Interesting green sighting at the CNH dealer

Scott!

23 minutes ago, Scott! said:

It's been a few weeks, but I finally remembered to post a picture.  I saw it lurking in the shop at Johnson Tractor in Janesville, WI.  Pretty sweet tractor!

Snapchat-867644106.jpg

Forgive my ignorance .  Is this paint scheme something they could be ordered or did someone custom paint it this way?  It’s a good looking  tractor either way.  When I was in high school a nearby farm had 5 old school steigers panthers, cougars, and bearcats so I have always kind of liked them.  

8 hours ago, nate said:

Maybe Bermuda Ken can tell us the story????    I believe he works there?

@Bermuda_Ken

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I thought it was a special edition thing for some anniversary 

Seen pics before...seems brighter than a Stieger but never seen a Stieger in person new!

I think it pretty cool...little diff

I was thinking the same thing. But I've never seen a new Steiger either. Holy crap this thing is gorgeous!!

This is a tractor owned by a local farmer/machinery trader.  I'm told his son is a bodywork guy and he custom painted it for them.  I'm sure its for sale (like all their equipment is) so, if anyone wants to contact them to buy it, let me know. 

This is NOT a Burco painted tractor.  CNH is NOT happy with the custom Steigers they have painted over the years. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, dale560 said:

I forget what are the c18s set at in the challenger. 650 hp or someplace around there. 

I don’t know either.  I just know you don’t have to keep that C18 wrapped to get the horsepower out of it.  Although this one appears to have the cummins.

Why would fiat be not happy with the custom painting? It might spark more interest and drive up sales .... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Why would fiat be not happy with the custom painting? It might spark more interest and drive up sales .... 

X2.  I view it as kind of the same as the combine with the vintage/ white roof and white wheels.  It’s not like they painted it Deere green or something.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bitty said:

It matters not if CNH is happy or not, once I own the tractor, I am free to paint the tractor in original Steiger colors if I please.  The paint scheme is certainly far more palatable than the old Case desert sand/orange.  The old Case color actually reminded me of the color of vomit.

• Like 2

I often wondered why Agco didn't offer an orange Massey to please the Allis guys when they dropped the Agco Allis tractors. it wasn't an Allis but it was orange and it seemed to keep the brand loyality

On 10/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, Bermuda_Ken said:

This is NOT a Burco painted tractor.  CNH is NOT happy with the custom Steigers they have painted over the years. 

I kinda took it as maybe the paint or workmanship isn't up to par  idk.  

Back when STX Quadtracs first came out, there was at least one in North Dakota that was painted New Holland blue. The guy was a NH guy, and wanted a Quadtrac...in blue. IIRC, he took it to a body shop that painted it NH blue, and had decals from a New Holland TJ installed on it.

A few years later, I recall another interesting story concerning Quadtracs...but I don't know how it all ended. There was a big operation in NE SD that leased a couple new STX450s. They made no secret about it.....they were going to get them painted John Deere green because everything else on the place was green. Somebody at CNH found out about it, and threatened them that they were going to be in violation of the lease agreement, and CNH would take legal action if they were painted. The last I had heard, they were going to buy them after the lease was up, and then they could paint them without any recourse from CNH. Don't know if that's what happened in the end or not....that was 15 years ago and I never heard any more about it.

There used to be a big operation in northern South Dakota that used to get 9280s painted green long after Steiger quit painting them green in 1989. The patriarch of this farming operation was a major stockholder in Steiger back in the 1970s...this operation seemed to be able to get Steigers equipped in ways that were not official factory options. They had Quadtracs a year before they were introduced...they had 9300 series tractors a year before they were officially released...they had an STX a year before they were introduced, etc.

When CaseIH came out with the first 9300 Quadtracs in 1997, you could only get them through leasing...they wouldn't sell one. That way they could keep more control over the machines already out there.

2 hours ago, SDman said:

Back when STX Quadtracs first came out, there was at least one in North Dakota that was painted New Holland blue. The guy was a NH guy, and wanted a Quadtrac...in blue. IIRC, he took it to a body shop that painted it NH blue, and had decals from a New Holland TJ installed on it.

A few years later, I recall another interesting story concerning Quadtracs...but I don't know how it all ended. There was a big operation in NE SD that leased a couple new STX450s. They made no secret about it.....they were going to get them painted John Deere green because everything else on the place was green. Somebody at CNH found out about it, and threatened them that they were going to be in violation of the lease agreement, and CNH would take legal action if they were painted. The last I had heard, they were going to buy them after the lease was up, and then they could paint them without any recourse from CNH. Don't know if that's what happened in the end or not....that was 15 years ago and I never heard any more about it.

There used to be a big operation in northern South Dakota that used to get 9280s painted green long after Steiger quit painting them green in 1989. The patriarch of this farming operation was a major stockholder in Steiger back in the 1970s...this operation seemed to be able to get Steigers equipped in ways that were not official factory options. They had Quadtracs a year before they were introduced...they had 9300 series tractors a year before they were officially released...they had an STX a year before they were introduced, etc.

When CaseIH came out with the first 9300 Quadtracs in 1997, you could only get them through leasing...they wouldn't sell one. That way they could keep more control over the machines already out there.

That is how the old owners of the local ihc dealer got combines ahead of time. The dad started custom combining with 151 ihc combines and they had every model up to the 2188. The family bought the local ihc dealer in 1979 closed it in 1986. The dad had a hand in the rotary development and legend had it made improvements to the early prototypes so they worked. They always had the factory supply of new models for testing on the harvest run. John Deere even had them test combines at times as did versatile with their re entry into combine market.