Viscous fan clutches

Weapon

I have 2 CIH mx240’s. Why I’m not sure today we’re planting wheat and mx242 (since my wife gives them girly names that we can’t follow and was second to purchase) starts running hot but not that negligible till we needed to fill. Filled 1890 CCS Deere with no issue and moved it out of way and left it to idle with planter fan on. Tractor went to 250 deg and shutdown and blew lower rad tank. We move it out of way and put on 241 which works for awhile but it too overheats and doesn’t shutdown but son says it rises in temp engine running lowers with engine off and fan spins with just wind blowing thru and that’s just a lite breeze  

So questions are can 2 go at same time, apparently so cause I’ve got this issue, how do you test them, and how do you lock them out. 

I’m against a rock and hard place. They want 7500 to rent tractor (100 hr minimum) need tractor for 10 hours to finish up but would just have to let it set on laneway running full throttle for a week to make up the difference  

John. 

Are they electroviscous clutches? Or just viscous? It makes a difference.  If you don't know how to tell, an electroviscous will have a round piece in front that has wires coming off of it.  A viscous has a spring.  Need to know which it is. 

I suppose it is possible for 2 to fail at the same time, but highly unlikely.  

No, you can't lock them on. 

7 hours ago, Weapon said:

I have 2 CIH mx240’s. Why I’m not sure today we’re planting wheat and mx242 (since my wife gives them girly names that we can’t follow and was second to purchase) starts running hot but not that negligible till we needed to fill. Filled 1890 CCS Deere with no issue and moved it out of way and left it to idle with planter fan on. Tractor went to 250 deg and shutdown and blew lower rad tank. We move it out of way and put on 241 which works for awhile but it too overheats and doesn’t shutdown but son says it rises in temp engine running lowers with engine off and fan spins with just wind blowing thru and that’s just a lite breeze  

So questions are can 2 go at same time, apparently so cause I’ve got this issue, how do you test them, and how do you lock them out. 

I’m against a rock and hard place. They want 7500 to rent tractor (100 hr minimum) need tractor for 10 hours to finish up but would just have to let it set on laneway running full throttle for a week to make up the difference  

John. 

You can make two straps from the outer hub bolts to inner mount bolts. Locks your fan. John dDeere has a kit for 4650/4850s that can be used on a lot of clutch fans or make your own straps 

411A84FE-BB7C-443D-A040-D8767E9F0428.jpeg

• Like 1

As far as testing the fan clutch, if you have access to a phototachometer, the procedure is to warm everything up under load and then check fan speed with the phototach. At 2000 engine rpm, the fan should be running at a minimum of 2277.

As far as bypassing the viscous clutch, we used to pop the spring on the front side of the fan clutch...which essentially locks it up internally. However, thats only providing that the clutch still has its silicone in it. If it doesn't, this won't help any.

Also, CaseIH used to provide a direct-drive fan kit for those tractors for 1200PT planters. That was more so for hydraulic heating, not high engine temperatures.

240 fan lockup.PNG

240 direct drive fan.PNG

240 fan speed.PNG

If you use straps make sure they weigh the same and the holes are drilled exactly the same to keep it in balance . We have replaced a few hubs over the years

Gotta watch on those viscous hubs that the coil spring, or the thermostatic strip up there doesnt get packed with dirt and cant move.  

Personally I think non electronic viscous fans are a POS no matter what.  If it gets used hard, direct drive is the best option.