Td9 bucyrus erie leaking cylinders

Not looking forward to removing these as they leak really badly.  A friend told me that u can buy graphite packing cord and just loosen the cap; put this stuff around the ram  and tighten the cap back on.    Anyone heard of this and if you have where do I get the packing cord from?

If you took the cap off and slide it up the shaft some you can see the gap between the shaft and the retainer so that is the size packing you need.

not sure 3/8" or 1/2" you wrap it around as many times as you can and keep pushing it down till you can't fit anymore, Hence PACKING.   

On boat stuffing boxes you cut rings that fit around the shafts snugly. You don't coil it. I don't know if those on hydraulic cylinders are different, but on boats you offset the cuts like you do with piston rings and lay them in one on top of the other. Boat places also have the graphite braided packing.

I’ve been thinking about that and concluded that cutting rings rather than coiling makes more sense.   Just an update for everyone that helped upon taking apart I found both packing and vseals.   Ive ordered packing but I’m also trying split rubber v seals.    I think a problem with the old is that there wasn’t enough seal/packing in there.   If I was starting from scratch I’d just put in more packing

All the valves and pumps we would cut the rings but for this I just think coiling it in there would work

Had a debate on coiling vs packing on another forum ,,,  apparently some older manuals on waterpump packing speced rings

and other manuals left it coiled (but trimmed so that end of packing was flattish.). 6 of 1 half dozen other 😀

On 10/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, rodhergott said:

I’ve been thinking about that and concluded that cutting rings rather than coiling makes more sense.   Just an update for everyone that helped upon taking apart I found both packing and vseals.   Ive ordered packing but I’m also trying split rubber v seals.    I think a problem with the old is that there wasn’t enough seal/packing in there.   If I was starting from scratch I’d just put in more packing

Would you be able to share a few pictures of your project and your progress....  for those of us who have not been into these cylinders yet, but may have to or should ?