I was cleaning this axe head up, it says Sager Chemical 1936, id have been more careful if i had know there was anything legible. Im sure it was re-handled at some point and that is what i was doing. 

E90EF0CA-43B1-4E23-92AB-3F0D8ED90EDA.jpeg

7458330B-C8A3-409D-8532-7EC6522BCD26.jpeg

B8EAF5CE-42C2-4570-83E9-2A09D053B440.jpeg

5E46E3D5-43EA-47D4-B55A-328876E662F2.jpeg

• Like 1

An axe once was an important tool in a tool-kit.  People would call their axe by brand. I believe a Browning was the AXE that Grandma had, Grandpa died before I was born (he supplemented is meager farm income with firewood around 1940) but Grandma lived until 1959, and she still had his axe.

I've got a double bit sager , they are worth a pretty penny now.  I'm not a axe collector but I seen the writing on mine when I cleaned it up and looked them up found a few for sale.  Will never sell this one it was my grandfathers.

• Like 1

Now you know ! 

How is a throw axe made? 

My girl went ace throwing a while ago and they looked like regular hatchets, I’ve also seen double edge throwers with short handles .

Is the skill in the hands or in the axe?

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

How is a throw axe made? 

My girl went ace throwing a while ago and they looked like regular hatchets, I’ve also seen double edge throwers with short handles .

Is the skill in the hands or in the axe?

Not sure how to answer that , my throwing axe started as double bited , and eventually we were throwing single. Seems like competitive throwing was with double, they have a very broad head and a short handle ... they remind me a lot of an executioners axe. 
there is definitely a skill, but in think anyone with good visual spacial skills can become proficient. 

• Thanks 1

I dont know why, but I like axes and hatchets. Gransfors Bruks is a favorite of mine. I also like Norlund and specifically the “hudson bay” style of axes and hatchets. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Tnfarmer said:

I've got a double bit sager , they are worth a pretty penny now.  I'm not a axe collector but I seen the writing on mine when I cleaned it up and looked them up found a few for sale.  Will never sell this one it was my grandfathers.

I Have my Grandfathers axe,  It gets used to cut tree limbs that have fallen on fence's or gate openings,   We have 105 acres of 5 wire high tensile fencing,     After I use it for a while,  I will stop and pause,   and it seems memories of my childhood with my grandfather appear in my head,   not memories of chopping wood,   Memories of farming,    Great Memories!!

Why does that chunk of steel release a "Video" in my head, of my Grandfather doing chores when I was 5 or 6 years old.  And this enjoyable memory doesn't involve the axe or cutting wood.

This Axe belonged to other family members before my grandfather owned it,  He often referred to the "Axe's" Uses & Duties in its life,    Many chicken heads were removed,    Frozen ponds had "Fishing Holes" sliced open with this Axe,   how many cords of wood was split for our grandparents wood stove.

I do refer to this axe as "Grandpa's Axe",    Perhaps just that statement, starts things in my head.

Will My Grandchildren treasure the "Odd" stuff around the farm that we do?

My 2 cents, Jim Droscha  

• Like 1