Alternator for a Famall H

I have a 44 H that  I am getting ready to put in the shop to go through. I thought that some time back that I saw a conversion kit from a generator to an alternator and that it was small enough to fit under the hood without having to cut a hole or leaving the hood open on that side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Confused 1

A 10si is tight but will fit with the exact sized belt and there is  not a lot of adjustment. theres so many tiny ones out there I would mod the bracket and go with them

Steiner sells a nice setup that gives you adjustment up as well as out but they are a little expensive.    

https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS1246BK-Alternator-Brackets-Only-for-IHS1246-Kit-GasLP-H-Super-H-300-350

I seen them on hs and they hack saw a chunk out of the hood .

I used a Hitachi 14231 alternator on my wife's H when I restored it because the generator was totally shot. They are small enough to fit under the hood and I didn't need to buy a mounting kit. It will fit on the stock mount using a piece of all thread to adjust it forward and backward to line up the belt then I just used a little turn buckle from where the original adjustment tab for the generator mounts for adjusting belt tension.

if your 6 volt system is complete, keep it. 6 volts on and H is a strong setup. ?️ ?

Remember and this is for every one, The less you do the more you preserve.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yes, the Delco 10SI fits, it's snug, but fits.  Unless you use a plasma cutter or gas ax to butcher your hood it takes longer to cut the hood up than to make the alternator fit.  If your generator or your voltage regulator aren't working right a new 10SI costs less that fixing your old 6V stuff.  Your 6V starter is fine as is. A new Group 31 or 65 12V battery costs less than a 6V.

With 12V you can use sprayer controllers, monitors, flashing strobe lights for safe road use.  Read a post on another forum yesterday a guy got stopped by a county Deputy on his zero turn mowing his road bank that he needed an SMV emblem AND a flashing amber strobe light.  I've had my zero turn 5 years and never thought to put an SMV or light on it.

Just so much easier to update to 12V when installing an alternator.  How many of you guys would accept a new car or pickup with 6V electrical system?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Charlie's repair makes a bracket I think

• Like 1

X2 on Charlies repair. The Denso alternator kit is a perfect fit and the hood fits exactly as it did with the generator. Always felt as others said why bother, keep it 6 volt. Then the generator died and Charlies kit was no more than a rebuild.  I must say once you go 12 volt  you won't go back!

FBF103CB-C5E2-4DDB-8892-3F42A0CC1C49.thumb.jpeg.45dd578a3d274d8ccb183ead75d442b9.jpegD016FDFC-67EE-4D27-B263-D9909B714D11.thumb.jpeg.4bd45f2cd62393701e9fc7e5b203b080.jpeg

• Like 1

If you look at an 80's Dodge Diplomat car with a 318/360 it probably has a tiny DENSO alternator uses a dual pulley and a standard Chrysler voltage regulator.  I used one for a while on a Detroit Diesel 3-71 but went to a higher capacity alternator.  Denso makes a great little alternator!! Could be the cheapest solution you could find.

No need to cut the hood I used to make brackets that were slotted  for the bolts that mount it to the head. the bracket was wider top to bottom to allow for the slots and it had a cutout on the bottom side to clear the spark plug area I used the original belt and made a short piece of flat stock with a hole in each end to allow the original top bracket to connect  to the alternator. 

I have a 12 volt alternator kit on my H. No hood cutting on it. Never could tell from outside appearances that it has been converted.

Can you tell?

20200608_144754.jpg

• Like 2

51FarmallM welcome to the 12 Volt club!  In 2012 my Dad & I went to Red Power Round Up in Du Quion IL.  Meet Charlie from Charlie’s Repair of Austin MN.  Brought a 12 Volt kit for my late Grandfather’s Super W6.  It’s been on the tractor for 8 years now.  So happy with his kit,  brought 3 more.  Put one on my Dad’s Farmall H,  one on my Farmall 400 & my W450.  I took pictures of the H this afternoon of his kit with a Hitachi alternator.  Plus. Charlie has wiring diagrams on his website.  Which anyone can look at.  Used stock belt also.

D1A9492A-5C58-47DB-A371-8B9D6FD7D9F3.jpeg

08A1EC09-A7E2-4A1E-8BE5-2583B5058CEA.jpeg

C471E372-EEDF-4436-8ACB-64777E878CEB.jpeg

2D7467B7-7069-473E-9C51-75B0C6AAB592.jpeg

12 hours ago, redturbo said:

51FarmallM welcome to the 12 Volt club!  In 2012 my Dad & I went to Red Power Round Up in Du Quion IL.  Meet Charlie from Charlie’s Repair of Austin MN.  Brought a 12 Volt kit for my late Grandfather’s Super W6.  It’s been on the tractor for 8 years now.  So happy with his kit,  brought 3 more.  Put one on my Dad’s Farmall H,  one on my Farmall 400 & my W450.  I took pictures of the H this afternoon of his kit with a Hitachi alternator.  Plus. Charlie has wiring diagrams on his website.  Which anyone can look at.  Used stock belt also.

D1A9492A-5C58-47DB-A371-8B9D6FD7D9F3.jpeg

08A1EC09-A7E2-4A1E-8BE5-2583B5058CEA.jpeg

C471E372-EEDF-4436-8ACB-64777E878CEB.jpeg

2D7467B7-7069-473E-9C51-75B0C6AAB592.jpeg

WOW!  You wire like I do!  Army/Navy clamps, nylon tie straps, and convoluted conduit over everything and soldered ring terminals on every connection.

Yep, so easy to upgrade to 12V alternator anymore.  Was about 30 years ago Dad converted the '51 M. It NEVER started good regardless what the experts say.  But it spins over great now.  But the Super H was the one that impressed me!  The original starter had too many years of slow grinding over a cylinder at a time. I pulled the original starter off and exchanged it at a tractor salvage yard in western Iowa. The factory starter failed every test!  The supposedly rebuilt starter was better but not by much. But when Dad put the 12V to it, it spun over like crazy. Couple years ago it was struggling again. FONDY AUTO ELECTRIC that advertises in RPM really fixed it up!  They used to have a shop here in Madison but too many guys buying cheap rebuilds at parts stores that only last maybe a year.  I've had them do three alternators, one's lasted 15 years and still going, other one lasted 4-5 when I traded the car. Starter still spins engine about 800-1000 rpm. The engine has a tach.

Used to be every medium sized or larger town had an auto electric shop, and a really GOOD big shop every 50-60 miles.  Now if you have a GOOD shop within 100 miles your lucky.

• Thanks 1