to ascertain what a particular problem is before making a post.  But I guess I'm in the minority.  

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

I guess I just expect people to try and solve problems before asking questions, or asking for help.  That's what I teach my kids, or try to.  Critical thinking.  I have no problem answering questions, having discussions, whatever.  But there are plenty enough legit questions to keep us all entertained.  I think one of the biggest problems of the Internet is a loss of critical thinking.  No one even attempts to problem solve.  Tractor quits, car isn't working.... just give the symptoms on the Internet and 25 people will give their opinion.  Some opinions from experts, some from people who are just regurgitating info they read.  There really is no reason not to try and solve a problem, or at least look things over before asking questions.  Does it matter?  I think it does.  I don't want my kids growing up to wear a mask all the time and lock themselves at home because someone on the Internet or on TV told them they needed to.  We need more critical thinkers, and need to encourage people to be better problem solvers.  Otherwise, will there be anyone left out there who will be able to answer questions....? It's getting harder to find good technicians that aren't just glorified part changers.  Believe me, I employed mechanics.

Yes, it matters. I for one find it frustrating when a poster has not even looked a machine over or made any attempt to ascertain what a particular problem is before making a post.  But I guess I'm in the minority.  

And I'm behind you a 100%. In my field critical thinking is imperative. If you dont you could get killed or seriously injured. But I dont feel the need to belittle people for asking a question. I would like to see more kids grow up knowing how to solve problems including myself. I look at it like if it's his exhaust leaking and he finds it and that fixes it we helped somebody. Might be the only person we helped all day so I feel good about it. If not let's keep digging. Two different attitudes i suppose.  

Example. I got a ticket to go have a look at a machine that wouldnt work. Says batteries are charged but wont run. Hop out and chargers hooked up but just sitting there doing nothing. The batteries are dead as a hammer.  Throw a new board on the charger and away they go. I told them what was going on but at no point did I make them feel bad. No need for that. Could they of looked at the charger amp gauge and seen 0? Could they of looked at the battery meter? Sure...    anyway your a wealth of knowledge proven here but we all come across a different way I guess. End of my complaint 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you turn fan on inside the cab .... it will likely disappear.   It pressurized cab.  I find my 3688 will get fumes too, from blow by tube.  It comes in around the gear shifters on mine.  Don't  know if there should be any insulation in there but would be home for nice over winter, so as long as my fan works, it solves my issue.

16 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Come on J Mech what difference does It make if he did or didnt. He asked a question we offered a solution. 

I also get bothered by the constant comments about owners manuals here. Yah yah yah we all know the manual shows most of what we are talking about. But if we did that every single time we wouldnt have as much to talk about here would we. I for one enjoy the conversation. And I ask lots of dumb questions as well for the record. And I do have all manuals for my tractors as well for the record. Let's just keep on keeping on 

I chuckle about the owners manual. I have found most of the old tractor and machinery  owner manuals actually do a very good job of explaining and guiding the novice owner through machine settings, operation and repairs.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 3:31 PM, J-Mech said:

No your not in the minority. I too look it over, see if it is apparent what the problem is before I run for owners,repair manual or call and ask my buddy who repairs my stuff that I can't or am to lazy anymore to do. (More of the latter then the former)Taught my kids boys and girls to do the same and try to be self sufficient, his a long way to build confidence to be on their own.I don't want to look dumb and waste another's time if it is apparent and if it's something I can figure out and fix on my own.Thats how you learn but you also learn by asking questions.I ask tons of them.But maybe the OP did do a preliminary investigation,came up empty and just failed to mention it.I find give the benefit of the doubt at least once is always good business and makes good neighbors.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, J-Mech said:

It is open on the right side it has a spot that it pull from back to around the turbo there is a piece of weather strip that seals it to the hood

47 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

It is open on the right side it has a spot that it pull from back to around the turbo there is a piece of weather strip that seals it to the hood

I meant without all the enclosed ducting.  Yes, there is a small duct that takes some heat out.  Pete already brought it up, and I replied. 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, 66 Series Farmer said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It still has a muffler. I can’t remember if my 50 or 54 has the newer looking muffler but I’ll have to check it out this weekend. Might be the time to go to a straight pipe. :) 

I thought that the reverse fan system would create enough suction that it wouldn’t be a problem too. 

An exhaust leak can increase the volume of air under the hood. The fan does draw air through the engine compartment but it is a rather small percentage of the total airflow.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Maynard said:

An exhaust leak can increase the volume of air under the hood. The fan does draw air through the engine compartment but it is a rather small percentage of the total airflow.

That's an understatement.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:30 PM, 88power said:

If it has a exhaust leak under the hood it will be easy to see because of all the soot. I just replaced a muffler yesterday because it was starting to leak i put a eliminator on it, that was the last muffler tractor we had and highly recommend anyone to do so. Call Mike Links he will fix you up right 

I removed the muffler out from under the hood on my 1086 years ago smartest thing I did cramming that bulky hot muffler under them hoods was a mistake I was always fixing leaks brake valve steering hand pump after I went with the eliminator it lowed my exhaust gas temp 100 degrees even  

• Like 2