Blower for Detroit

A friend has a 238 Detroit in a Gradall that the blower set up and broke the shafts. Where can a guy get parts or a used one?? Its just a farm machine. 

We Have a 6V92 in our field Queen chopper,  Several years ago I needed an Exhaust manifold,  Went to Facebook Market place,   Typed in my Parts request, with in 24 hours several salvage yards responded,  The longer I looked,  We found several 2 cycle engine builders,  in our area,  Those engines were in a lot of farm  &  road construction applications.  

The 2-53 blowers were modified to fit the Drag strip crowd,   Super charged V8 engines in Street Rods!

I think some of those parts may be Available at the Engine Modifiers Websites.

I would purchase a Complete unit, if he could, The inside of that housing has such close tolerances, any scaring inside a housing will change the performance of that engine.

Good Luck,  Jim Droscha

Weren't those either a 2-53 of 2-71?

The 238 was a 6-71, if I remember right, and that was 238 HP.

I might have one. I need to check my storage unit ...

• Like 1

I have not found it yet but it should be here if it's still needed

I did find it. Off of a 671 in the Gardner Denver air compressor we have. We have the same engine in a truck and a T600 Gallion grader also. Let me know if you have need for one @cwinn

IMG_20201017_112025220.jpg

IMG_20201017_112031820.jpg

IMG_20201017_112037013.jpg

1602948339174-1287867529.jpg

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, oleman said:

Anyone have a good one for a 3-71 ?

No , I might have one for a 653 

On 10/14/2020 at 7:20 AM, cwinn said:

A friend has a 238 Detroit in a Gradall

How many cylinder engine ? and how many cubes per cylinder ?

What I'm trying to figure out is it a 3-53 or  4-71 or 6v53 etc

Yup the 238 and Detroit numbers don’t add up?

1 hour ago, Kevingweq said:

How many cylinder engine ? and how many cubes per cylinder ?

What I'm trying to figure out is it a 3-53 or  4-71 or 6v53 etc

45 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Yup the 238 and Detroit numbers don’t add up?

238 hp, 671 straight 6 cylinder. Was usually called a 671 unless it was in a truck that is when I have heard it called the 238 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, bitty said:

238 hp, 671 straight 6 cylinder. Was usually called a 671 unless it was in a truck that is when I have heard it called the 238 

And a I think some were called 318 to. Maybe another line ticket setting combination or maybe that was the 8V71

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

And a I think some were called 318 to. Maybe another line ticket setting combination or maybe that was the 8V71

Yes, 318 is “truck-speak” for the 8V71.  Also, there was a 6V71 engine with the same horsepower rating as the inline engine.  The blower would be different.

Yup, for some reason the 6-71 got called a 238 (hp) in a truck and the 8V-71 was a 318 in a truck.  There were a few uncommon variants to those hp numbers in the case of a factory turbocharged engine.

You can still buy parts for the two stroke enines direct from a Detroit Diesel dealer, unless they have just recently stopped support, which I would very highly doubt.  I used to deal with I believe it was Clark Detroit out of St. Louis.  There was a lady in the parts department there who knew more about 2 stroke Detroit's than any of the guys who worked there.  There are lots of places that sell reman parts as well.  Depending on where you are in the world depends where you might prefer to buy parts.  Chicago, St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis are all within 1 day shipping from me, and I can drive to any of those cities and back in one day with daylight left over.  You don't want to install a used blower.  Get a reman. 

20 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

You can still buy parts for the two stroke enines direct from a Detroit Diesel dealer, unless they have just recently stopped support, which I would very highly doubt.  I used to deal with I believe it was Clark Detroit out of St. Louis.  There was a lady in the parts department there who knew more about 2 stroke Detroit's than any of the guys who worked there.  There are lots of places that sell reman parts as well.  Depending on where you are in the world depends where you might prefer to buy parts.  Chicago, St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis are all within 1 day shipping from me, and I can drive to any of those cities and back in one day with daylight left over.  You don't want to install a used blower.  Get a reman. 

We had 4 things with the 671 until we sold the Terex C6 last year. I wouldn't think of paying too much for parts as it's an easy enough motor to slide a used one in . Put a used 671 in the Gardner Denver we bought with a bad engine and been running it for years without any further issues

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

We had 4 things with the 671 until we sold the Terex C6 last year. I wouldn't think of paying too much for parts as it's an easy enough motor to slide a used one in . Put a used 671 in the Gardner Denver we bought with a bad engine and been running it for years without any further issues

Ok.  I used to work on Detroit 2 strokes.  Not a small number of them and all sizes up to V12 motors and twin set ups.  I agree used engines are easy to slide in, but watch it.  You can set a Detroit up 1000 different ways.  Be sure you get all the important stuff right.  Rotational direction, bell housing, blower and exhaust location, governor, injectors, throttle style, accessory drives.... it's a long list and a lot of stuff can be swapped.  I don't remember reman blowers being all too terrible.  Likely around $750.  About the cost of an injection pump rebuild on a regular diesel. 

Just did a quick search.  Looks like $800 to $1200 depending on which blower you need.  Looks like average reman 6-71 blowers run around $800. 

4 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

The base 8V-71 in a truck was 290 and there was a turbocharged 8V-71 that was 350.

And then the 8V-71TA made more. The Hp can vary a lot depending on application. 

It amazes me how versatile those engines were.  For all their faults, they were like the Swiss Army knife of engines!  Kind of like legos.  Build them on either side, rotation, bolt them end to end!  Amazing ingenuity!  A lot of them were used in the commercial fishing fleets here, up to the 16 cylinders.  I can still remember those fish boats going out of the creek in the early hours with the dry stack Detroit's screaming!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

It amazes me how versatile those engines were.  For all their faults, they were like the Swiss Army knife of engines!  Kind of like legos.  Build them on either side, rotation, bolt them end to end!  Amazing ingenuity!  A lot of them were used in the commercial fishing fleets here, up to the 16 cylinders.  I can still remember those fish boats going out of the creek in the early hours with the dry stack Detroit's screaming!

Developed by GM for the military.  The military wanted a versatile, reliable, rugged and dependable diesel that was adaptable to a wide range of applications, and shared parts between engines of the same family so that parts were interchangeable.  The parts interchange is cool.  A head for a 3cyl fits a V6, 4cyl fits V8 6cyl fits a V12 and back and forth.  Blocks are symmetrical so the head can be bolted on either way.  They can be built to run installed normally, slanted or standing on their end. Either end.  Even though the EPA wants them obsolete, they are still the most versatile diesel engine available, and still pretty widely used.  Use is declining more in part to the fact it's hard to get support for them.  Not parts, but people who know how to work on them.  I was hired by Norfolk Southern to work on Detroit's on rail equipment for them and they paid my travel to go hours from my home base because they simply couldn't find anyone who knew how to work on them.  It's a real problem. I'm losing my memory of a lot of the ins and outs of them though. Been a long time since I worked on them regularly.  Nearly 20 years. 

• Like 1