I bought this 2 weeks ago. 2016 Columbia glider with a 12.7 Detroit in it. Running from York Nebraska to Fremont Iowa, it’s getting 6.6 MPG. If I would learn to quit racing everyone, I think I could get it up close to 7. 
Has air ride front end and actually drives quite nice. The cab is a LOT quieter than the Peterbilt was. 

33FA262E-9E2C-4EDB-A712-5F8F39C76A33.jpeg

• Like 11

So where did you find it?

C/L ad claiming all the same "one owner/never driven in winter/parked inside/never pulled 45k?

Where does a guy shop for the big rigs?

34 minutes ago, MTO said:

C/L ad claiming all the same "one owner/never driven in winter/parked inside/never pulled 45k?

Truck paper

well good for you i hope it serves you well - safety and profits included - looks great!! my cousin runs a trucking business and he loves his detroits, fav is the 60series for longevity - his personal truck has 1.2 on it last i talked to him 

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

The cab is a LOT quieter than the Peterbilt was. 

Tyler that bought Lancaster's feed store just bought him a 99 379 ext hood with a 3406 E model (I think). Anyway, very sharp looking truck but the 7" stacks are rattling his brain. 

The '11 KW we just got is so smooth and quiet I've almost got to look at the tach to see when to shift😆

Running the 07 Columbia tonight and forgot how loud it is in the cab.

The newer trucks sure make the miles more comfortable.

Congrats on the new ride😃

• Like 1

Very clean looker, great color, I've always wondered if you mid west guys use the rear air deflectors or the rear axle deflectors, almost all the trucks I see up here have some sort of dam on the back.

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

The newer trucks sure make the miles more comfortable.

....Awhile back , there was a ''tractor  crawler   challenge'  'in Southland  , about    530 miles from home......We took two IH crawlers down...on Brother -in Law's     old Transtar..   It   is one a just a  handfull in New Zealand,,,RHD and      8V71   powered.......We had a ''support '' vehicle..but I drew the short straw   .......The truck performed flawlessly  , but going through a  Mountain Pass.....about a third of the way there , the flexible exhaust  pipe off the right hand bank's manifold   , broke ......

My hearing has never been good since  the Caterpillar    workshop  days.......That trip about wiped it right out......Horrendous noise from the old Detroit,,,,,,,this despite  ear muffs and plugs   ...I was able to effect  a crude repair, using  some roofing iron.....(a small bit....) and wire twitches.....it helped a little...'but I still coundn't  hear myself whining about the noise....:blink:

Mike

post-157-1205824909.jpg

post-157-1205824740.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, MTO said:

I found this one when I called about a seat for the Pete I was driving. Bought it sight unseen. My wife worked for the dealer briefly. Called him on Thursday and had it financed Tuesday the next week. If we wouldn’t have decided we wanted it in a LLC I could have been in it in less than a week. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, mike newman said:

....Awhile back , there was a ''tractor  crawler   challenge'  'in Southland  , about    530 miles from home......We took two IH crawlers down...on Brother -in Law's     old Transtar..   It   is one a just a  handfull in New Zealand,,,RHD and      8V71   powered.......We had a ''support '' vehicle..but I drew the short straw   .......The truck performed flawlessly  , but going through a  Mountain Pass.....about a third of the way there , the flexible exhaust  pipe off the right hand bank's manifold   , broke ......

My hearing has never been good since  the Caterpillar    workshop  days.......That trip about wiped it right out......Horrendous noise from the old Detroit,,,,,,,this despite  ear muffs and plugs   ...I was able to effect  a crude repair, using  some roofing iron.....(a small bit....) and wire twitches.....it helped a little...'but I still coundn't  hear myself whining about the noise....:blink:

Mike

post-157-1205824909.jpg

post-157-1205824740.jpg

7 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

post-157-1205824909.jpg

post-157-1205824740.jpg

Agreed, i bleed GM But not a Detroit fan, 2 cycle anyway 

On 9/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Agreed, i bleed GM But not a Detroit fan, 2 cycle anyway 

Oh man, what`s WRONG with you!

I rented a single axle dump with a 9 sp in it years ago to haul fill from shop to home, 3 miles.

I had a blast with that gutless noisy straight piped thing!

Everyone within 5 miles of me heard every gear!... and missed gear.

• Haha 2

I keep getting asked by the boss what I get for mileage. When I tell him there’s a puzzled look on his face😎 4.1 as I write this. 
They were sold a bill of goods stating they would get better mileage with an automatic transmission. They don’t realize the dealership was comparing flatbeds to a walking floor trailer and 80,000 pound loads to 90,000 + pound loads. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I keep getting asked by the boss what I get for mileage. When I tell him there’s a puzzled look on his face😎 4.1 as I write this. 
They were sold a bill of goods stating they would get better mileage with an automatic transmission. They don’t realize the dealership was comparing flatbeds to a walking floor trailer and 80,000 pound loads to 90,000 + pound loads. 

Try pulling a set of doubles. Aerodynamics are horrible but after a 500k miles mine has lifetime average of 7.8

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Try pulling a set of doubles. Aerodynamics are horrible but after a 500k miles mine has lifetime average of 7.8

Yup! I haven’t done that, but this trailer is a sail at 13’-4”. Pulling across NH my foot is in the governor for the majority of the trip. This poor dog is just hanging it’s tongue out looking for more☹️

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Good job of shifting, but why would you not skip most of them? I rarely use all 13 and bobtail I rarely use the first 5

On 9/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Lazy WP said:

Good job of shifting, but why would you not skip most of them? I rarely use all 13 and bobtail I rarely use the first 5

Shez a showoff!

• Thanks 1

.........easy trans to shift....as you blokes will know....the old Road Ranger  can shift sweetly without even clutching.......but what sorted the boys from the drivers were the old ZF boxes, in the Mercedes Benz 6x4   trucks.......doing Forestry work on uphill gradients.......Gravelling roads, with a max of one in nine gradient......You had to be on top of the game to change up in those conditions .....

Mike

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, mike newman said:

easy trans to shift

I am a relative noob to this trucking thing and have only had a Super Ten and three 13 speeds but they are so easy to shift I don't mind rowing through the gears. Empty start out in 4th gear, loaded start out in second. 

If I'm bored I might skip the split sometimes but usually hit them all. Only time I use clutch is to start and stop. 

Have told the guy that buys these trucks for me that I will drive damned near anything so long as it has a 13sp

4 hours ago, MTO said:

Now you wanna talk noise, spend 10 to 12 hours on a Jimmy powered Gradall at WOT all day. 

Is that what happened to you Mark?

Congratulations on a different truck, what hp and ratio is it?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

Is that what happened to you Mark?

Congratulations on a different truck, what hp and ratio is it?

500 hp. 3.54? Gears. Freightliner has weird ratio. Doesn’t pull as well as the Peterbilt did setup the same way, but I will get it tweaked to fit me. 

6 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

We have a 13 spd in our tanker, you simply cannot, the most experienced driver who drives one all day cant, it may have something to do with the water sloshing around, not sure, but the truck just does not like it. 

8 hours ago, MTO said:

Oh man, what`s WRONG with you!

I rented a single axle dump with a 9 sp in it years ago to haul fill from shop to home, 3 miles.

I had a blast with that gutless noisy straight piped thing!

Everyone within 5 miles of me heard every gear!... and missed gear.

If you found it gutless, you weren’t pushing hard enough on the right pedal