I'm not sure there were any gas dozers bigger than a T9 which is smaller than a D4. 

I don't think JD made a gas 450.

Not sure for Allis dozers.  Anything that big and gas from Cat would be from the 20s or early 30s.

12 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I'm not sure there were any gas dozers bigger than a T9 which is smaller than a D4. 

I don't think JD made a gas 450.

Not sure for Allis dozers.  Anything that big and gas from Cat would be from the 20s or early 30s.

IH did make the T-14 which I’m guessing is the biggest gas crawler they made.  I understand they are rare.  A T9 series and D4 are in the same class if we are talking same years built

23 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

IH did make the T-14 which I’m guessing is the biggest gas crawler they made.  I understand they are rare.  A T9 series and D4 are in the same class if we are talking same years built

Good to know.  I guess I haven’t been around a 50s D4 thought they were TD14 equivalent.

what did the T14 have for an engine?  

answering my own question:  made 41-44 with a 4 cylinder 460 ci engine per tractor data.  Wonder if they were all made for the war effort?

6 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Good to know.  I guess I haven’t been around a 50s D4 thought they were TD14 equivalent.

what did the T14 have for an engine?  

answering my own question:  made 41-44 with a 4 cylinder 460 ci engine per tractor data.  Wonder if they were all made for the war effort?

How it goes is 

T6s = D2.  
T9s = D4.

T14s = D6.  

TD18s = D7

Now that is just up to the mid to late 50s.  After that I don’t know since IH changed model numbers and Cat kept upping the hp.  I didn’t even known IH made a T14 until I ran into a guy who owned one.  Grandpa farmed with a D4 as his first tractor in 1942.  He traded it for a TD-14 in 1948 and then switched that one out for a TD-14A in 1953 which we still have.  He always wanted a TD-18A but couldn’t afford one.

I am thinking the machine I saw was a Case.

It had the squared of hood and flush to front grill either a Case or an IH the JD machines had a recessed grill.

It was being walked out on the trail/road my camp is on for sure was a gas machine I want to say late 60's early 70's machine 

I was on a ladder painting trim so I did not get out to road to see who it was.

21 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I am thinking the machine I saw was a Case.

It had the squared of hood and flush to front grill either a Case or an IH the JD machines had a recessed grill.

It was being walked out on the trail/road my camp is on for sure was a gas machine I want to say late 60's early 70's machine 

I was on a ladder painting trim so I did not get out to road to see who it was.

Yea had a neighbor with a 60 something Case dozer that was gas. More of the D2/T6 size. Case did make a gas dozer clear up to the 1000/1010 range. Biggest I can find with a gas engine is the 600. The 450 looks to be about the same size as an old D4. Old D4 with a Cat blade is about 14,000 pounds.

Rick

20 minutes ago, Weapon said:

JD 1010 and 2010 could be bought with gas engines. 

John

Much to the despair of almost EVERYBODY that ever bought one. Deere's idea of making all 4 cylinder liners as one piece connected by a block deck plate even sounds like a terrible idea. Used the same design on the diesels too.  I can't imagine the heating and cooling of the different areas of those liners and deck plate put much stress on any of those sharp square corners machined into that thin wall casting.

Deere should have loaned THAT engineer out to Ford Tractor in return for the use of the Selecto-Speed engineer.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Much to the despair of almost EVERYBODY that ever bought one. Deere's idea of making all 4 cylinder liners as one piece connected by a block deck plate even sounds like a terrible idea. Used the same design on the diesels too.  I can't imagine the heating and cooling of the different areas of those liners and deck plate put much stress on any of those sharp square corners machined into that thin wall casting.

Deere should have loaned THAT engineer out to Ford Tractor in return for the use of the Selecto-Speed engineer.

To my understanding the guy behind the SOS transmission left Ford and went to JD where he was instrumental in designing JD's powershift.

I didn't know about the 1010/2010 engine design until now. That would explain why even JD enthusiasts warn new guys about those.

Rick 

15 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

If the 4 cylinder was such fun how much more fun was a 6 cylinder. 😵 Non at all tried running a JD 95 H combine a few seasons. 😢 A friend was given a old JD backhoe that ran after sitting close to 10 years, asked if I wanted it. Unloaded and son in law runs a hoe often and says not bad for 50 year old hoe. Well looked at oil and it was milkshake. Drained, and poured a gal of water in rad and in a minute it was coming out the pan, and started asking yep a 2010 Industrial.😢 So it sits and rusts 🤣 but a guy asked about it this spring and I said same price I payed, nothing. But he has been away fighting fire at $500 a day for most of 2 months. Sure hope he has not changed his mind.

Cat built a gas version of the 4600 engine used in the D 6 of WW2 vintage for road graders. I think they made the military a few gas D 6's but not sure. 

The subject of gasoline powered dozers puts me in mind of the Case W10B wheel loader we had for close to 20 years.  Had a gas Case 377 I-6 in it.  Man could it put away fuel.  We used it mainly to push silage so it was running near full throttle most of the time.   I’m not sure what the engine hp was rated for, no doubt comfortablely under 100 hp, I would say 80 or 90.  It had a 50 gallon fuel tank and it could empty that in a bigger day.  By comparison, now we run a Volvo L60E which is 140 hp I think, I hardly even look at the fuel gauge.  Maybe uses 2.5 gallons per hour compared to the 5 gph that the Case guzzled.

• Like 1

OC-6 Oliver would be my guess.