Jump to content

Opinions on the 2021 ford 7.3 gas in the super duty


Recommended Posts

On Sept 4 my 2013 F350 and J&M wagon were totaled in a crash. Son and I not injured, other driver airlifted. Other veh was a 99 deville that came left of center at around 60 mph. Got settlement today so will order truck next week. After 7 new diesels am leaning to a gas as I only drive them about 4000 mi annually anymore. My crashed one had 37000 mi and my intent was to not need another at my age and limited use, I'm 60. Only thing done to last one was a DEF injector 200 mi before crash. All were F 350s and only problem child was the 05.  Will be a crew cab, dually, 10 ft flat, 430 axle, 4x4. 8500$ difference from big gas to the 6.7 D. pull a 32 ft tandem/dual  gooseneck with 8 to 10 ton round bales on. Old unit was 17500 LB tare so gross 35000 ish. 90% of hauls under 5 mile. I am thinking the gas would suffice, HP similar, gas has about half the torque. Anybody out there got a 7.3 ?  Good, bad, ugly on the 2020 7.3 gas ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you and your son were not hurt

I couldn't make it link but Jessie in WI had a three page thread on March 6 on this engine. I think the title of his thread was "Ford 7.3 Gas Engine"

Type that in the search bar top right corner and it should bring it up. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

I couldn't make it link but Jessie in WI had a three page thread on March 6 on this engine. 

I think the title of his thread was "Ford 7.3 Gas Engine"

Type that in the search bar top right corner and it should bring it up. 

Thanks

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a gas 7.3 but I do have a 2001 7.3 F350 diesel I’ve owned for 18 years. & 7.3 Excursion (wife’s)  IMHO I think that the epa  emissions have killed the savings and advantages of the Diesel engine in pickup trucks.  I think the 7.3 gas is a good if not better option,  cheaper fuel per gallon, no DEF to buy.  No Turbo charger to leak or fail.  No intercooler.  No glow plugs, circuits or controllers.  High pressure oil pumps, no  more 4.5 gallon oil changes.  Don’t get me wrong, I like my 7.3 diesels but I think a simple push rod 7.3 gas naturally aspirated engine could be a great thing.

from what I understand Ford plans on putting that 7.3 gas in the F250,350,450,550, F600, &F700.  Imagine the sheer number of Fleet vehicles for municipalities, power companies, gas and oil industry utilizing it.  the parts and knowledge of this new 7.3 will be vast.

At today’s fuel price of $2 per gallon you can buy 4250 gallons of fuel instead of “ upgrading to the 6.7” to cover your difference in MPG loss

i don’t think you will have any issues with the torque and towing capabilities with your camper or GN

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2018 at work we got a new F650 and F750 with the 6.8V10 gas. The 650 is a long chassis with a switch n go bed and the 750 is a single axle dump.  I was worried about them being gutless, but that has not been the case at all. They have both done the jobs they were intended for with no problems. Fuel mileage is averaging 3.9 mpg. But, we don't put a lot of miles on, so we can live with that. The UD diesel that the 650 replaced had legitimately spent more time on the hook being towed back to the dealership for DEF and burn system repairs than we had driven it. If it didn't like the emissions' coming out the tailpipe, it would shut down in the middle of the road. It's really nice not having to worry about that anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gasses are always a solid option, you just have to ask yourself (and do the math) if you can accept fuel economy cut in half, and going a bit slower when loaded.  Diesels are okay, but theres A LOT of expensive components on them.  As I always say, I can blow a rod out through a gasser, and drop a brand new OEM engine in cheaper than a catastrophic fuel system repair/replacement bill would be on a common rail engine.  Same goes with other catastrophic failures.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mitch 865 said:

I have a 2016 F350 SRW 4X4 with 6.7L diesel in it. The only complaint that I have is the def is real pain and $$$. If the 7.3L gas was available back when I bought my truck I would have bought one.

 

As far as the def on mine I don't recall ever adding any more than 1 jug between oil change intervals. When at dealer being serviced they would top it off. Seemed very minimal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve heard the new7.3 is good people like them  mileage sucks with either I’ve had couple diesel 6.0 6.7 and a few big blocks never had a gas get worse mileage then the diesel when pulling hard light loads are different I do like my 6.7 great motor but if I could put my 514 in my 2016 f350 I wouldn’t have a diesel 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Edsfarms said:

I don’t have a gas 7.3 but I do have a 2001 7.3 F350 diesel I’ve owned for 18 years. & 7.3 Excursion (wife’s)  IMHO I think that the epa  emissions have killed the savings and advantages of the Diesel engine in pickup trucks.  I think the 7.3 gas is a good if not better option,  cheaper fuel per gallon, no DEF to buy.  No Turbo charger to leak or fail.  No intercooler.  No glow plugs, circuits or controllers.  High pressure oil pumps, no  more 4.5 gallon oil changes.  Don’t get me wrong, I like my 7.3 diesels but I think a simple push rod 7.3 gas naturally aspirated engine could be a great thing.

from what I understand Ford plans on putting that 7.3 gas in the F250,350,450,550, F600, &F700.  Imagine the sheer number of Fleet vehicles for municipalities, power companies, gas and oil industry utilizing it.  the parts and knowledge of this new 7.3 will be vast.

At today’s fuel price of $2 per gallon you can buy 4250 gallons of fuel instead of “ upgrading to the 6.7” to cover your difference in MPG loss

i don’t think you will have any issues with the torque and towing capabilities with your camper or GN

 

I have had very low diesel ownership costs thus far, have never been out of warranty till the 2013 aged out. My 6.7 was at 9 mpg according to the dash over its life with more idle hrs than moving hrs due to loading/unloading time. That would have some impact on mpg. The thought of any current diesel 15 yrs down the road is what is pushing me to a gas. I considered the gas in 13 as my intent was that it was my last truck for haul/pull, I have a 1500 for daily use. Trading a diesel for a gas was never doable as i was trading for very little over, a couple times even less than the cost of the diesel option. I can now move into a new gas for around 3 to 4 grand as I have no trade however there will be 3 grand tax as tax previously was on trade difference only. An insurance check is considered an outright sale by the IRS iirc, so some planning is required there as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my 2016 6.7. It has done me very well to this point. It is sitting on 15.7mpg right now as an average. With that said, if I was to look at a new one I would drive and consider a 7.3 gas. I had an 08’ F250 with a 5.4. I loved the truck but it was a pooch on power. I’m sure the extra 1.9L in size and 15+ years of design innovation would really make the 7.3 a good option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

I have had very low diesel ownership costs thus far, have never been out of warranty till the 2013 aged out. My 6.7 was at 9 mpg according to the dash over its life with more idle hrs than moving hrs due to loading/unloading time. That would have some impact on mpg. The thought of any current diesel 15 yrs down the road is what is pushing me to a gas. I considered the gas in 13 as my intent was that it was my last truck for haul/pull, I have a 1500 for daily use. Trading a diesel for a gas was never doable as i was trading for very little over, a couple times even less than the cost of the diesel option. I can now move into a new gas for around 3 to 4 grand as I have no trade however there will be 3 grand tax as tax previously was on trade difference only. An insurance check is considered an outright sale by the IRS iirc, so some planning is required there as well.

Last time my wife totaled her vehicle our insurance company paid for sales tax too. Maybe your company doesn’t. Heck, maybe ours doesn’t anymore either. They like to change policies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Last time my wife totaled her vehicle our insurance company paid for sales tax too. Maybe your company doesn’t. Heck, maybe ours doesn’t anymore either. They like to change policies.

Does she total them often?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brewcrew said:

Last time my wife totaled her vehicle our insurance company paid for sales tax too. Maybe your company doesn’t. Heck, maybe ours doesn’t anymore either. They like to change policies.

Try to locate a 370000 mi 2013 diesel, crew cab drw, 10 ft flat for valuation. It's a unicorn. Found a few similar but 100000-200000 mi. Yes sales tax was in valuation negotiations. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I like my 2016 6.7. It has done me very well to this point. It is sitting on 15.7mpg right now as an average. With that said, if I was to look at a new one I would drive and consider a 7.3 gas. I had an 08’ F250 with a 5.4. I loved the truck but it was a pooch on power. I’m sure the extra 1.9L in size and 15+ years of design innovation would really make the 7.3 a good option. 

I have some experience with an 08 with a 5.4.  I agree the power was just not there.  I’m sure my 02 f250 2 valve 5.4 would blow the doors off the 08.  Have a 19 250 with a 6.2.  Has all the power I need but I don’t tow a lot with it.  The 7.3 gas is a great addition to the lineup.  It sounds like it was designed off some old proven technology.  I’m pretty sure there isn’t a heavy duty gas pickup that is goinG to get much more than 12-13 miles per gallon Empty.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Sadly yes... lol

in her defense, a Ford Fusion will not survive much of a collision with a deer!!

That’s nothing. 😊 I totaled a Ford Focus on a deer 3 years ago and still drive the car to work every day.  Built Ford Tough. LOL
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I myself am sitting back waiting for the guinea pigs to test the 7.3, i bleed GM but cant ignore an aluminum body and a big gas. Maybe next year. Keep us posted, glad you are ok

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered mine in July and it showed up mid September so I have limited use so far. I'm getting right at 13mpg empty. I took a 16' V-nose enclosed trailer on a 150 mile round trip last Saturday and I'd rather not say what the mileage was. I had the 6.2 in my last truck and this engine coupled with the 10 speed transmission is night and day better for torque and power. Obviously a diesel is got what you want with the low end torque but it sounds like you're not consistently pulling a trailer and the price difference from gas to diesel is significant as you've found out.

The ten speed transmission makes everything smoother. When I was pulling the trailer I went up a hill at 70mph and didn't even notice it dropped down 3 gears.

I have the F350, four door cab, 6'8" box.

Jesse

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I like my 2016 6.7. It has done me very well to this point. It is sitting on 15.7mpg right now as an average. With that said, if I was to look at a new one I would drive and consider a 7.3 gas. I had an 08’ F250 with a 5.4. I loved the truck but it was a pooch on power. I’m sure the extra 1.9L in size and 15+ years of design innovation would really make the 7.3 a good option. 

I have some experience with an 08 with a 5.4.  I agree the power was just not there.  I’m sure my 02 f250 2 valve 5.4 would blow the doors off the 08.  Have a 19 250 with a 6.2.  Has all the power I need but I don’t tow a lot with it.  The 7.3 gas is a great addition to the lineup.  It sounds like it was designed off some old proven technology.  I’m pretty sure there isn’t a heavy duty gas pickup that is goinG to get much more than 12-13 miles per gallon Empty.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the short <5mi hauls you are saying will be 90% of the hauling, almost any engine would suffice. Going from the field to the farm you probably don't get above 45mph or less so HP and fuel efficiency is not as much of a concern. Now if you want to tow a loaded trailer 70 mph down the highway for hours, this is where the diesel will shine and outperform any gas. If you are concerned about the 7.3 being unproven the 6.2 would probably serve you and is more established. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mitch 865 said:

I have a 2016 F350 SRW 4X4 with 6.7L diesel in it. The only complaint that I have is the def is real pain and $$$. If the 7.3L gas was available back when I bought my truck I would have bought one.

 

what is your issue with teh def and it being a pain? and lost of $$$? its about 2.4/gallon here when i catch it on sale. its all automatic so not sure of the issues however i have only had my truck for a couple thousand miles so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

On Sept 4 my 2013 F350 and J&M wagon were totaled in a crash. Son and I not injured, other driver airlifted. Other veh was a 99 deville that came left of center at around 60 mph. Got settlement today so will order truck next week. After 7 new diesels am leaning to a gas as I only drive them about 4000 mi annually anymore. My crashed one had 37000 mi and my intent was to not need another at my age and limited use, I'm 60. Only thing done to last one was a DEF injector 200 mi before crash. All were F 350s and only problem child was the 05.  Will be a crew cab, dually, 10 ft flat, 430 axle, 4x4. 8500$ difference from big gas to the 6.7 D. pull a 32 ft tandem/dual  gooseneck with 8 to 10 ton round bales on. Old unit was 17500 LB tare so gross 35000 ish. 90% of hauls under 5 mile. I am thinking the gas would suffice, HP similar, gas has about half the torque. Anybody out there got a 7.3 ?  Good, bad, ugly on the 2020 7.3 gas ?

i dont think a 1st yr engine has enough history for me to pull teh trigger yet - however the cost of one vs a diesel is much cheaper but you are giving up a significant amount in many areas, if you are running those kind of gears you wouldnt notice the difference especially going small distances. I dont think you could justify the diesel in that regard however over teh long haul if you keep thing forever and lot of miles the diesel will pay for itself over and over. ive lived it and done the math and its very wise if you run them for a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I myself am sitting back waiting for the guinea pigs to test the 7.3, i bleed GM but cant ignore an aluminum body and a big gas. Maybe next year. Keep us posted, glad you are ok

Don't forget about GM's 6.6 gasser. We bought one in July in a 2020 2500HD crewcab and I'm impressed. Gets 15-16 daily driving and in a 400 mile trip with the horse trailer, two horses hay and other stuff we averaged 11. My 2010 3500HD with the 6.0 never got better than 13 or so empty and now that it's my service truck loaded with tools it runs around 10. The power is better too. I never could run cruise pulling trailers with the 2010 but this one I can. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

from the research i have done on a couple ford forums with the 7.3 11 to 13mpg TOPS empty - 7 to 9mpg under 7500lb  loads - 5 to 7 up to 15K loads over that well 2.5 to 5mpg depending on speed/weight/terrain. 

There is a good youtube video on them and their 2.8ish maybe it was 2.9 running the gauntlet in colorado - i cant remember what the trailer weight was 

there is no way i could bite on that kind of mileage our 460 back in the 70s did better than that 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...