Ac compressor pulley size, ih 414, 436, 466. tractors, combines, etc

What is the proper size (diameter) of the pulley for York ac compressors on 86 series tractors, 14 series combines, etc?

I have more than one size pulleys on my various equipment and expect they should be the same size. 

Thx-Ace 

The ac started acting up on my 1460 yesterday. It was in the 80s and I kept the doors shut. Otherwise the cab would fill with skeeters. Thx-Ace 

17 minutes ago, acem said:

The ac started acting up on my 1460 yesterday. It was in the 80s and I kept the doors shut. Otherwise the cab would fill with skeeters. Thx-Ace 

What is it doing? Is the clutch acting up?

The clutch is slipping at idle but seems to be working at full speed. I expect i will have to replace it but I'm not stopping harvest. I'll sweat until I get rained out if need be.

This York compressor and clutch are over 20 years old. I guess its time.

Thx-Ace 

What is the electrical voltage at the clutch and what are the system pressures? Both can cause the clutch to slip if not correct. I am guessing the belt tension is correct? I had to replace the belt on the 3388 this fall. The correct belt was to long. That is when I discovered that some where in the past the pulley had been replace and the replacement was I believe a 6 inch pulley. So for now I have a belt on there that works. Probably should switch out the pulley on of these times. 

The pressures are low actually. I was adding freon when the clutch started slipping, pulley was turning but not the compressor. Idk the voltage, i check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thx-Ace 

Sure it was not just cycling off and on? Guess you would have to have a test light or voltmeter connected to see if there was power to the clutch at the moment and then see if compressor was turning or not. Getting any indications of smoke or heat coming off the clutch to also indicate it was slipping. Does seem a little strange.

• Like 1

I would be checking to make sure the compressor is not locking up. Unless the voltage is really low or there is excessive clearance between the clutch plates there is not much reason for that clutch to slip. The bearing will go out on the clutch but then the clutch will not release as the locked bearing will continue to drive things.

How old is the compressor? What is the oil level in it? And when you were adding freon you did not by chance add as a liquid on the low side and lock the compressor. Would not be the first time that has happened.

The compressor and clutch were 'new' when I bought it over 20 years ago. Too bad those York compressors won't last...

The compressor isn't locked up. I can turnit by hand and if I turn it on at operating speed it runs fine. At idle the pulley turns, the compressor doesn't turn and there is smoke. Either the clutch is failing or the voltage is weak.

I've been busy with harvest and its kinda working for now...

Thx-Ace 

Sounds like a voltage issue than, high speed probably gets the alternator to put out just a bit more. Only 20 years? Think I would have a talk with IH. The one on the 3388 I believe could be original to the tractor. At least the tag on it has the IH markings. The clutch has been changed as it is I believe a 6.5 inch. That is how I found out that 7 was the original size. Different subject but had the ignition coil fail on the 1600 truck this year during harvest. 1974 model and was the original coil. Only made it 60k miles. They just do not make things to last!

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, acem said:

The compressor and clutch were 'new' when I bought it over 20 years ago. Too bad those York compressors won't last...

The compressor isn't locked up. I can turnit by hand and if I turn it on at operating speed it runs fine. At idle the pulley turns, the compressor doesn't turn and there is smoke. Either the clutch is failing or the voltage is weak.

I've been busy with harvest and its kinda working for now...

Thx-Ace 

If you need any a/c parts AP air is the way to go you have to buy from a dealer and i get all my stuff from Mike Links