super mta radiator question

My radiator core is beyond repair.  My question is should I have it recored or purchase a replacement radiator?  I've heard all sorts of stories about aftermarket radiators.

Brian

29 minutes ago, 55cub said:

My radiator core is beyond repair.  My question is should I have it recored or purchase a replacement radiator?  I've heard all sorts of stories about aftermarket radiators.

Brian

I have good luck with aftermarket ones its a matter of preference and how fast you want to get it going again I don't hesitate replacing them done it on many tractors no problems yet the bigger more expensive ones I've tried to get repaired always had issues 

I have not had any luck with aftermarket ones. I don't think it's as much from the boat ride but the fact that they are built cheaply in china to start with

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I have not had any luck with aftermarket ones. I don't think it's as much from the boat ride but the fact that they are built cheaply in china to start with

Buy a OEM radiator and see where's its made then

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Buy a OEM radiator and see where's its made then

None of the major manufacturer cnh etc are making this older stuff . It's outsourced 

21 minutes ago, bitty said:

None of the major manufacturer cnh etc are making this older stuff . It's outsourced 

That's what I was pointing out they import their stuff from china too exactly same as aftermarket now So many OEM parts are made in china , mexico france to name afew 

• Like 1

Have yours Recored,      you will have a choice of how many tubes & the diameter of tubes.   A Good Shop will ask you, what you want.

A few years ago a friend purchased a  "Cheap" Factory replacement Radiator for his Super M,    He got what he paid for,   2 rows of tubes in a Flat black radiator housing,

Looked good once it was installed,  Worked for a parade tractor,  It wouldn't have worked as a tillage tractor.

My 2 cents,  Jim Droscha

I bought an aftermarket replacement radiator for a SM a few years ago. Thing wouldn't even come close to fitting without a lot of swimming then grill wouldnt fit properly. Took it back to the rad repair shop where I bought it & had them record my old radiator. Record was 50% more than the new aftermarket but it did fit correctly.

• Like 1

Super MTA radiator now that's a hot subject 😈

A new core job would be great, good experience shops are few and long gone.😲

There is a lot of working dimensions on the radiator to hold, width, height steering shaft go's threw the top pan.

the radiator is fit inside a steel frame and together hold the front & top hood in place.

the radiator mounts on two rubber pads, with two 3/8 studs, springs & nuts that's all 😲 😵

the weight of a full radiator is a lot.🌊

let us know what way you go, I'm going to need some radiators also, thanks

I would find a good used radiator that was 50 years old before I trusted any Chinese crap!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, R Pope said:

I would find a good used radiator that was 50 years old before I trusted any Chinese crap!

Been there done that doesn't work end up spending twice as much 

I replace them, use northern 's, been very happy.  I had acouple customers that were hung up on fixing originals, the bill for it was always way higher than it should have been IMO as new was cheaper, 560 for example I know as fact as I replaced mine at the same time I did one for one of those guys.  

• Like 1

Clancy is supposed to be a good radiator too, though the one in the 856 sprung a leak and we spun two of the "nutserts" they used in the frame trying to get it out even though all the bolts were neverseezed. No idea how long it was in the tractor.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it really depends on how the tractor will be used. From what I can tell, all the new replacements have less tubes than the originals.