General Tires

vtfireman85

My wife requires studded snow tires, 

historically i have bought Pirelli or Hakkapalita (sp?) in doing a bit of poking around on the interweb I come up with these 2 offerings from General, have never had general but have always written them off as an entry level bargain tire so I never gave them much chance. Both have similar load index ratings, the LT seems to have deeper tread, than the non LT. i like the look of the non, but like the tread depth of the LT. Any experience, or any opinions? Or even suggestions as to a better choice? Must be studdable. 
https://generaltire.com/tires/winter/grabber-arctic-lt

https://generaltire.com/tires/winter/grabber-arctic

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

historically i have bought Pirelli or Hakkapalita (sp?) in doing a bit of poking around on the interweb I come up with these 2 offerings from General, have never had general but have always written them off as an entry level bargain tire so I never gave them much chance. Both have similar load index ratings, the LT seems to have deeper tread, than the non LT. i like the look of the non, but like the tread depth of the LT. Any experience, or any opinions? Or even suggestions as to a better choice? Must be studdable. 

I’m not sure on the auto tires, but on big trucks, general tire and continental are made in the same plant, and seem to be very good tires! My dad runs general tires on his truck, and I’ve had them on my trailer.

• Thanks 1

Try them let’s us know ? 
I like cooper even better than toyo on the f150 . probably could put another 50k on them if the frame Cab didn’t saggy on the f150 on the way back from Bloomberg,that would got me close to 400 k . Sold it ,plows snow in retirement 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:59 AM, vtfireman85 said:

But YOU are gonna do whatever YOU wanna do and WHEN you wanna do it so.....nevermind. 

23 minutes ago, MTO said:

But YOU are gonna do whatever YOU wanna do and WHEN you wanna do it so.....nevermind. 

??? no my marital bliss hinges heavily on the reliability of my wife’s transportation. She requires studded snow tires before the first storm it does not matter if studs are beneficial, nor does it matter if it means there was a better tire available that was not pinned for studs. If they are on and in great condition the liability is off me regardless of what happens, at least as far as she is concerned.

as such i buy the very best snow tires i can find, i mount them in November and I remove them in April. I replace them at 50 percent, which actually works out pretty well, historically, as used tires for Subaru sell quickly and for a decent sum, I really think that works out better in the end cost wise. I do the same with my Jeep. 

I don’t enjoy the doghouse as much as you seem to

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have run General Altimax Arctic and Cooper Evolution winter for snow tires and they were both very good. Last year was the first time I had tried the Cooper (I like their tires in general and run them on trucks and cars) and I am very impressed. Put some on a Chevy Impala and backed it out of a few drifts it had become a part of in the driveway up to the door handle. Basically as long as it didn't high center and the tires were on the ground it would keep going. Between those two I would go with whatever you can get a better price on; they have both been good in my experience, and we live in Northern Michigan and usually top 200 to 250 inches of snow per year at my house.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Had a set of cheap snow tires for our old car and they were ok but I have a set of Nokian Hakkapiillta 8s for our mini-van and they are definitely better.  Nokian sets the standard when it comes to snow tires.

If I can get them, i intend to, i have not tried the tire dealer I use, i was just looking around online and nokian was not coming up as an option that was available. The pirelli snows we had once were really great, And they seemed to last forever. It does seem to me the studs increase wear life. Makes sense I suppose. 

I have general Altimaxx ice on my daughters honda.  They seem to be okay good traction and are lasting.  The are only on for 5 months or so a year.  Bridgestone blizzak on wife’s honda CRV and other daughters Subaru also are performing very well good wear good performance. No studs in any of them.  Don’t get enough snow to need them. 

3 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I’m not sure on the auto tires, but on big trucks, general tire and continental are made in the same plant, and seem to be very good tires! My dad runs general tires on his truck, and I’ve had them on my trailer.

General was sold to Continental in 1987. All Generals are Continentals.

How do these dedicated snow tires do in deeper stuff? Say breaking trail in 18" of fresh wet snow with slush on the bottom. I've always been of the old school that narrow tires with aggressive tread and lots of siping are the way to go. I'm getting ready to buy some snow tires for the Silverado 265-75-16 so this thread is very timely for me too.

1 minute ago, yellowrosefarm said:

How do these dedicated snow tires do in deeper stuff? Say breaking trail in 18" of fresh wet snow with slush on the bottom. I've always been of the old school that narrow tires with aggressive tread and lots of siping are the way to go. I'm getting ready to buy some snow tires for the Silverado 265-75-16 so this thread is very timely for me too.

I was happy with the Cooper Evolution for that. They have a pretty open aggressive tread which is what does that in the deep stuff. The ones with finer tread and more siping are probably a littler better on slick ice but we get lots of snow here and can be slushy or wet and they were good about self cleaning the thick stuff and chewing through deep snow. They do work much better than an "all season" as most all season tires have more parallel grooves to be quiet on dry pavement but that isn't what cleans or makes grip in deep snow. Being you are looking for a Silverado with trucks you can also usually have the choice of "all terrain" tires which is much better than all season for deep snow. I put 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on my old K1500 and was very impressed with them in the snow for being a year round all terrain tire but they do have some fairly aggressive biting edges and sipes. We had a storm last November where we got over 2 feet and was pushing very thick/heavy snow even with the bumper of my truck and with a couple runs those Coopers would chew through it but they aren't going to perform quite like a true winter compound tire on the slicker stuff.

I've had problems with the Cooper AT3's being very hard to balance or just plain being out of round. I ran them for years on the Dodge I drove in snow, and they didn't let me down for that, but the ride was never without a bump, bump, bump going down the highway. Even the Ht's on my dually are the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MTO said:

Looks like Cooper doesn't make this tire in a 265/75/16. What do you recommend for light trucks?

the best SNOW tires i ever had on my truck were BFgoodrich Rugged Trail, they werent worth a hoot in mud but boy they would get so much traction they would wheel hope digging in snow, craziest thing i ever saw - They quit making them in 10 ply but you can still get in 6 for LTs in the 265/75/16 

I have been running Hankooks the last two sets on my superduty. Crazy good mileage just like the BFGoodrich. Not Noisy but more aggressive for better mud but not as good in the snow. I run lower pressures in the winter also that helps. 

I would get 90K + out of my Rugged Trails, got 85 out of the Hankook ATM then they changed to the AT2 and was at 72 on them when I just sold it and they will do another 20 easily. 

I am running some michelin LTX AT2 on my 2016 so will see how they do, they have way more siping so think they will probably do ok in snow, not so much in mud. 

I dont like loud tires so i compromise mud performance - if i want to get muddy i take the ATV/Mule or Tractor.  

• Like 1

I had a set of Michelin snow tires on my Buick when I had it, I’m not sure if they were pinned for studs, but they never let me down and wore great. I have a set of Firestone Winterforces on my Jeep and they have performed well but do not seem to be wearing the best. They do see a decent amount of gravel, so that may have something to do with it. My worst problem with snow is when it drifts, and once the county road drifts high enough it really doesn’t matter what kind of tires you have.

3 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Best ever tires i ever had on a truck were Blizzak w965, tremendous in all snow conditions, wont last for crap as a year round. I used these cooper at3 m+s which has the same tread design as the AT3 with more siping and a softer compound. They do better in warm weather than the discover M+S And seem to have been replaced by these.  I will get another set this year as mine are worn. I swap every year for the summer and winter. I ran them in the summer, they have another summer left in them. 
https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-4s

7 minutes ago, DaveinSD said:

I had a set of Michelin snow tires on my Buick when I had it, I’m not sure if they were pinned for studs, but they never let me down and wore great. I have a set of Firestone Winterforces on my Jeep and they have performed well but do not seem to be wearing the best. They do see a decent amount of gravel, so that may have something to do with it. My worst problem with snow is when it drifts, and once the county road drifts high enough it really doesn’t matter what kind of tires you have.

Those winterforce are awsome year one, after that the depreciate faster than an ice cream cone in Mexico. 

Michelin LTX wear forever and they are truly round. That's the problem with out of round cheaper tires. You just end up spending more on suspension and drive line components. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Looks like Cooper doesn't make this tire in a 265/75/16. What do you recommend for light trucks?

https://www.tires-easy.com/265-75-16/nokian-tires/hakkapeliitta-lt2-studded/tirecode/TS31810

Nokian dominated the snow tire market, they are based in Finland where they are required by law to run snow tires in the winter and their tire proving grounds is north of the artic circle and operates year around, they make snow tires for everything from bicycles to tractors.

• Like 1