Our "Unmanly" Traits

Couple times a week I get a vanilla latte.WHOLE milk,double shot, no whip cream. 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shoot a 9mm             If I can't get to my .40, .44, or .45😆

I at one time owned a Ford pickup but finally moved up to my Caravan Del Grande. No slippers here. Until my balance comes in the morning, I sit to pee.....

The slipper thread (hand grenade?) I started, which went down a different path, gave me this idea that maybe we could have some fun sharing things about ourselves that are decidely "unmanly". Two ways

Posted Images

I like good coffee also, favorite coffee shop makes me coffee I can't pronounce....

Hate my facial hair....ok I hate maintaining it....

I care deeply for those stuck in the throws of human trafficking and helping them escape and heal....

3 hours ago, Mtaman said:

I cry when I hear taps played

How can you not get a little wet eyed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

How can you not get a little wet eyed. 

....add to this..."'Last Letter Home"".......the late Russell    Smith's  "Amazing Rhythm Aces ".......a beautiful  treatise from the same era as  the "Taps" above.....

...more wet eyes......

Mike

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mtaman said:

I cry when I hear taps played

And amazing grace, the sound of the bagpipes at a somber moment does it to me every time.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I watched "A league of their own" the other night.

And liked it😲

One of my favorite movies. 

“It’s supposed to be hard. It’s the hard that makes it great. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would be doing it” 

I used those lines on the kids for several topics when they were growing up. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

I did to. Had my daughters watching it cause they like softball and are good at it. Dotties uniform is also my 9 year olds Halloween costume this year

That movie was filmed 5 minutes from our house... I can remember the cool thing was to be an extra in the stands.

i was too little at the time 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mike newman said:

....add to this..."'Last Letter Home"".......the late Russell    Smith's  "Amazing Rhythm Aces ".......a beautiful  treatise from the same era as  the "Taps" above.....

...more wet eyes......

Mike

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

And amazing grace, the sound of the bagpipes at a somber moment does it to me every time.

And the ceremony of handing the American Flag to the widow at a funeral. It touches way down deep in me and makes my eyes leak and my heart beat a little faster. 

My oldest, with the Guard, volunteers to do every funeral he can. He feels it an honor. I feel the same. 

• Like 2
On 10/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, KWRB said:

The slipper thread (hand grenade?) I started, which went down a different path, gave me this idea that maybe we could have some fun sharing things about ourselves that are decidely "unmanly". Two ways this could go, either it'll be fun with maybe some self-deprecation and commiseration, or it'll be just me and you all can laugh at my expense. That's okay too. Like I said before, there's nothing more manly in my opinion than a man who knows what he likes and likes it regardless.

Among my least stereotypically "manly" traits, about which others may have an opinion and I couldn't care less.

1. I drive a Chevy Malibu. I've bought three in a row now, going back to 2006 and put about 750,000 miles on them. I like them because 99% of my driving I'm neither hauling nor towing. They're power/weight is among the best outside of sports cars, they're American, and the price is good. I owned one truck, but it was a basketcase and I sold it to local kid who wanted to tinker with it. When I need to tow, I use my wife's Tahoe. When I need a cargo bed, I call in favors from a friend.
  2. I have a custom suit and I LOVE it. I don't wear dress clothes every day, but need to occasionally and a relative works at a menswear store. This thing was made to fit me and I picked out the shape, the fabric, the stitching, the buttons, the liner, the monogramming. I feel like a million bucks in it! On a similar note, new footwear always feels great doesn't matter if it's workboots or dress shoes. Maybe they don't feel great physically at first, but because I wear the heck out of all mine, its a treat when I get something new and I love it.
  3. My favorite music is hard rock/metal, but one of my all time favorite musicians is Gordon Lightfoot. In fact, I've seen Metallica live several times and while they're my favorite, my favorite concert ever was a Gordon Lightfoot concert for which I sat the whole time, in a theater rather than an amphitheater or stadium. Honorable mentions for "non-manly" in my music favorites include Jason Isbell and Frankie Valli.
  4. Don't drink beer hardly at all, and drink liquor virtually never. Would rather drink milk to be honest. It's not a moral thing. I used to drink fairly regularly, but just grew out of enjoying beer. I'd like to learn about and appreciate scotch, but haven't found anyone that could really educate me.
  5. I pay for many vehicle repairs rather than doing them myself. It's purely based on the value of my time. Unless it's brakes, oil, obvious job, there is usually considerable time required to figure out the best way to do something. At my hourly rate, I make more (spend less) by paying someone who knows what they're doing to do it quickly and charge me their hourly rate. If I have the time to do it and it looks like fun, I'll take the time to do it the expensive way (by myself)
  6. I like poetry. I've got no education or experience -I never took a class or whatever. I'm an amateur at best and I'm sure I usually miss the point, but I really like it.
  7. I was a competitive swimmer in my youth and early adulthood, and a boys swimming coach as an adult. I was good at track and did play football for a little bit, but our school teams were abysmal and I was really good at swimming. Yes, I wore a speedo. I even wore one in front of a few thousand people a few times at big competitions like the US Open. Some kids in school were getting up early to do chores (on the few farms left) and I was up early to get in the pool before school and work out. While work is inherently dignified and I have utmost respect for the kids that worked, I did not work in HS except in the summer. But, I swam Division I in college on a small partial scholarship, and the sport was and still is super valuable to the life I've lived so far. Had it not been for being recruited for college, I'd probably not have gotten my engineering degrees and I'd not have had the success I've had in life. For years I reeked of chlorine and had chlorine bleached hair as a result. I've heard all the jokes, none are original. But of all the sports I've been exposed to (all of my friends in college were other very good athletes from various teams) none is purely physically athletic like swimming. It's murder compared to the fun sports like basketball. It's also why I wanted to coach, and why I wanted to coach boys swimming in particular, because it was so great for me.

Well...........it does seem to me you could be a little light on your feet👩 j/k  now OT and I are in agreement on you ladies 👩‍🦰

Now the thing about Gordie - nothing wrong with one of Canada's favorite sons. Edmund Fitz , and 50 years of great songs plus Endless Wire has a great steel guitar , I always thought Pink Floyd with David Gilmour whaling on that song would have been great

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

And the ceremony of handing the American Flag to the widow at a funeral. It touches way down deep in me and makes my eyes leak and my heart beat a little faster. 

My oldest, with the Guard, volunteers to do every funeral he can. He feels it an honor. I feel the same. 

During 36 years we had a few line of duty passings, the worst was the pang fire in ‘95, they rang the final alarm in silence, probably 10,000 firefighters in the coliseum, then amazing grace, the biggest, the toughest, the strongest men and women I knew were misty, something I’ll never forget.

The support for the FDNY after 9/11 was immense from all the left coast depts. but my fear of flying kept me home where I worked numerous shifts for members who weren’t fraidy katz.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, hillman said:

Well...........it does seem to me you could be a little light on your feet👩 j/k  now OT and I are in agreement on you ladies 👩‍🦰

Now the thing about Gordie - nothing wrong with one of Canada's favorite sons. Edmund Fitz , and 50 years of great songs plus Endless Wire has a great steel guitar , I always thought Pink Floyd with David Gilmour whaling on that song would have been great

I’ve always liked lightfoot, geddy and the band are great but with Neil passing I wonder. Lighthouse was good, and one girl sang years ago and then never see her anymore can’t think of her name, dark haired beauty. I know everyone says BTO but not my top pick, lots of great band came out of the frozen north, but don’t get me started on boodhed, boober, uuhhh oh ya bieber!

15 minutes ago, hillman said:

Even lighter with a good pair of slippers!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, hillman said:

I always thought Pink Floyd with David Gilmour whaling on that song would have been great

Damn skippy

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I did a lot of them while on active duty. From a PVT who was drafted for WWI and never left the US to a couple of retired General offices who were combat vets. Never made a difference to to me. They were all brothers in arms. When my dad passed, combat wounded WWII vet, retired SMG, 31 years active duty, they tried telling my mom that we were too far for a funeral detail. We were 600 miles from Ft Riley Ks and and 178 miles from Ft Snelling Mn. I was and active duty E6/Staff Sergeant. About a mount before my dad died I went 750 miles one way with a detail of pall bearers, an officer, a firing squad and a US Army bugler to bury that WWI PVT. Needless to say I was mad and I called the SMG of the Army. We had a half assed funeral detail for my dad. When I got back to Ft Knox I got chewed out! My SMG told me that had I called him he would have sent my platoon plus a bugler from the Ft Knox Band to perform the funeral detail. 1100 miles one way!

Rick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, TP from Central PA said:

I like snow, cold, and Christmas Tree's....................Even more when I buy my own present

You're a sick individual liking that 4 letter S word!  I LOATHE that wretched crap allthough it makes for a good paycheck when we get it.  LOL!!

28 minutes ago, Ihcubguy said:

You're a sick individual liking that 4 letter S word!  I LOATHE that wretched crap allthough it makes for a good paycheck when we get it.  LOL!!

I live for snow, I start pining for it about April, by August I’m in total withdrawal and I don’t start coming back out of it till November. I’m in 7th heaven when the flakes start falling!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I live for snow, I start pining for it about April, by August I’m in total withdrawal and I don’t start coming back out of it till November. I’m in 7th heaven when the flakes start falling!

I used to like snow.  That was before I became a municipal road worker. Now the only thing I like about it is that I get a paycheck for dealing with it

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Unless I have to drive in it.

This was tonight before I hit 30 miles of 20 mph heavy sticky white gold.

I'll get home 45 min later but very happy we are finally getting some moisture.

Should settle the dust in the corrals for cattle work this week.

Yes sir white gold 😁

IMG_20201017_215126517.thumb.jpg.0d96190b58f960be931902a45aecc2c0.jpg

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Add -30 below temperatures and 30+ mph NW winds in South Dakota.

It's called a blizzard that can last for days.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I need to get to Arizona for the winter

PS: A friend uses this statement, a lot!

"A goose has the brain the size of a pea and it still knows enough to go South in the Winter!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, vtfireman85 said:

At home, i sit to pee, I never saw anything manly about a halo of pee spatter and coagulated urine under the toilet base. I don’t care how good ur aim is, it spatters. I do however want a urinal

Even at the age where the old nozzle pressure is reduced due to reduced bladder elasticity, splattering remains an issue.  Therefore, I fully admit to joining you and MTO in the gentleman's porcelain reading club.  Only when appropriate, though.  Options are nice.

Oh, and I have cooked quiche.  Multiple times.  And done most cooking and grocery shopping during the years when my better half was earning more than I did.

• Like 1

Sitting to pee.... all the aforementioned reasons plus: It prevents you're wife from telling you for the umpteenth time that you left the seat up....🤭 

I pay way too much attention to my dogs and grow lots of flowers.   I like antique colonial furniture.

I like older noisy diesel trucks and vintage Italian cars.

I don't always drive a tractor, but when I do its a Farmall!😊

I was going to warm up some 16hr old black coffee last night (making a fresh pot at night seems like a waste)but then my wife offered to make us warm apple cider.  Ok, I’m thinking take cider, put cup in microwave for a minute. Done. Boy was I  wrong.

She melted down brown sugar, regular sugar, cinnamon and something else I didn’t catch in a saucepan to form a “cinnamon dolce syrup”, then she warmed cider in another pot, brought them together in a pair of fancy looking tea cups that I didn’t realize we owned and   “drizzled a swirl of caramel” on top.  

I had no idea. It was like taking the best warm apple pie fresh out of the oven....and drinking it.  I really liked it.  And I sipped it with my pinky up in the air while holding my FooFoo dog on my lap.  

In socks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't care for coffe but if I do drink any it has to be french vanilla, I still like Disney animated movies. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On 10/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, zleinenbach said:

That movie was filmed 5 minutes from our house... I can remember the cool thing was to be an extra in the stands.

i was too little at the time 

I was too young also. I know a person or two that was an extra in that movie. I’m about an hour away.