Some vintage IH equipment . . .

on standby for field fire control. A 766 diesel and a 475 disk. The 766 has a long and somewhat interesting history with us. My dad bought it at a neighbor's bankruptcy auction in the 80’s. I believe that neighbor bought it new.  That neighbor lived in the same section my dad did, so the tractor stayed in the same section, possibly for its whole life to date. What’s more, my dad later bought that neighbor’s farm, so the 766 ended up operating on the same farm it had been. For the better part of 10 years the 766 was the big tractor on the farm, doing primary tillage and powering the silage chopper. A 1066 took that spot in the early 90s, and the 475 disk was acquired to go with the 1066. The 766 was matched with a 470.  Then the 766 spent a lot of years on a TMR mixer. Now it is the rake tractor with around 14,000 hrs on it. 

3E73CEC7-9A64-43F5-8461-C98E877133B6.jpeg

• Like 15

Nice IH combo, I’m looking for a IH tractor about the size of a 766 wish I could afford one or if one was close to me.

But the hunt is fun. 

Some locals I grew up with had a D282 powered 706, traded for a new D310 powered 706.  Traded that for a new D310 powered 756, then traded for a new D360 powered 766.  Next they went to a 986 and then a 1086 but I always thought it was neat they owned almost one of each of the 7xx series, all they lacked was the 786.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Nice IH combo, I’m looking for a IH tractor about the size of a 766 wish I could afford one or if one was close to me.

But the hunt is fun. 

Heck, the hunt is half the fun!   I love tractor shopping.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billonthefarm said:

Heck, the hunt is half the fun!   I love tractor shopping.

Yea and you learn a lot on the way, cause you ask questions from guys like here on the forum and it helps you in the search 

Dang that looks like too much disc for a 766. Especially without duals. Maybe if you’re just going to tickle the surface, but drop that disc to the disc blade spacer spools and you are going to spin out and dig ruts with the rear tires. The ground in the foreground of the picture- has it been disced over by that rig? 

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Dang that looks like too much disc for a 766. Especially without duals. Maybe if you’re just going to tickle the surface, but drop that disc to the disc blade spacer spools and you are going to spin out and dig ruts with the rear tires. The ground in the foreground of the picture- has it been disced over by that rig? 

No, nothing was disked--yes this is way too much disk for that tractor for normal tillage--the idea was simply to have something to stir dirt in the event of a field fire.  My plan was to grab Hi 1 at full power and set the disk down just enough to pull the engine down good.  Wasn’t gonna flop the wings down either.