HD seal rings for 5488 pto clutch drum

Joninva

Had anyone used the hd cast seal rings on the pto drum instead of the teflon? Are the cast ones better? Any drawbacks to the cast ones? Ag parts pn 365229 is cast, 381485 is teflon, for the 50 series pto. I'm in the process of putting a dual speed pto conversion on the 5488.

I have used the cast sealing rings but didn't think they held pressure as well as teflon. I always air test pto units using shop air, teflon rings definitely seal better. My .02 cents

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If teflon was the answer the after market would be using them in TA's.

I think you can afford to replace the center pto housing on a rebuild if you can get two or three times the life out of the clutch pacs when

you use the dual sided discs and steel rings.  Just my opinion. But the center hsg rebushed is not that much money.

Does anyone put teflon in the Magnums  they rebuild?

ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

If teflon was the answer the after market would be using them in TA's.

I think you can afford to replace the center pto housing on a rebuild if you can get two or three times the life out of the clutch pacs when

you use the dual sided discs and steel rings.  Just my opinion. But the center hsg rebushed is not that much money.

Does anyone put teflon in the Magnums  they rebuild?

ed

I use teflons across the board without failure. 

I handed out 100's of the steel rings to our shop and the 1/2 dozen independent repair shops in the area that bought parts from me. I don't think I could have given them the teflons once they started used the steel. Never heard of a problem.  Oliver/White O/U 3 speeds used steel. I did a lot of those and never had "groove" problems from steel rings. 

Cast is sure a lot easier to install and a lot harder to damage while installing.  i do think the cast works out much better in cold temperature conditions.  Teflon shrinks and the oil gets by the rings instead of to the discs. We seem to have the most abusing users here in our area and clutch pacs get smoked on a regular basis. Cast rings get us more life and if used with the plates with fiber on one side and steel surface on the other will get about three times the life of a 9 x 7  pac with teflon rings, if all other conditions kept the same.  Is the only place in America that has enough market to warrant custom building wider driven gears on the bottomshaft and upgrades to 18 spline 1566 ipto shafts on top shaft.

just my 2 cents

ed

Those stupid teflon ones I would always get an extra set in case I cut one or two.  Now every unit gets the HD clutch kit Ed sells with the extra frictions, and steel rings.....no complaints.

I have customers that are extremely hard on pto units. I found that the cast rings and clutches like ED referred to work very well. After you get the back beefed up, it will tear the hub out of the pressure plate. Seems to me that they found the limit on that setup.