Rare or no? 766 BS with MFWD

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

We have a 7 and had a 10.  That alone might suggest something.  From  a sheer power standpoint the 10 had it.  But for a tractor doing livestock related work, not at full power very much, the 7 was a much better choice.  Used significantly less fuel and the longer stroke non turbo 360 had quite a bit more grunt off idle than the 10.  

Hear the same thing all the time here................I disagree with it myself.   

• Like 1
12 hours ago, brewcrew said:

From a distance they would be tough to tell apart. Those of us in the know can pick out subtle differences, at least with a 7 and 14. A 9 and 10 side by side with the same tires is gonna be tough without decals unless you can see the turbo!

The only visible differences that I recall between a 766 and a 9, 10, or 14 are the fan shroud (the 7's shroud is longer since the 360 block is shorter), and the primary fuel filter is shorter, since the filter base is a tad further back.  And the exhaust manifold on the 7 and 9, of course.

48 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

The only visible differences that I recall between a 766 and a 9, 10, or 14 are the fan shroud (the 7's shroud is longer since the 360 block is shorter), and the primary fuel filter is shorter, since the filter base is a tad further back.  And the exhaust manifold on the 7 and 9, of course.

A 7 is relatively easy to pick out because the engine is shorter. A 14 has bigger axles, which depending on how good a look you get can be a give away. If you can spot the turbo you can tell between a 9 and ten, but I don’t own a 66 series so I’m not sure how easy that is.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

34” rears on 7&9, 38” rears on 10&14. 

Some of the 766's here were on 38's.............Not sure the deal behind that as most of them all came from the same dealer.  But it seems all those have been swapped to 18.4-34's now.  Another interesting thing, it seems most who bought 766's here didn't buy one, they bought a pair. Know quite a few guys who had "Twins"..............One had a pair of black stripe 766's.

2 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Only know of one 766 in these parts, guy only had it around 4 yrs. Seems like it was a gas, were there gas ones ?

Yes, like my uncles. Was a pig, couldn’t get out of its own way and used a ton of gas trying to do it....

20 hours ago, Gearclash said:

We have a 7 and had a 10.  That alone might suggest something.  From  a sheer power standpoint the 10 had it.  But for a tractor doing livestock related work, not at full power very much, the 7 was a much better choice.  Used significantly less fuel and the longer stroke non turbo 360 had quite a bit more grunt off idle than the 10.  

Put 34" rubber on the 10 and then see if the "grunt" is so much better on the 7

It seems sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many missed my point.   a 66 series tractor from centerline of rear axle to centerline of front spindle are the same.  hoods are the same length   I AM NOT talking about a fan shroud or any other fool thing you wanna convince yourself about. So sheetmetal interchanges 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

Put 34" rubber on the 10 and then see if the "grunt" is so much better on the 7

We switched our 7 from 34 to 38.  Never really noticed a difference except it went a bit faster down the road.

We have six tens and 14’s.  I thought I wanted a 766, or even a 966, then my IH neighbor pointed out that I’d never driven a 6cyl tractor without a turbo.  Pretty sure he was implying that a 766/966 might feel a bit low on grunt. Not Up on grunt.  I found an 856 instead.

(With a M+W on it)

3 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

I AM NOT talking about a fan shroud...

I mentioned the shroud because it can be seen from further away than the other clues.

It's always been the easiest way for me to tell a 7 from any other 66 series, from a distance.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I mentioned the shroud because it can be seen from further away than the other clues.

It's always been the easiest way for me to tell a 7 from any other 66 series, from a distance.

again that wasnt my point.........................................