New Iron at the Dirt Boyz

Just picked this up today from our neighbors, it’s been sitting for a few years , the motor was over hauled 200 hours ago and had been working great . They started it up one morning after running it the day before and could hear a knock in the motor , pulled the head had it all checked out and found nothing in any of the cylinders , not sure where to start but I couldn’t see it go to the junk . It has a 429 motor in it , I have a DT466 that came out of a IH dozer not sure if it would fit in there or not . 
I have never worked on one of these being I’m a Cat guy but it will be fun to get it going 👍😊

Danny

0E223CF2-9F8E-420A-8165-D3F81FB01E28.jpeg

4B87CBB8-800D-4FEC-B738-36760F78590E.jpeg

46E01C1C-92A3-4065-B9F1-0C352525719A.jpeg

2ACD0157-0B17-4E05-8ABE-B86A26459343.jpeg

D32FBB4D-4405-4866-92E9-BC550761E0F4.jpeg

• Like 16

Super IH , the cab over belongs to my friend Herbert Starzinger from Austria , we just got done with the full service and waiting for a headlight bucket that was all cracked up . It’s getting frame painted and new aluminum outside rears and everything buffed out . Have to get the IH radio put in it and the fuel gage sending unit , drivers seat and it’s ready to head over across the pond . It has a 450 hp Cummins in it with a 10 speed road ranger just over 200,000 miles , the truck is really clean and has not been run in the salt , no rust anywhere ..

‘Danny 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Super IH , the cab over belongs to my friend Herbert Starzinger from Austria , we just got done with the full service and waiting for a headlight bucket that was all cracked up . It’s getting frame painted and new aluminum outside rears and everything buffed out . Have to get the IH radio put in it and the fuel gage sending unit , drivers seat and it’s ready to head over across the pond . It has a 450 hp Cummins in it with a 10 speed road ranger just over 200,000 miles , the truck is really clean and has not been run in the salt , no rust anywhere ..

‘Danny 

Did he just buy that from Brayden?

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

‘Danny 

Ok now you have my interest. How about some pictures of it?? Thanks Dave 

• Like 1

man that is pretty cool, congrats!!! love the old cabovers too, no help on engine stuff or transplant all im good for is moral support 

Nice 20B judging by the dash a lone star special

Already has the Danny reinforced steering clutch levers for the leverage a big man can apply, may need a Flintstone sun roof addition for visibility

Think the 466 was used in the later 15’s, probably a way to fit in in there 

I’m no expert on an engine knock, but you might have to pull the pan, and look from the bottom up? Our 7250 developed a knock a few years back, ran great one day, and the next day it started knocking, only at an idle it was the most noticeable.  Pulled the head, couldn’t see anything, pulled the pan, couldn’t really find anything, so I had my brother rolling over the engine so I could watch every stroke of each piston.  Number 4 piston, just before the top of the stroke, I could see a little sloppy motion from the piston and connecting rod, no other cylinders did this.  So we put one piston, and connecting rod in it, and no more knock.  My brother didn’t believe it was going to fix it, but that’s all we could find.  That was 1000-1500 hours ago.

Jeff , I’m not sure where it come from other than Missouri , the man that’s shipping it over seas drove it up here and dropped it off .

Danny 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Just picked this up today from our neighbors, it’s been sitting for a few years , the motor was over hauled 200 hours ago and had been working great . They started it up one morning after running it the day before and could hear a knock in the motor , pulled the head had it all checked out and found nothing in any of the cylinders , not sure where to start but I couldn’t see it go to the junk . It has a 429 motor in it , I have a DT466 that came out of a IH dozer not sure if it would fit in there or not . 
I have never worked on one of these being I’m a Cat guy but it will be fun to get it going 👍😊

Danny

0E223CF2-9F8E-420A-8165-D3F81FB01E28.jpeg

4B87CBB8-800D-4FEC-B738-36760F78590E.jpeg

46E01C1C-92A3-4065-B9F1-0C352525719A.jpeg

2ACD0157-0B17-4E05-8ABE-B86A26459343.jpeg

D32FBB4D-4405-4866-92E9-BC550761E0F4.jpeg

HI Danny ! there is a Transtar II in the backside which seems pretty good too !

16 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

‘Danny 

Very cool, that is my next project someday to restore a Transtar

19 minutes ago, superih said:

Very cool, that is my next project someday to restore a Transtar

They ,look nice, driving for few years....the looks were not enough.

Nice crawler!  Id lovee a 450 350 d3 d4 size rig.

Nice dozer. I’ve run a 15, but that’s a beast!

21 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

the cab over belongs to my friend Herbert Starzinger from Austria , we just got done with the full service and waiting for a headlight bucket that was all cracked up . It’s getting frame painted and new aluminum outside rears and everything buffed out . Have to get the IH radio put in it and the fuel gage sending unit , drivers seat and it’s ready to head over across the pond . It has a 450 hp Cummins in it with a 10 speed road ranger just over 200,000 miles , the truck is really clean and has not been run in the salt , no rust anywhere ..

Danny 

How many Horses will you get out of the old dozer ? I am sure you can get it running to its full potential.

Nice old Cabover. It will come up nice.  

You guys still get away with steel inners and aluminum outers? We are not allowed to do that here . We must have all aluminum or all steel on an axle. 

Marty,NZ 

5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Exact same feelings here.  First run I made for the company I drove for was in a TransStar, I could not wait to get enough runs to lay claim to a conventional.  Our company was called a " Spotting Service", we had lots of city drivers running all over, in fact I drove a couple days "spotting trailers", drove about 30 miles all day and "spotted 25-30 trailers".  In a IH S-1700 single axle tractor.  One of the spotting jobs I got was dropping 6 empty 45 ft trailers at the docks of B.F.Goodrich in Franklin Park, Ill from the Milwaukee Railroad terminal, and pulling six loaded trailers to the yard from BFG. Only 1-1/2 or 2 miles between the two places. In the 4-5 weeks I did this my fastest time to move all 12 trailers was right at an hour, and longest time was closer to 4 hours.  Climbing those extra steps up into a tilt cab really adds to the work you have to do. About the only tilt cab worse than a TranStar was the CL9000 Ford the company had. I had the misfortune of driving that one day. I never did get rid of the reflex of ducking my head going under 13-1/2 ft tall overpasses. Those Ford's had 4 steps, not 3. Not a bad truck once you got in the seat, just NOT something you wanted to climb into and out of 30-40 times a day.

I had plenty of time riding Shotgun with Dad in Emeryville and CO-190's and the occasional GMC L-model 72" BBC steel tilt cab. One thing they ALL had in common was the only thing ahead of the windshield was the wipers!

• Like 1

Qi always liked the i h industrial equipment, we had a couple dealers in the area that moved a lot, dont know where it all went. We still have several pans and loaders around, but the dozens are gone, that one sure looks like it's worth fixing

Today I will get the cab over out and take some picture for you guys , I see there is a lot of interest in this truck , it’s cool but not for me . Climbing in and out of that truck is not good and if you ever had a wreck you will be the first at the seen 😳 Keep in mind they didn’t make those trucks for guys like me 6ft 7” 😂 

The dozer will be fun when I get some time to look at it , glad to of saved it from the junk man ,  getting it home was the big thing 👍

Danny 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Not over the road, just for hauling grain out of the field.