560D turbo upgrade

Old-F20

Ive seen numerous times and places where its been discussed about the Garrett T606 turbo for the 282 diesels. Hard parts are unobtanium and last i knew only seals and bearings were available. My 560 ate its turbo about 4 years ago and got towed to the shed to sit til i decided what i wanted to do with it. I had read that an Allis Chalmers turbo would work so I got busy researching. Basically what i came up with was the turbo for the D19, 190XT and some 7000 series was what i needed. Took the gamble and ordered on. It bolted right up to the manifold flange and then after that everything was different.......lol

New turbo is longer overall so the intake boot has to be positioned under the front of the fuel tank bracket requiring a 45 degree elbow to slightly reroute the intake piping along with cutting off some of the heat shield

New oil supply line needed to be ran

Old clamp on exhaust elbow wont work ad have to buy the Allis turbo elbow. There are 2 styles so i flipped a coin. think i may have got the wrong one but oh well. Had to machine an adapter to keep my 4 inch pipe on the 3 inch elbow. The new elbow kick the pipe out to the side and forward just a bit as seen by the new trimming in the hood.

So after about 500 bux and a bit of fab work the ole 560 lives again. Seems like its gonna work good but we shall see this saturday at a local plow day

20201013_165550.jpg

20201013_165559.jpg

• Like 1

We put the same turbo on a late 1650 Oliver, same size engine. But we went with a bigger compressor side. It really woke it up. The elbow we used is a lot closer to the turbo housing. If you wanted it in the stock opening, 3 90 degree heavy stainless elbows will put the exhaust about anywhere you want it. I don't know if I have all the pieces any more. My older brother grenaded the engine goofing off with it one day while I was at work. I do know I have seen the turbo on a shelf. 

Same one I stuck on my 756. If you look close I had to modify my m&w boot on breather housing and shorten the aluminum piece in the middle. Also my silicone boot was flexible so it took up the rest of the slack to help. Since it was longer it changed the whole geometry but this worked nice for me 

20181006_155637_IMG_2073.JPG

20181006_155652_IMG_3486.JPEG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Old-F20 said:

Ive seen numerous times and places where its been discussed about the Garrett T606 turbo for the 282 diesels. Hard parts are unobtanium and last i knew only seals and bearings were available. My 560 ate its turbo about 4 years ago and got towed to the shed to sit til i decided what i wanted to do with it. I had read that an Allis Chalmers turbo would work so I got busy researching. Basically what i came up with was the turbo for the D19, 190XT and some 7000 series was what i needed. Took the gamble and ordered on. It bolted right up to the manifold flange and then after that everything was different.......lol

New turbo is longer overall so the intake boot has to be positioned under the front of the fuel tank bracket requiring a 45 degree elbow to slightly reroute the intake piping along with cutting off some of the heat shield

New oil supply line needed to be ran

Old clamp on exhaust elbow wont work ad have to buy the Allis turbo elbow. There are 2 styles so i flipped a coin. think i may have got the wrong one but oh well. Had to machine an adapter to keep my 4 inch pipe on the 3 inch elbow. The new elbow kick the pipe out to the side and forward just a bit as seen by the new trimming in the hood.

So after about 500 bux and a bit of fab work the ole 560 lives again. Seems like its gonna work good but we shall see this saturday at a local plow day

20201013_165550.jpg

20201013_165559.jpg

Tell us more about the plow day. Maxwell isn't far from me and I'd like to join if possible. Is it the one where they also pick ear corn?

21 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

now dont be blowing head gaskets and tearing out the rearend this weekend!!! easy does it

This thing has had a turbo on it its whole life. I cant hurt it any worse than the idaho cowboys who used to own it........lol

6 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Tell us more about the plow day. Maxwell isn't far from me and I'd like to join if possible. Is it the one where they also pick ear corn?

Its actually just a tick NE of Collins. about a mile east and 1.5 north of town

23 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Same one I stuck on my 756. If you look close I had to modify my m&w boot on breather housing and shorten the aluminum piece in the middle. Also my silicone boot was flexible so it took up the rest of the slack to help. Since it was longer it changed the whole geometry but this worked nice for me 

20181006_155637_IMG_2073.JPG

20181006_155652_IMG_3486.JPEG

Beautiful Job,     Clean and functionable,      Economical,     Fuel efficient,     Powerful 310!!    

Thanks for the picture.

Jim Droscha

25 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Beautiful Job,     Clean and functionable,      Economical,     Fuel efficient,     Powerful 310!!    

Thanks for the picture.

Jim Droscha

Thanks. It took a fair amount of fit up and research, just to make it the best I could. 

15 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Thanks, I did a little research this afternoon. Talked to the gentleman hosting. Will see you Saturday! I'll be on a WD45. 

They have several tractors under pickers that will not start. Have not been run since last year.   A co worker told me that this morning.   Tomorrow will be busy, he says.  Bringing his Ford 6000 diesel and mounted picker.  Have fun, Gentlemen!

2 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

They have several tractors under pickers that will not start. Have not been run since last year.   A co worker told me that this morning.   Tomorrow will be busy, he says.  Bringing his Ford 6000 diesel and mounted picker.  Have fun, Gentlemen!

How's harvest coming Aaron? Talked to a buddy today, he's not having fun with corn!