Magnum 315 fan clutch

First time posting but been reading forum for over 2 years. I know everyone knows alot about the older but what about the new? We have a 315 that this spring during planting we had to replace the fan clutch. Had 20 acres of corn left so we didn't notice anything. Now we are using it this fall and the fan sounds like a airplane all the time it nevers slows down. We have called several dealers in the area and nobody seems to have a clue whether they need to come out and tell computer we need a put in a new clutch or if the new clutch is just bad. We called a friend who has a 340 and when the engine is not running his fan clutch will spin by hand. Ours will not, it is locked solid. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

All old machines had solid driven fans.  Are you concerned about fuel economy or something?  Let it roar, it isn't hurting anything.  Won't overheat that way. 

If it won't release, it is bad or the spring broke up front.  They aren't electro viscous clutches, no computer controls.  Old technology on a newer machine.  Just like a pickup from the 70's. 

• Like 1

I am currently running a Magnum 315 CVT on a grain cart. I just looked and it is definitely an electronically controlled fan. It doesn’t roar at all. There is a hub on the front of the fan with a wire harness. At one time Case came with different software to address the noise issue. Your dealer should be aware of it. 

They must have made a change at some point.  We just discussed fan clutches on these the other day and the tractors had a viscous, not electro viscous clutch.  I am not up on the new Magnums.  Guess I will have to ask more questions before posting.  Either way, it doesn't hurt anything for that fan to run all the time unless the belt won't hold.  If it won't, it is a very poor design. 

Tier IVa large-chassis Magnums use a vistronic-fan...a viscous-drive fan that is electronically-controlled by the tractor's computer(not the engine computer). Striker782 is right, there were a handful of software updates to try to reduce customer complaints of a noisy fan due to unnecessary fan lockup under less than heavy loads. It fixed some...but I've still got several Tier IVa Magnums that guys complain loudly about the fan noise...even after the software updates. Just seems to be a nature of the beast with some tractors...and some owners.

As far as the fan itself, I've got a brand-new 340 AFS Connect Magnum in the shop with this fan. I would say you can turn it by hand with quite a bit of effort...its not solid...but it sure doesn't turn freely, either.