5 dollar prize for anyone North of the Mason Dixie line to name this part.

Cotton spindle? 

• Like 2

Anal probe, leftover from the aliens that visited the south.

• Haha 3
39 minutes ago, Ed Leaman said:

only 2 guys that knew r in pa?

Three. I just got here.

I guessed it was a cotton ginner thing, but I wouldn't have on my own. You mentioned the mason dixon line.

9 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Anal probe, leftover from the aliens that visited the south.

Independence day, randy quaid playing a drunken pilot who was an alien abduction victim, running his plane with a jammed missile into the spaceship on a suicide run, yelling out " HELLO BOYZ, I'M BACCCKKK "

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Ed Leaman said:

only 2 guys that knew r in pa?

I was fairly confident that was the name of it but wasn't 100% sure. I added a question mark afterwards because I figured I was completely wrong 😂

Ok you guys are all patting yourselves on the back cuz ya know what it is, what does it do?

Just had one of those in my hand a week or so ago. The guy that had it used to be a jd mechanic and the first thing they told him in cotton picker school was Do NOT use those as a punch. Apparently they are very brittle.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Ok you guys are all patting yourselves on the back cuz ya know what it is, what does it do?

Used for driving that "cotton pickin" (pardon my expletive)frozen shaft out. 😉

12 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I think they work similar to snapping rolls on a corn picker but not quite the same. I have heard the description of how it picks by our chapter president Ben after they were at the Alabama show

Cotton picker spindle. It was my job to change those finger shredding devils on our IH 220 pickers. 

1 hour ago, Ed Leaman said:

Cotton picker spindle,

X2 Was at a CIH trade fair in Nashville in the 90's They had them on display. I still have the sample one they gave out.

I work on the machines that produce those so i recognized it, tho those are significantly different than ours. What make and vintage is that? They spin and wrap the cotton up an then the bar that holds then rotates into a diferent part of the head and is unwound by another part turning at a differnt speed , then it is blown up into the basket or baler. A rudimentary description.

And yes they are hardned and chrome plated at our facility, so they are somewhat brittle.

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, oleman said:

Cotton is normally picked by four fingers and a thumb on a right and left arm. Metal just gets in the cotton pickin way.

Fixed it for you ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

spike? off a cotton picker. my friend Mac Coley in Alabama gave me a couple of them when we were there 2 years ago.

14 hours ago, bitty said:

Cotton spindle? 

You are the winner if you will send me a self addressed stamped envelope and 4.99 for handling I will send you your prize

image.jpg

• Haha 2

nothing like that around here, never seen a cotton plant or picker, looks like a handy tool for sure. if it was smaller kinda looks like a leather punch that makes designs on leather when you stamp it but obviously too big for that