Opinions on the 2021 ford 7.3 gas in the super duty

23 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Don't forget about GM's 6.6 gasser. We bought one in July in a 2020 2500HD crewcab and I'm impressed. Gets 15-16 daily driving and in a 400 mile trip with the horse trailer, two horses hay and other stuff we averaged 11. My 2010 3500HD with the 6.0 never got better than 13 or so empty and now that it's my service truck loaded with tools it runs around 10. The power is better too. I never could run cruise pulling trailers with the 2010 but this one I can. 

But it’s SOOOOOO UUUUUuUUUuUuUuUuUuuUuuGLY 😢Like Cinderella and her step sisters

11310B3B-185C-4C85-BD99-1BDA902768B5.jpeg

0ABE6801-A206-4673-B0F2-6F05CC1C3E50.jpeg

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

But it’s SOOOOOO UUUUUuUUUuUuUuUuUuuUuuGLY 😢

I agree. We were actually looking for the previous body style used but wound up with a new one instead. I don't regret it as the 6.6 is way better than the 6.0 Its growing on me and it will get a ranch hand bumper at some point to cover up that front end a little. My neighbor bought a 3500 dually with the gas that I just put a bale bed on and he is using as a farm truck/daily driver. He is running around 14mpg on the farm. My farrier bought a 2500 last month and pulling his farrier trailer gets 14-15, empty 15-16. 

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

what is your issue with teh def and it being a pain? and lost of $$$? its about 2.4/gallon here when i catch it on sale. its all automatic so not sure of the issues however i have only had my truck for a couple thousand miles so far. 

Oh young grasshopper, you will learn of the problems with def......

• Haha 1

i hope to pass it along to the next guy LOL 

4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

9 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

What’s def haven’t had to put any in mine yet first tank has lasted 124000

yours is special tho..........i was wondering if they make an aftermarket def unit that doesnt have the dang muffler incorporated in it. mines so dang quiet its almost too quiet 

Here's my real world experience. Went on a 200 mile round trip on Saturday pulling a 25+5 tandem dually gooseneck to get a feeder wagon. One way empty and back "loaded". Max speed was around 62.

IMG_20201018_174145091.thumb.jpg.23850115a36195a8e1e0be173fd399cb.jpg

IMG_20201017_143314589_HDR.thumb.jpg.d825e82158f7a2c0ceba999e471dc5c9.jpg

The old adage of "able to pass everything but a gas station" really fits this truck.

Jesse

• Haha 1
On 10/15/2020 at 10:37 PM, searcyfarms said:

yours is special tho..........i was wondering if they make an aftermarket def unit that doesnt have the dang muffler incorporated in it. mines so dang quiet its almost too quiet 

You had a 6.0 before which I think might be one of the noisiest engines available.  A 7.3 diesel is quieter than a 6.0.  

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

Here's my real world experience. Went on a 200 mile round trip on Saturday pulling a 25+5 tandem dually gooseneck to get a feeder wagon. One way empty and back "loaded". Max speed was around 62.

IMG_20201018_174145091.thumb.jpg.23850115a36195a8e1e0be173fd399cb.jpg

IMG_20201017_143314589_HDR.thumb.jpg.d825e82158f7a2c0ceba999e471dc5c9.jpg

The old adage of "able to pass everything but a gas station" really fits this truck.

Jesse

I’m not prejudiced against gas or diesel in a pickup,  it depends on what your application is.  I will say for the diesel up charge and the increased cost to keep it going will pay for many gas station stops.  

On 10/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, jass1660 said:

It seems these light duty setups have some idiotic routines to clear DEF faults too with weird drive cycles required on Fords.  HD stuff is pretty simple.  

On 10/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, searcyfarms said:

from the research i have done on a couple ford forums with the 7.3 11 to 13mpg TOPS empty - 7 to 9mpg under 7500lb  loads - 5 to 7 up to 15K loads over that well 2.5 to 5mpg depending on speed/weight/terrain. 

There is a good youtube video on them and their 2.8ish maybe it was 2.9 running the gauntlet in colorado - i cant remember what the trailer weight was 

there is no way i could bite on that kind of mileage our 460 back in the 70s did better than that 

Power takes energy....

Prius are for mpg.  Trucks are for work/play

Ive been reading 6.4 hemi and 7.3 gas reviews and maj are really happy.  6.6 chev not see much yet.  I jist did a 3000 turbo on my duramax.  I tow 30k+ frequently and hardly drive it otherwise.  A gas would be just fine but that pass with a load of heifers.  Ive been thinking selling our 2 duramax pickups and getting newish gas ones.  Then with savings on fuel and extra from sales have cattle hauled for now.  I honestly would never own a diesel if we didnt have that 28' trailer of heifers.  I see almost no value.  Mpg isnt amazing (except empty on free way ive seen 19+.  Low teens normally and 9 to 11 with trailer) and with higher price filters and any services....def isnt a big deal but it had a repair too (90k miles) and it dont use a ton.  But its another thing.  I am not a Delete it all guy....no one i know whos deleted everything has had the reliability.  Just stuff pops up here and there vs stock.  I tuned up my old gas 05 and looovvveeed it but it was simmmple vs a diesel i figured.  And when you pull 30k up a significant pass at 70mph for 10 miles.....why crank it up?

Sounds like youd do just fine with a 7.3.  I wonder if in 10 years diesels wont have the resale?  Just dont seem like the reliability is same as back in the pre AlGore days

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Power takes energy....

Prius are for mpg.  Trucks are for work/play

Ive been reading 6.4 hemi and 7.3 gas reviews and maj are really happy.  6.6 chev not see much yet.  I jist did a 3000 turbo on my duramax.  I tow 30k+ frequently and hardly drive it otherwise.  A gas would be just fine but that pass with a load of heifers.  Ive been thinking selling our 2 duramax pickups and getting newish gas ones.  Then with savings on fuel and extra from sales have cattle hauled for now.  I honestly would never own a diesel if we didnt have that 28' trailer of heifers.  I see almost no value.  Mpg isnt amazing (except empty on free way ive seen 19+.  Low teens normally and 9 to 11 with trailer) and with higher price filters and any services....def isnt a big deal but it had a repair too (90k miles) and it dont use a ton.  But its another thing.  I am not a Delete it all guy....no one i know whos deleted everything has had the reliability.  Just stuff pops up here and there vs stock.  I tuned up my old gas 05 and looovvveeed it but it was simmmple vs a diesel i figured.  And when you pull 30k up a significant pass at 70mph for 10 miles.....why crank it up?

Sounds like youd do just fine with a 7.3.  I wonder if in 10 years diesels wont have the resale?  Just dont seem like the reliability is same as back in the pre AlGore days

I just think the "Glory Days" of the diesel light truck are fading fast thanks to Al and his friends. Heck of it is I'm not sure when looking at the whole picture there really is any environmental benefit anyhow. 

• Thanks 2