So anybody had issues with precision cartridge ammo? I was shooting a new box of them in my type 38 arisaka and it almost popped all 5 primers completely out and put a hole clean through one where the firing pin struck it. I can see daylight through it. I noticed it leaked the gasses after the 2nd firing. Good thing those arisakas are one of the strongest bolt actions made! I did email precision cartridge and waiting for a response. I also noticed early signs of casehead seperation.20201004_101501.thumb.jpg.2d2ba9498ce6fb4398d42b40e9b64ab5.jpg20201004_101549.thumb.jpg.17700cc1caf90ca47eab8313b81835b7.jpg

Im not sure if i should even reload these cases which would be a real bummer since 6.5x50 jap isnt exactly super easy to find. I need to get a caliper and check the unfired ones for OAL. I have reload data from a gentleman last name of Valmont in england who specializes in old milsurp reloads.

Something aint right for sure. This rifle is in very nice original condition. It even has a fully intact mum and all original furniture. Ive shot probably 60 rounds through it with zero issues. Like i said i need to get my hands on some calipers and check all the dimensions.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Head space Comparator is what it's called. 

I have one off those for my match rifle.

His fired cases should be snug if re-chambered, if not they may have been pushed back too far or loaded too light.

I actually dont have to work tomorrow so im going to ahlmans with the rifle and the fired and unfired ammo to see if we can figure out the issue. Precision answered my email and said it sounds like my headspacing is way off and to take it to a gunsmith to verify fitment. Problem is ive fired other rounds of various manufacture through it including precisions stuff with zero issues. I bought the ammo at ahlmans as well.

• Like 1

Ahlmans is 2 to 3 months out on even what i wanted so i may take it to a different smith. I have piccys of bullet dimesions. The reload data from my old norma manual is in the background. Top round is from steinel. Bottom round is suspect round from precision.20201006_190324.thumb.jpg.9d7eb771210d526d5de24ab8b48d22d9.jpg20201006_190226.thumb.jpg.d5637050119cd8704ab5ae09a43482fe.jpg

Yup, right on. You have to measure where the bullet ogive starts. That's the part where the bullet comes to diameter to contact the rifling, to keep it simple. What is the distance from base to the shoulder? 

Although you are trying to find the correct overall length given by the book. What that is telling you is max length for standard magazines, basically. Most bullet manufacturer are going to have around the same from tip to ogive length, although not exactly, but going to be close. Berger, however manufactures bullets that have way longer length. 

Go, No Go and field gauges from Midway USA. 

Have to check to see if the have your caliber

I have been satisfied dealing with them