How many of you can relate?

How many of you are this guy?ย 1023AE66-DB6F-4376-B948-43D46A5DD021.thumb.jpeg.9037d355702c4f3915fcd954be34f38e.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

not me, but I do have a friend that's an auto tech. I was at his shop one time and he was working on something. I was just making small talk and said "what do you torque those nuts to?". He didn't say anything but as he turned the wrench he says "click, click. 'Bout there."

Another one he taught me, about torquing the fasteners on German cars... they need to be Gutentight. Hrrrrrr!!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
48 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

I have a brother who likes to turn them till they snap.ย  Then back off a bit ๐Ÿ˜†ย 

Had a college professor in the engineering department tell us once that's how tight the fence should be. "Stretch it till it breaks then back it off just a bit"

"Tighten it until it turns blue and squeaks....then another 1/2 turn".......mechanical engineering professor in my IC engines class....

Dad always said half a turn from stripping. So I always replied I'll turn it until it strips and back it off have a turn.

• Like 1

Unfortunately getting there faster than I wantย 

Had a buddy that would strip out almost everything he touched, kept me busy until I told him just wait till I can look at it save time in long run

If your wrenching daily you get a pretty good feel without a torque wrench, used to tighten and then check usually within a couple ft lbs

• Like 1
21 hours ago, KWRB said:

ย 

Another one he taught me, about torquing the fasteners on German cars... they need to be Gutentight. Hrrrrrr!!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

I use that one on American machinery all the time โ€” German torque setting โ€” gutentight!!

For a personal test I took a 42" breaker and a 33 MM socket to ta 500 FT # lug nut on the front of our bus, the lug won the test, I did not move it, could have probably if it was necessary but I wanted to keep my shoulders and elbows connected.

ย 

I "helped", ok I essentially did the job for my brother in law of intake gaskets on their minivan, GM 3100 engine. He asked if I could help him do it, even though I knew I'd be then one doing it. I told him to get all the gaskets, so he did that. Figured he'd save some of my time, and tear it apart too, and called and said he had it apart and just couldn't figure out why we had all these gaskets and wondered why I told him it would take a few hours when he had it apart in 15 minutes. I told him to leave it alone. So I get there, and even though I had pointed out earlier that the intake gaskets were the ones in the valley, he had taken the aluminum plenum off and figured that was the one I was talking about. I was like, where do you see coolant leaking from the plenum with no coolant in it? That's why we're changing them. So I took it apart, got it most of the way back together, just had to install and torque the rocker arm towers, put the valve covers back on and the upper intake. But, I had to head home for the night. The next day he said he saw my torque wrench there and decided to put it the rest of the way together but that one of the rocker thingys wouldn't tighten up anymore. I asked what he set the torque to, he said I just pulled on it until it was tight with your torque wrench, isn't that all you have to do? I then informed him that when set correctly, it would click. Well, he pulled the threads out of the head. So I had to loosen all the others and actually torque them, how he didn't strip those ones I'll never know. So I told him what helicoil set to get, and to not touch anything. The next day he calls and said he's got it fixed but the rocker thingys keeps falling off the little pushrod deal. So I head over there and he had watched a YouTube video on how to install a heli coil, and figured it was easy enough to do. Except he didn't buy the complete kit because it was expensive, he just bought the coils and guessed on a drill bit. Well that drill bit was about 2 sizes too big, and he drilled it horribly crooked. I have no idea how he got the heli coil in there but I think he just dropped it down his crooked, oversize hole. I had to drill it even bigger, straighten it up and install a thick wall Keensert to fix it. It was right on the brink of not being able to be drilled correctly to install it. After I got it fixed and back together, he casually said, "that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be".ย ๐Ÿ˜ 

• Haha 4