1440 combine hydraulic leak

BobinIL

1 hour ago, BobinIL said:

What all does it take to rebuild these

I would be careful.  Took one out and sent it to be rebuilt cause it leaked - put it back in and nothing worked.  Bought a used one and everything works now but it does leak.  Old posts on this topic often say that they leak and getting to stop is difficult.

I would wait until after harvest.  I made the mistake before harvest and it set me back 3 weeks.

• Sad 1

I suggest cleaning the valve stack very good spray it down with brakeleen and then have someone run the hydraulic functions to see precisely where the leak is there are many places external from the valve itself I have seen leak it may be something simple 

Bob and others,

I have one that right now is doing what you are experiencing,  I found mine was leaking at a poor crimp on the hydraulic hose.   After checking the hose size,  I found that there had been a size #8 hose installed with size #10 fittings.   My thoughts are that the hose may be restricting the flow and causing a pressure rise.

GT&T

10 hours ago, GT&T said:

After checking the hose size,  I found that there had been a size #8 hose installed with size #10 fittings.

How exactly does that work?  Would have taken some good persuasion to coax a larger fitting into a smaller hose.  Hydraulic hoses don't exactly stretch. Even if it did, it would be tough to get a crimp on it.  I bet it was just a poorly made hose. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

How exactly does that work?  Would have taken some good persuasion to coax a larger fitting into a smaller hose.  Hydraulic hoses don't exactly stretch. Even if it did, it would be tough to get a crimp on it.  I bet it was just a poorly made hose. 

I think what he is saying is instead a a 5/8 hose with #10 fittings it was a 1/2 hose with #10 fittingS making not as much oil travel through the hose.

8 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

I think what he is saying is instead a a 5/8 hose with #10 fittings it was a 1/2 hose with #10 fittingS making not as much oil travel through the hose.

Paystar

Thank You for helping to clear up what I was trying to say.   You are absolutely right.

GT&T

• Like 1