best carb for 028 Super AV Wood Boss

ok folks, chime in as desired, no OEM carbs available per Stihl Dealer, told me to go online and roll the dice. I see there are about half a dozen options on chicong aftermarkets. My uncle took it to a small engine shop before dropping it off with me and it appears they attempted a carb kit as the seals in it look new but one is torn a little and its VERY CLEAN for a 40yo carb. That being said I have not attempted to get it to run with the torn looking accellerator looking pump from my ford carb days.

The shop told my uncle to start with a replacement carb and see if it would go. It has spark and good compression so I presume a good amount of firewater should make it sing - any thoughts on an aftermarket carb brand due to the options? 

I’d look for a good used one. Chainsawr with the r on the end are easy to deal with if they have it. Find out the model number and search for it by part number. I see it had a walbro wt-16b

• Thanks 1

The replacement are way cheap, I can't see how you can go wrong. Ran into the same situation on a motorcycle carb. Oem wanted $500, new aftermarket $46 through amazing, works like a charm. Looks identical. They are making identical knock offs that use parts identical to oem. Don't get me wrong, not a fan of those "over there " manufacturers, but when oem can't get you one, or the parts. What else do you do?

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

The replacement are way cheap, I can't see how you can go wrong. Ran into the same situation on a motorcycle carb. Oem wanted $500, new aftermarket $46 through amazing, works like a charm. Looks identical. They are making identical knock offs that use parts identical to oem. Don't get me wrong, not a fan of those "over there " manufacturers, but when oem can't get you one, or the parts. What else do you do?

Mark

Ill agree with this statement. In the last year i have rebuilt 3 chainsaws. The aftermarket supply for saws within a reasonable amount of age in boundless and cheap. You can buy a carb, fuel line, spark plug, impulse line and fuel filter for Stihl MS series saws for a tick over 20 bucks. Hard to get hurt at that price when you get all that for that price.

Let us know what you get and how it works. I have a Stihl 028 Super AV wood boss too. When the time comes id like to know what works.

• Thanks 1

I put one I got from EBAY on my 028. Was very inexpensive and works like a new one. The other problem I had with mine when I first got it was the crank seals were bad. Main symptom of that is not being able to adjust the carb rich enough to make it run right. Also, check the rubber boot under the carb to make sure it doesn't have a hole in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok i will do eeeny meeeeny on the 9 different flavors before i order something,  and yes its a walbro in it now - fuel line looks good, fuel filter clean, vent line looks good too, i noticed the rubber boot thing on the cylinder where carb bolts have to get my better readers out to investigate it and lots of light - my old eyeballs are crappy - more to come..........

They usually split in the fold where it is almost impossible to see with it installed. With the carb off, it isn't that much more to go ahead and take the boot out to look it over.  It's a fairly common failure point on the older saws, since that rubber will dry rot just like a tire.

• Like 2

I had issues getting carb parts for a Honda generator, it had a broken throttle plate shaft. I ordered a Chinese carb, took all the parts I needed, and repaired the old one. That worked ok. Maybe that is an option? FWIW I’d take that carb,  toss it in the ultra sonic for a couple spins and blow it out, and try it with new gaskets, and x2 with yellow rose about the boots cracking. 

• Thanks 1

My Stihl dealer has an attic / over head storage area  where they keep old saws that are just for parts .  Last time I was up there I dug threw the pile that was about two foot deep , probably forty or fifty saws.

Do you want me to check them for you?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tnfarmer said:

Yea I've got one on my suzuki 250 it had a mikuni and doesn't run right either but the 028 does.

What model Suzuki 250 do you have? 

Any RL trials bikes ? 

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

My Stihl dealer has an attic / over head storage area  where they keep old saws that are just for parts .  Last time I was up there I dug threw the pile that was about two foot deep , probably forty or fifty saws.

Do you want me to check them for you?

let me run this thing thru the ultrasonic and see what happens i think i can get a gasket to try in it and see what happens from there - gotta check the rubber thing they are talking about i didnt realize it was replaceable it looked made into the cylinder area. 

It has been my experience, (

although there are some absolute genius Rhodes scholarship award winners on here that may contradict me, )

that fuels with ANY amount of Alcohol

MIGHT adversely effect any rubber parts in the fuel system. 

But hey , what would I know about it, I get all my information about everything from face book so it has to be fact!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ding ding ding we have a winner...

It is the alcohol destroying the rubber, buddy had an intake boot that was still intact but like jelly you could poke your finger straight through

Only use premium and check they have no alcohol content use super 94 here for all small engines that sit for any long times of no usage, no crust blocking passages

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BysQGM7l4V4

Video how to on getting to the boot.  On a running saw, the classic symptom is for it to cut off at idle if you flex the handles away from each other. This stretches the boot, opening up the tear enough to lean out the fuel mix and kill it. Also, you can spray carb cleaner down in where the boot is and it will do the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

Any early stuff is not going to have alcohol resistant rubber parts and fuel lines.

If you are lucky enough to live in a state that allows the sale of ethanol free gas use it in any thing that sits for long periods.

And if you have something with steel gas tank the alcohol will attract moisture and make it rust.

Sadly I live in a Lib state and they won't allow the sale of ethanol free gas because it is going to destroy the planet.

So I bring it in from out of state I must be a felon now for transport of contraban with out a mask on.

You can use Ture Fuel but it is big $ and I found it didn't have a good shelf life had some go bad. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Any early stuff is not going to have alcohol resistant rubber parts and fuel lines.

If you are lucky enough to live in a state that allows the sale of ethanol free gas use it in any thing that sits for long periods.

And if you have something with steel gas tank the alcohol will attract moisture and make it rust.

Sadly I live in a Lib state and they won't allow the sale of ethanol free gas because it is going to destroy the planet.

So I bring it in from out of state I must be a felon now for transport of contraban with out a mask on.

You can use Ture Fuel but it is big $ and I found it didn't have a good shelf life had some go bad. 

i think if you put a mask on your can, you should be fine

• Haha 2

Just had a Yamaha 4 wheeler up and start running like complete $hit the other day. It got worse day by day until I finally had to pull it in the shop. The rubber boot between engine and carb had split wide open. Yamaha makes a stupid flange with rubber boot made onto it. So 10 wraps of super 33 electrical tape and shes back in the game until further notice. This part was less than a year old chinese from amazon. Dealer wanted like $120 and amazon was like $25.  Oh well 

I have a nice 028 super. I dont use much any more but suppose I could. Once I bought my 260 pro I have a hard time grabbing that old 028. 

Plus I still have my 041 magnum. 

I have used both so much I have no idea what holds them together. Tank after tank of gas load after load of wood. And they only get attention when they require it. 

• Like 3
On 10/16/2020 at 2:24 AM, Tmtbob said:

I’d look for a good used one. Chainsawr with the r on the end are easy to deal with if they have it. Find out the model number and search for it by part number. I see it had a walbro wt-16b

Any other manufacturer use that carb?  Might be even better it they used it and another brand/type which might swap

• Like 1

Here’s the only thing that gets used in my saws. Great shelf life .  It originally came out in round cans but is now in square ones so if you find it somewhere in a round can it’s probably at least two or three years old. 
CBCBFD0E-FCB0-4EB0-A90D-6274B1111989.thumb.jpeg.cfa3c6330e36d0f614f3f2c0fb782e1e.jpeg

FF3CF2DA-BF44-4A3E-AB57-75E7CFEFD11B.thumb.jpeg.9d31f84b06e0c48c5b749e621cad0e80.jpeg

30AA6E95-7F46-4DCC-B2E5-9256A32B4746.thumb.jpeg.1be7c9705f5cf5ff082e94c6fa638a09.jpeg

• Like 1

i burn at least 6 to 8  gallons per winter cutting wood - another 3 during the summer of 50:1 so mine gets used up quick, we can get ethanol free 91 here that is all i use in anything - those cans of liquid gold stihl juice are a little rich for me it 36.00/gallon online im sure more in stores.