the thread on the farm kitty got me thinking about hearing protection, I use it often, not as often as I should. Dad is an Earplug Nazzi, we get them by the case, Howard Leight Laser Light, I found the green ones the most comfortable with these being a close second, the max light orange ones are awful, sort of like expanding @Finney porta-power in your ear. I like earmuffs when its not 100 degrees out and I had a pair of walkers bluetooth shooting headphones which have adjustable volume levels so you can hear conversation, ostensibly at the range, but they shut off with loud noise like many hearing aids, they were uncomfortable and that feature was annoying, so mostly I had big fancy earmuffs that were uncomfortable. I smashed them the other day getting in the dump truck, which is loud enough when driving very far I wear either them or earplugs, so it was a good excuse to upgrade. I bought a pair of 3M work tunes, am/fm/mp3/bluetooth/hands free earmuffs, which are very comfortable...as earmuffs go. 

anyway, my FIL is always on me about wearing safety glasses and hearing protection, even though I always do anyway, I tell him every time that safety glasses or earmuffs are for pussies, which sets him off every time...its so easy😆

these are the earplugs I use, if you are still using those horrible orange ones, I highly recommend these. https://www.uline.com/BL_1071/Laser-Lite-Earplugs

and these are my new earmuffs, also a good buy, not supposed to use earmuffs on the road, but its also my handsfree device, so I plan to make that argument if the need ever arrises.  https://www.menards.com/main/tools/workwear-safety-gear/earplugs-earmuffs/3m-trade-worktunes-trade-connect-am-fm-earmuffs-with-bluetooth-reg/90542h1-dc-ps/p-1567060205332.htm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If a person doesn't like the feel of ear plugs, I know you will not like the feel of hearing aids when you can no longer hear "normal" conversations.

Hearing protection is something I have not taken lightly for many years. I just wish more younger ones would do it. I got hearing aids several years ago when my grandson came up behind me and tried to tell me something. When I didn't respond, he told grandma I was ignoring him and hurt his feelings.  I just has ear surgery a few weeks ago because of on issue I have been ignoring too long. Hearing in my right ear was nonexistent. Doctor said I should be able to hear about the same in each ear after it heals up. 

I wore out 2 3M Work Tunes (ear pieces completely fell apart). I just picked up another Monday. I even use them mowing grass. 

• Like 3

Huh, what cha say? I can't understand ya?

I don't need ear plugs. Tractors, race cars, shooting, and rock concerts don't hurt your hearing. Its just a conspiracy.

All those plugs are for kinky boys.

• Haha 5

Once you're wearing hearing aids you can't wear plugs anymore, unless you take the aids out, so you're stuck with muffs.

In my job we have light weight noise cancelling headsets because the jets are quite quiet, more so in the cabin where it wayy quieter than a commercial airliner. You can have a normal quiet conversation. The problem I have is that the headset and hearing aids are not compatible. I take the outside aid off depending on which seat I'm occupying and leave the inside in so that I can hear whoever comes into the cockpit.

In my Cessna I use full muff noise cancelling sets without aids, as they'll just feed back.

Moral of the story: WEAR hearing protection! Youth doesn't protect you, just gives you an invincible sense.😁

• Like 2
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

the thread on the farm kitty got me thinking about hearing protection, I use it often, not as often as I should. Dad is an Earplug Nazzi, we get them by the case, Howard Leight Laser Light, I found the green ones the most comfortable with these being a close second, the max light orange ones are awful, sort of like expanding @Finney porta-power in your ear. I like earmuffs when its not 100 degrees out and I had a pair of walkers bluetooth shooting headphones which have adjustable volume levels so you can hear conversation, ostensibly at the range, but they shut off with loud noise like many hearing aids, they were uncomfortable and that feature was annoying, so mostly I had big fancy earmuffs that were uncomfortable. I smashed them the other day getting in the dump truck, which is loud enough when driving very far I wear either them or earplugs, so it was a good excuse to upgrade. I bought a pair of 3M work tunes, am/fm/mp3/bluetooth/hands free earmuffs, which are very comfortable...as earmuffs go. 

anyway, my FIL is always on me about wearing safety glasses and hearing protection, even though I always do anyway, I tell him every time that safety glasses or earmuffs are for pussies, which sets him off every time...its so easy😆

these are the earplugs I use, if you are still using those horrible orange ones, I highly recommend these. https://www.uline.com/BL_1071/Laser-Lite-Earplugs

and these are my new earmuffs, also a good buy, not supposed to use earmuffs on the road, but its also my handsfree device, so I plan to make that argument if the need ever arrises.  https://www.menards.com/main/tools/workwear-safety-gear/earplugs-earmuffs/3m-trade-worktunes-trade-connect-am-fm-earmuffs-with-bluetooth-reg/90542h1-dc-ps/p-1567060205332.htm

I have the 3M work tunes as well. They are my go to in almost every situation. The only time I really can't wear them is when I'm using the grinder because my safety glasses don't fit under the ear muffs. I've got the kids trained to wear their ear muffs whenever around loud noises like tractors, lawn mowers, shooting, etc. I know I've trained them well because one boy loves to mow the lawn and yesterday we were at Grandma's house and she asked him to mow the lawn for her and he said he couldn't because she didn't have ear muffs that fit him.

• Like 1

i wear them when shooting, when running the 706 with the diamond cab, running the riding mower, probably should when running chainsaw too, my hearing is not good, its getting worse and worse by the year, i will end up with hearing aids by 60 as my wife keeps telling me. I have damage from ear infections and scar tissue - I have been diagnosed with tone deafness ( certain frequencies I cant hear ) varies in each ear as one will try to compensate for the other. Interesting how our bodies naturally do that. 

I use the foam plugs or rubber plugs - even tho they make my ears itchy i do it anyway

The laser lite is what we have here at work, agree not bad at all. I have a couple pairs of muffs at home and never use a chainsaw or shoot without them.

Worked with several guys over the years who always answered every question with: WHAT? Say again??? Not doing it to myself.

19 minutes ago, TomH said:

Worked with several guys over the years who always answered every question with: WHAT? Say again???

If that reply was: Say Again, Over.....  That might not be a hearing issue---could be a flashback to something military...:blink:

Mike

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Edited by TomH
No idea.....

US ARMY never supplied or told us to wear ear protection.  Never had any in the shop for first 10 years or so .  I picked up a pair of muffs when duals and air wrenches came into regular use.  With your head in side of the dual rim center taking out bolts    I would grab the muffs. 

Other wise, running a tractor while checking it out or adjusting things, even on a dyno, I wanted to hear what was going on at the time and not later when pieces were flying. .  

I prefer the noise canceling type headphones.  

oddly enough they actually act like hearing aids when there is no noise to activate them .  I can hear better with these on then I can without them. 0690DAFB-F84E-4A2F-8C69-3C58E43BCED8.thumb.jpeg.1252952378722983ce884df107776a6c.jpeg

37E74E54-136C-4E60-9CA0-36EDC7FCE5AE.thumb.jpeg.91f0e80aceb5b543fc88cd89b7272d4c.jpeg

• Like 3

I've used the orange foam ear plugs for years on any loud machinery. Even on the quiet stuff like my Magnum and 1660 combine. The big heavy ear muffs type just bother me too much. Like having a vise on my head pushing the frames of my glasses into my skull. Strange though, some I've known have hearing loss but never worked around machinery. One grandfather was quite deaf but never ran a tractor more than a few hours in his life. Same with grandmother. Never around loud noises but severely deaf. It really messes up your life when you get old and miss half of the conversation going on around you. Remember that kids when you are playing your loud music in those ear buds. It might sound good but its still noise that will damage your hearing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nomorejohndeere said:

get some of the molded earplugs made

once you do you will know why

I'd like to do this, but where do you have it done, a hearing aid shop?

18 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I'd like to do this, but where do you have it done, a hearing aid shop?

Our local gun club has a place where everyone goes , they make a wax mold of your ear cavity then send you the finished product in the mail ,    $75.00. One week turn around 

• Like 1

There are do it yourself kits, but I've yet to do it.

I go to a "ear doctor" in an effort to get a good job done.

They fill your ear with a quick set foam of some sort, feels like toothpaste, then send it off.

There are different ones available, some to block more sounds or frequencies and such, some to accommodate ear phones, etc.

You can hear your machine just fine, in some cases better, because it muffles all the extra clanging and banging going on.

At first it's like a knew pair of shoes, can kinda hurt your ears as they are so full, but you get used to it.  You can feel the difference between them and put them in the correct ear, left or right, by feel with a little practice.  

If you are going to be around something really noisy you can wear headphones at the same time and block all the harshness.

Get a bright color so you can find them when you drop them.........

They stay in place and don't get pulled out like the foam ones, they don't echo like headphones are prone to

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

miss half of the conversation going on around you.

With expensive frequency compensated aids I hear ok one on one. Sadly at large gatherings with lots of background noise I start to feel left out. My FIL has some severe loss from B47s, B52s and lots of time in the body repair business. Sometimes I see him backing away from a conversation with a blank look because he's just not getting it all and figure I'm doing the same thing. I do a lot of say agains!

• Like 2

I was always afraid if I wore them I couldn't the warning sounds of something going south. No cabs, all right hand controls, so always drove looking over my right shoulder. Now years to late I just wear headphones even with a straight pipe on the dozer they work well. Just can't deal with ear plugs but I would give my left testicle to have my left ear back.

• Like 1

First time I got in the cab of the D-8N I couldn’t help but notice the warning sign that hearing protection must be worn. Unfortunately by that time it was already to late as tinnitus had started years before. I have some hearing loss but the constant ringing/singing/screeching in my ears is beyond annoying. I now wear worktunes all the time I’m around any noise makers.

• Like 2

I grab the ear plugs or muffs before most will. Simple job with an impact wrench, hammer on steel, grinder, etc.... Years on an open station then years in field artillery. My hearing is going and it has become painful to hear loud noises. I find myself saying "say again" too often now. To the youngsters out there, protect what you got.

• Like 2

I have always tried to wear “ears” when shooting and running open station equipment. I’ve got a set of Peltor brand noise cancelling muffs for shooting. For mowing and tractor work I wear 3M worktunes. When I am blacksmithing I normally wear foam plugs or work tunes. Depends on what anvil I use how much ring it makes actually. 

• Like 2

I wear ear plugs 100 percent of the time at the farm. Too much loud equipment when I was younger. I think the ac 6080 open station with the NH 489 mower was the start of hearing loss for me.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

First time I got in the cab of the D-8N I couldn’t help but notice the warning sign that hearing protection must be worn. Unfortunately by that time it was already to late as tinnitus had started years before. I have some hearing loss but the constant ringing/singing/screeching in my ears is beyond annoying. I now wear worktunes all the time I’m around any noise makers.

My mother has similar issues, dad blames her hair dryer, she has hearing aids , which she does not wear right now for fear of loosing one when wearing masks at school, apparently the aids make a little noise to give the brain something to hear, it’s supposed to stop the ringing. She keeps wearing them (or did) but it  was lots of trips to get them set up right