What do you do when you can’t find stuff❓🤷‍♂️

👀 looking for stuff is my biggest complaint in retirement. The latest thing is the air tube I bought from Fordson house back in February for the float on the Fordson ! 👀🤷‍♂️👀🤷‍♂️👀🤷‍♂️💩, I just saw it awhile back ,cleaned up garage so I could walk thru it with falling my donkey, ugh 😩️Mercy 

i have been fighting this for years, its not getting any better - so what i have done is I have added clear plastic tubs and consolidating things in them that will fit, car stuff, truck stuff, boat stuff, tractor stuff, electrical stuff, plumbing stuff, dont have it perfect yet but its getting better at least i have a tub to dig thru rather than an entire shop!!!

• Thanks 1

It drives my mother nuts at the garage there, both me and my dad were "Stackist's"  There is stuff in the same spot from before he died on shelves.  All of it is stuff that is NLA so I won't ever get rid of it.  She is always on a roll I should toss stuff.  I was watching cartoons with my 2 year old the other day and the one character Gil had a great line, "You can never stack good fruit to high!"  I told my mother that and she flipped out!

• Haha 2

Do not move ! Never move a old person ! If think that a solution for the their sake ! It ain’t , you asking Yourself for long and A lot of misadventures. 
since I moved I’ve gone crazy trying to find stuff. Call my son way to much about did I leave this or that there ! I can’t find it! Ugh !

Forget where I put stuff all the time. I call my wife and ask her if she knows where I would have put it or if she seen it anywhere. She’s right more than she’s wrong on where my stuff is. Don’t anybody here ever let her know I said that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I too am a terrible stackist, also get in a bad mood, irritated usually find before i resort to buying new tho. 

3 hours ago, Frank H said:

I waste a ton of time,  get in a bad mood,  go buy another part and promptly find the one I lost. 

X2, however in my case, if the price is not exorbitant, I purchase two (2) parts so I can misplace the remaining part when I have completed the project.

This is precisely what I found when I inherited my father's garage and shop. He would buy something because he couldn't find the one he had. I had so many tools that when I went to put them in the tool chest I ran out of space and just piled them on the floor in front of the tool chest. When I was done the pile was knee high. It was clear he never had everything stored in his toolboxes and there was so much duplication because when I hauled it out and cleaned and organized, I had to buy another whole rolling tool chest!

4 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

Forget where I put stuff all the time. I call my wife and ask her if she knows where I would have put it or if she seen it anywhere. She’s right more than she’s wrong on where my stuff is. Don’t anybody here ever let her know I said that. 

I'm in the same boat. That's why she married me, because she's so smart! John

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I too am a terrible stackist, also get in a bad mood, irritated usually find before i resort to buying new tho. 

You have to have the genetics to be a stack master, plus good training.................My old man was a king, and the neighbor taught me as good or better than the old man.  He has insane knowledge on alot of subjects, and bought machine tools, fasteners, old things, etc by the pickup load, so if he didn't have it, it wasn't made.  We would be over there and need wrenches, he would point to a pile of dirt on the floor............Push that around a bit............Pull it around with the broom, looking for a 1/2 wrench............Found 4 of them, plus half of the other sizes all Snap On's.:lol:

Part of the problem is the "stackist" - for a really good parts filing system you need to be a "horizontalist".  Spread it out so you've got a chance of  seeing it.

Does have practical restrictions on available space though.

One station (ranch) out here the "supermarket" is the nearest sandhill.

I suffer from CFS compounded by CRS. (I forget what I was even looking for)

I just go get my "Finder of All Things Lost" (my wonderful fully functioning wife)

One time while raking with a three point V-rake. I lost the drawbar to the SM. 

Came in for dinner and told her I was dreading finding it with the baler because it had to be under a windrow. 

She went out with me and after about a half hour she comes dragging it over to where I was raking. 

Don't know how she does it but I'm glad she does🥰🤠

• Like 6
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

I suffer from CFS compounded by CRS. (I forget what I was even looking for)

I just go get my "Finder of All Things Lost" (my wonderful fully functioning wife)

One time while raking with a three point V-rake. I lost the drawbar to the SM. 

Came in for dinner and told her I was dreading finding it with the baler because it had to be under a windrow. 

She went out with me and after about a half hour she comes dragging it over to where I was raking. 

Don't know how she does it but I'm glad she does🥰🤠

Yours has that magic also huh. I find it amazing but will never let her know. 

• Haha 2

Sit and recall where I last used it. I grew up in a large family, 4 boys 2 years apart. Blamed siblings for all loses. Today there is no one to blame but me.

Recently made a 660 mile round trip to work on a bus, didn't have a standard 1/2 combination wrench in the bus or truck tool box. Be easy on yourselves it is gonna get worse if you stick around long enough. Easy fix for most of mine is just purchase some other cheap crap, gonna get lost anyway!!

I put stuff in a safe place, and whenever I need something and I know I had it and put it away, I just don't remember where that place was!!!!

What I do for tools which is the mainstay of needs for me, I have a set for the bike, in the bike,  a set for the jeep, in the jeep, the truck has the big set set plus all the Milwaukee stuff, for stuff in the house I have the full set in the shed, now pertaining to that safe spot, any ideas???????????

If I can't find it call the boy up if he doesn't know where it is. I usually go buy it and then find what I needed a day later.

• Like 1

If only there was a place for everything and everything got put in it’s place!

I spend way to much time looking for stuff, at work and at home. Best thing to do is start looking for something else and you’ll find the first thing!

Dad just blames me, he always finds it better to have a good scapegoat