Neighbor called to see if I would help him break some lugs loose on his old grain truck, left rear, could not break them loose wanted me to heat lug nuts with My torch. Told him no but ill bring my good 3/4 set over and see if I could help, nothing was moving until I saw the L stamped in the bud. His impact broke 1 loose. My snap on ratchet a jackstand and few (6) feet of pipe later we got them all loose. When they broke loose it send quite the shock to the point I bruised my hand when it popped. 

Moral of the story look for the thread direction....

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I didn't know they made left handed lug nuts?   Good to know! 

Back long before i was born the theory was that the threads on the left needed to be same as roration so the nuts would not back off with braking?

I know someone that did all four brakes on the back of a semi with Budd wheels.  One axle has the hubs on correctly with right hand threads on the right and left hand threads on the left.  The other axle is just the opposite.  I have tried to convince them that it would be cheaper to swap the hubs to the correct side than to keep breaking studs.

I have also seen left hand and right hand threaded studs on the same wheel.  I have even done that myself TEMPORARILY to get my own truck back on the road.  I promptly switched the studs back as soon as I received the new studs.

• Like 1

Guys would come in wanting plow shares or disc openers for Cyclo planters and comment they either broke the bolt/bolts off or couldn't get them loose. I said they are lh on the plow and the one side is on the openers.

When a customer asked for tractor front rims, hubs, studs, nuts, etc I would ask which side.  Hardly ever sold anything for the right side.  Was told that the rolling action of the wheel would loosen under torqued left side hardware.

I remember dad's 59 Oldsmobile and a 63 Mercury had left-handed threads and plowshare bolts have left-handed threads

my 63 ihc pickup had left hand nuts on the left side. I remember well as when i graduated high school in 1970 and a few too many coors we had a flat and 3 of us had a heck of a time changing the left rear tire on the pickup. We all learned to screw the right way not the wrong way

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Did you use a left handed crescent wrench?

i actually have an adjustable wrench where the adjuster turns the opposite way of most wrenches very hard to use when you have Cresent or diamond brand wrenches for the other sizes also my D-2 IH PICKUP  has left hand lug nuts.

Had a similar mishap today, ended up punching the driveway, it felt bad and made my knuckles bleed. 
you probably would have rattled a long while on them before they loosened up That way. 

2 hours ago, hagan said:

my 63 ihc pickup had left hand nuts on the left side. I remember well as when i graduated high school in 1970 and a few too many coors we had a flat and 3 of us had a heck of a time changing the left rear tire on the pickup. We all learned to screw the right way not the wrong way

...interesting  comment......:rolleyes:.......sort of looking at another thread......  so to speak.....;)

Mike

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had a similar mishap today, ended up punching the driveway, it felt bad and made my knuckles bleed. 
you probably would have rattled a long while on them before they loosened up That way. 

Only had a half inch air gun without enough compressor... Wishing for a 1/2 inch Milwaukee...

3 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Old mopars had left handed on one side. 

i was going to say this, i have a trailer made of one of their axles - and mark is right ford did too cant remember on exactly what years tho but it was a while ago - the axle on my wagon is from the 50s 

3 hours ago, MTO said:

as did Ford.

Don`t recall seeing them on the GMs though.