IH dealer of long ago.....A.A. Anderson Harvard, IL.

Bermuda_Ken

The former IH dealer in Harvard, IL. (A.A. Anderson) was considered a very progressive IH dealer in the 50-60-70-80's. They got lots of prototype tractors from Hinsdale over the years and built 2 (two) brand new (from the ground up dealerships) in a very short time (1977 and 1996) about a mile apart from each other.  Good place to do business with.

When did Anderson quit CIH?  Did all the IH/CIH stuff there get sold out?  Did the closing of Walker-Schork have anything to do with this? 

• Like 2

I’m thinking by 2008 CIH pulled their contract. We bought several things there and they were our closest dealer for service and parts. Motorola paid for the last building they built. Not sure if they are still trying to make a go of it with Kubota or not.

I thought they lost CIH around '06-'07. It is kind of disappointing but it seems CIH has given up this area.  30 years ago it was 90% red. Now its maybe 20% and those are all legacy machines it seems.  I was told CIH dropped them.

I haven't been by there in a couple years but the lot was very empty.  A few Kubotas, I think a dealer pickup truck, nothing in back.  Its a shame really, I can remember going to both stores for parts when I was younger, checking out the used lot, looking at new brochures, the new 7100 series Magnums.  Those were the days.

2 hours ago, 5088 said:

I thought they lost CIH around '06-'07. It is kind of disappointing but it seems CIH has given up this area.  30 years ago it was 90% red. Now its maybe 20% and those are all legacy machines it seems.  I was told CIH dropped them.

I haven't been by there in a couple years but the lot was very empty.  A few Kubotas, I think a dealer pickup truck, nothing in back.  Its a shame really, I can remember going to both stores for parts when I was younger, checking out the used lot, looking at new brochures, the new 7100 series Magnums.  Those were the days.

They had the best pancake days....

Ken do you know anything more about them?

Pretty sure there was very early serial # 806s and 1206s in the area that they sold. IDK if they're still around though.

Stewart Olson worked for them in the 80s as a salesman after he sold his dealership (Olson Implement) in Antioch.  Dad worked for Stewart from his HS graduation until it was sold. I can recall Stewart stopping by the farm in his Scout to see if we needed anything. I suggested a 1086 but my Uncles held off on that for a few more years, lol.  Stew passed in the early 90s.

1 hour ago, 234-IA said:

remember when Walterman Impl at Dike IA went down because all their deals on combines were just too good to be legal?  There was a rumor Andersons got caught in that mess and lost their C-IH contract

I believe that was Walker-Schork at Rochelle not Anderson’s.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Anderson’s were always straight up. What CIH did to them and their customers was unacceptable. Most guys turned green.

Yep.  Handed the whole area over.  Sure guys will run up to Johnson's in Janesville....yeah right....or just run a mile south to Harvard Implement (Buck Bros now) for their equipment needs.

And you can't fault guys for doing that, either.

13 minutes ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

Walker-Schork got caught up in the Walterman scam and had to close.  IIRC....Leon should be getting out of prison soon.

IF A A Anderson got CIH back.....would it make a change for local customers?

I highly doubt it at this point. A few guys that went to Flagship machines have got so mad they went to Lexions this year. There has been so much change in operations in Northern Illinois not many small farmers left.

Just have small acreage now  that I'm retired but the consensus of guys with farms 1500 or less was the big implement dealers just don't want to waste their time on us.  True, we weren't going to buy new paint very often but still had to buy parts which are now overpriced.  The last years my son and I farmed, we saw one cih salesman in our yard.  Haven't had a green salesman in 30 years even after I called about buying a new loader tractor.  He sent me an email quote and said to call if I had questions.  (Sigh)

11 hours ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

Walker-Schork got caught up in the Walterman scam and had to close.  IIRC....Leon should be getting out of prison soon.

Yes 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

It was announced (officially) yesterday (11-18-2020) that A. A. Anderson was bought by Johnson Tractor (the IH dealer I work for).  Plans are to keep the Harvard store open and possibly expand it in the near future.....  

Is there a possibility that A.A. Anderson still has any cool old IH info or memoribilia stashed away?

Matt....I am pretty sure the old IH stuff probably went out in 1996 when Anderson got their new (current) store built just north of town.  I bought a couple Anderson IH items online over the years. (ebay, ect)

The current store was built in 1996 when Motorola bought their old location to build a (now defunct) factory to make cell phones.  It was a multi-million $$$$ deal.  The factory lasted until 2005? and has been empty ever since.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:09 AM, Bermuda_Ken said:

Leon is out.  Last I heard he was going to be building a new house.?

On 10/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, Bermuda_Ken said:

The closest Challenger dealer I can find to Harvard is a 1 hour +++ drive to the south on 47 at Dwight.....

If you are talking about the Dwight IL "dealer" - thats one small building.  I'm guessing a place to park a service truck more than anything.  Never stopped, just drove by it a few times.

6 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Is there a possibility that A.A. Anderson still has any cool old IH info or memoribilia stashed away?

Yes they do. I live about 10 minutes away from there. They still get parts for old international tractors and still service all of them. My dads 1468 was bought new there and it might still have the dealer tag on it.