Cat 3406E water issue.

20 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Finished most of Harvest so back to Cat issues. Replace the injector cups and O-rings pressurized system to 12 psi plugged in block heater for 48 hours. Pulled injector, stuck a 3/16 rod down hole came back with red tip. Pulled head off the gasket fire ring looked good. when I hit the valves with a rubber mallet I had water out the intake valves. Ordered replacement head with new spacer plate and bolts. Did a check on the liner protrusion nothing appears out wack. Question is between spacer plate and shim/gasket whatever it's called is that put on dry? where the water inserts go the block does have some corrosion issues there is there some sealer I use on the block side?

Cat makes a sealer for some of the water ferrule or tube things. There is a spec on how much corrosion they can have. P. M. Cat tech he will have the info on this. I have always gotten by with some pretty rough holes they seem to seal.

A little erosion at the water ferrules is ok. I have used some mixer cup epoxy without issue. Best bet is a resurface, but that requires engine removal and teardown.

The spacer plate gasket goes on dry if you have the updated gasket set that has the oil drain cups. If you don't have them, use aviation form-a-gasket on it.

6 hours ago, dale560 said:

Cat makes a sealer for some of the water ferrule or tube things. There is a spec on how much corrosion they can have. P. M. Cat tech he will have the info on this. I have always gotten by with some pretty rough holes they seem to seal.

I bought some loctite flexable sealer which is good to 300 degrees
5 hours ago, Cattech said:

A little erosion at the water ferrules is ok. I have used some mixer cup epoxy without issue. Best bet is a resurface, but that requires engine removal and teardown.

The spacer plate gasket goes on dry if you have the updated gasket set that has the oil drain cups. If you don't have them, use aviation form-a-gasket on it.

Mixer cup epoxy??

I have used a thin coat of black silicon on the water jacket seals just for extra security. Ive had one start leaking a few years back on the backside of the block. 
  My local machine shop will cut the erosion section out and replace it with a stainless ring that’s better than a new block when they are done. 

4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Its winter.............may a wall do in frame while your this far.😁

Troy, I'm not Dutch but my brain thinks like one.  If this truck was getting used 75,000-100,000 miles a year I would consider it. 20,000 is more like it and with no blow by and liners still good what else could possible go wrong? You guys don't need to answer that. I'm going to roll the dice, sh3t snake eyes!!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Troy, I'm not Dutch but my brain thinks like one.  If this truck was getting used 75,000-100,000 miles a year I would consider it. 20,000 is more like it and with no blow by and liners still good what else could possible go wrong? You guys don't need to answer that. I'm going to roll the dice, sh3t snake eyes!!

About 2 years down the road a liner Oring will leak. Just kidding put the head on adjust the cam and overhead good to go. I take it this isn’t the first cat you worked on . Some people say many of  the engines worked on are a tooth out of time if it explains it right. There is no real timing marks per se just tdc and lining dot up with casting line.

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

About 2 years down the road a liner Oring will leak. Just kidding put the head on adjust the cam and overhead good to go. I take it this isn’t the first cat you worked on . Some people say many of  the engines worked on are a tooth out of time if it explains it right. There is no real timing marks per se just tdc and lining dot up with casting line.

Back in early 80's 1693 was last cat I O/H  It was running around up in Troy's area till a few years ago.  it's had a lot of time off but still running to this day as a hobby truck.  The 3406E   hadn't been opened up for any issues  except running over head and the mains&rods several years ago. When the flywheel pin dropped in the cam gear lined up with the mark. As far as setting injector timing I was reading lower setting on pin setting was like advancing timing 3 degrees more responsive?