966 Hand Pump, Steering Leak

chadd

The hand pump under the dash has developed a steady leak.  I thought at first it was a leaking fitting or cracked tube, but it is coming from the seam between the rear cap/plate and the pump body.  Is this just a replace an o-ring kinda deal, or am I going to need to rip it all the way down to the point that I should look at getting a reman'd one?

You will need to remove hand motor and clean it very good. With hand motor standing on shaft end remove the (7) bolts in end cap. Carefully lift end cap straight up off hand motor taking care not to loose little thin washer. Now lift seal retainer (steel) and sealing sleeve (rubber) straight up of hand motor. Clean seal surface, now you are ready to assemble using a new (rubber) sealing sleeve. New seal sleeve should extend beyond steel retainer by approximately 1/8 inch. There are 2 sealing sleeves, one for wet bolster (narrow front) and one for standard front end which uses a cylinder. I have found several times hand motor didn't match bolster so I always measure so I get the right seal first time. When installing end cap, the commutator has a round hole and a slotted hole make sure pin engages in slotted hole. Torque bolts to 19 ft. lbs. which I think is embossed in end cap???

Seal sleeve for 1.500 steel sleeve is 86585594

Seal sleeve for 1.625 steel sleeve is 86585592