This is a generator/welder set picked up at an neighbors auction 30 years ago.  I’d never seen or heard of an IH slant 4 engine and all these years I’ve wondered what the history is on them?  What were they used in and what years were they made?

40DB147B-1B1F-4537-BCE9-DC016F3F3C43.jpeg

68B7C2D7-4268-43A0-989F-C93995062416.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

This is a generator/welder set picked up at an neighbors auction 30 years ago.  I’d never seen or heard of an IH slant 4 engine and all these years I’ve wondered what the history is on them?  What were they used in and what years were they made?

40DB147B-1B1F-4537-BCE9-DC016F3F3C43.jpeg

68B7C2D7-4268-43A0-989F-C93995062416.jpeg

Scouts, 1/2 of a v8 saved on tooling and design.

• Like 2

Put several abused miles on a scout in the middle to later sixties.  That engine was the toughest thing on it.

57 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Scouts, 1/2 of a v8 saved on tooling and design.

Thats kind what I thought it could be half of a V8.  If I had nothing but time and lots of engineering/fabrications I would make a mini slant engine swather.  

I have 4. My DD forever was a 78 scout with a 196. Shes currently being rebuilt. Also have a 64 with a 152. Solid engine. But im dropping a turbo 196 in it. GM 1bbl tbi. Moshimoto MLine intercooler. Its been a long project. 

• Like 3

IH made a small Van in the 60s that was used for deliveries with the I4 engine.  I drove one for about 5 years delivering French bread to stores in LA on my route.  The company put 2 shelves in them to carry the bread.  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, bigequip said:

IH made a small Van in the 60s that was used for deliveries with the I4 engine.  I drove one for about 5 years delivering French bread to stores in LA on my route.  The company put 2 shelves in them to carry the bread.  

Ih Metro. I keep trying to buy one and make it a camper.

They also made a MetroMite that was smaller than a metro. Real boxy thing. BIL used one for his glass business.

• Like 2

I still own a '67 Scout with the I-196 Engine.  It would deliver 20 MPG at 65  MPH in 2 WD or 20 MPG at 40 MPH in 4WD.  I may try to get it running again one of these days.  Just another project waiting its turn. 

• Like 2

I have one in a QE125 Leroi air compressor. Little over a 1000 hours on the unit. Use's  way to much fuel, need to go through the carb someday a figure out what is going on with it. Someday just never seems to get here. Use it during harvest to blow of the combine so not a real high priority piece of equipment.

2 hours ago, IHRunner said:

Ih Metro. I keep trying to buy one and make it a camper.

Imagine the harem you could fit in one! If this van is rocking ....

• Haha 1

That was the standard engine in the original 59 Scout and the short Step Van .  It was reintroduced in 75 ish in the Scout. I believe I test drove a demonstrator 196 in 75. 

I found a 196, still in good shape, recently running an air compressor from the early 70's.

In the early 80's I found a 64 Scout powered by a 152, for $500. it was geared fine for off roading but it's hyway speed was a little slow.

My Wife wouldn't agree to another toy!

22 minutes ago, oleman said:

In the early 80's I found a 64 Scout powered by a 152, for $500. it was geared fine for off roading but it's hyway speed was a little slow.

My Tractor Show buddy had a Scout for "Safaris" in their really rolling hills. I'm sure it was the 152-4, 3 speed trans, T-case stuck in low, frt hubs permanently stuck in engaged. Even with nothing fancy for tires it would idle around up&down wet slick grass in 1st gear.  Every time I saw it more and more sheetmetal was missing.  It's probably all gone by now.

Bore and stroke of the H 4 cyl and the slant 4 were the same and I bet the torque curves were about the same considering how that rusty old Scout chugged around.  The dyno sheets I saw on the H showed a torque peak at 770 rpm IIRC.

There was a 196 power unit also. It was made up by Whites Inc out of Texas. We probably sold 50 of them for shallow irrigation wells. The engine was bulletproof. The radiator was the weak link. The motor was mounted solid to the frame so vibration was transferred to the radiator. 

IH also offered the 152-4 in a turbocharged version in 1964 when they built the 100,000th Scout.  The 152 made 93 HP and the turbo'd made 115 HP at 4,000 RPM.  Don't think the 196-4 was ever offered in a turbo version.  The turbo'd 152 was produced until 1966, the same year the 196 was introduced.

I had a ;61 Scout. Replaced the engine with a 304. Bolted to the 4 banger bell housing after I drilled new holes for the transmission, the banger is tipped up a bit straighter than a V8 bank. The bolt bosses are in the bell, just not drilled!  My local machinist drilled the 304 flywheel to fit the 4 cylinder's clutch. Did a good job, no vibration at all. I flipped the axles to lift the truck and mounted the engine lower in the frame to straighten the drive line and lower the CG a bit. Travel all PS and PB completed the job!

11 hours ago, Fred B said:

seems like Pontiac also had a  1/2 V8 back in tempest days.  complete with curved drive shaft

Also remember it had a covair like transaxle in the rear with a flex drive shaft (speedometer cable) from the engine to the rear. They redesigned the tempest into a normal car in 64 if my memory serves me correctly.

My Navy buddy had a 65 tempest, is the same as a chevelle but powered by a Pontiac 326 CI V/8, carter AFB, rated at 285 HP and a T10 tranny.  I drove it many times, nice machine!

Believe they replaced the layover /4 with an overhead cam I6 later on.

2 hours ago, R Pope said:

I had a ;61 Scout. Replaced the engine with a 304. Bolted to the 4 banger bell housing after I drilled new holes for the transmission, the banger is tipped up a bit straighter than a V8 bank. The bolt bosses are in the bell, just not drilled!  My local machinist drilled the 304 flywheel to fit the 4 cylinder's clutch. Did a good job, no vibration at all. I flipped the axles to lift the truck and mounted the engine lower in the frame to straighten the drive line and lower the CG a bit. Travel all PS and PB completed the job!

The 69 Travelal I kept for many years I converted from from 2 WD to 4 WD after 6 years of ownership.  The total conversion was all stock parts sourced from various junk-yards.  I added Power steering to go with the 4wd. It was the only Travelal I ever saw with a Dana 44 both front and rear.  Never had a mechanical problem with the conversion stuff.  Chassis had some differences but only an expert looking for them would find them!