9230 pros and cons

Harvester66

Found one coming up on auction, need to go look at it, just wondering what you guys think of them I know they are getting older but do like 8.3 in my magnum and 1688. Tractor does have 7100 hours and also pto and 3 point.

I'd love to have one. Guys who own them say the short wheel base and lighter weight makes them ride a little roughly and maybe power hop a little easier. But I would still love to have one with pto and 3pt of course 

If your tractor is power hopping, you either need to add weight, or reduce the load or speed.  Can also be a tire problem.  Firestone 23° will hop.  The deep tread version does not do it as bad until you overload them and then the tractor will jump off the ground!

We run a 9330.  Great tractor for its size. 

• Like 1

We run a 9330. Great tractor. Has the the 3 point and pto. Never had any power hop issues with it. We run it on our 25 foot 496 disk And run the grain cart in the fall with it. Been a great tractor so far with no issues. The only complaint that I have about it is every time you push the clutch in it goes back to first gear. 

6 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

The only complaint that I have about it is every time you push the clutch in it goes back to first gear

Yes, that is a big PITA!  We have discussed that up at the farm before, snd think it might be what saves those transmissions though.  Seems they last a very long time. 

44 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Yes, that is a big PITA!  We have discussed that up at the farm before, snd think it might be what saves those transmissions though.  Seems they last a very long time. 

Would definitely agree with you on that! That 12 12 speed tranny is definitely a good one. 

There a great tractor , I worked on them and sold them been up at the factory and down at Case IH Proving Grounds in Scottsdale AZ ?? If you get it bought do a full service , all fluids and filters and use Case IH fluids and filters and it will be good to you . There a great tractor for a smaller farmer for there big tractor and it works for a small tractor for a big farmer pulling planters and grain carts . You can put most anyone in it and drive it , the tranny is stupid proof , it starts in 1 st gear and Shifts up to 12 th and it down shifts on its own if your going down the road and step the clutch in for a field drive it automatic drops to the gear that the wheels are turning . 
The visibility is great , nice cab , great motor ?

‘Danny 

I spent many hours running a 9230 on grain cart and field cultivator for a guy I worked for in college. Great tractor and good visibility as others have mentioned. The transmission going to 1st as others mentioned was a pain on the grain cart but the skip shift did help.

MY 9230 has been nearly flawless.   MY only wish is I could figure out how to put an auto downshift on it for the hard spots!   Once I figured out that the shift lever is a "hydraulic" lever, not a switch, that idea went DOA.   

I pull a 28' DMI FC,  & a 7 shank ripper.    Mines bareback, so no cart, but I think it would make a great tractor to pull a couple big wagons.

Only problem I have had with the tractor is the little canister fuel filter...keep 2 on hand.  (of all the stupid ideas on a 240hp tractor....)   And changing the filter, I had to call my IH guy to find the bleed screw on the pump - (hiding behind it).    When I got it, the dealer checked the valve lash, put on a new head gasket where it was seeping, and changed all the fluids.   No problems since.

No power hop.   Much smoother ride than a 2wd, but not a nice as a MFD with the front suspension.   At the hours you list, you may want to check/replace the pivot bushings.   

10 hours ago, J-Mech said:

If your tractor is power hopping, you either need to add weight, or reduce the load or speed.  Can also be a tire problem.  Firestone 23° will hop.  The deep tread version does not do it as bad until you overload them and then the tractor will jump off the ground!

We run a 9330.  Great tractor for its size. 

That is interesting with Firestones. I just put a new set on my 706D and thought I would use it and my old #37 disc to till up a small area where I had oats and next to where I had tile put in. About hopped me off the seat at times. The old Good Years never did that. No weights on the tractor.

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

That is interesting with Firestones. I just put a new set on my 706D and thought I would use it and my old #37 disc to till up a small area where I had oats and next to where I had tile put in. About hopped me off the seat at times. The old Good Years never did that. No weights on the tractor.

Were the Goodyear's a bias ply tire? 

May be as simple as old vs new rubber.   I got a quick "lesson" in the difference on a single axle semi-tractor.    Put new rubber on the rear...tire guy warned me that the new rubber would "be more squirmy" until it "hardened".  I nodded, jumped in.....first curve I came to the rear end went out......and I near filled my pants.     A year later, and the squirm was gone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Were the Goodyear's a bias ply tire? 

The Goodyears were radials. The Firestones are bias. I just spray and plant with it. Thought with new tires it would be fun to disc with it once as the 282 was replaced at one time with a 301. But my back was mad at me when I got done. Should have used the White and 490. Thanks

2 hours ago, cedar farm said:

The Goodyears were radials. The Firestones are bias.

The old bias Goodyear's were good tires.  The bias Firestone's aren't worth buying.  Probably nothing you can do about power hop on those other than add weight. 

I think the 9230s are overall pretty good. Might need an occasional fan belt or U-joint. Might be a little harder to keep straight furrows behind you than with longer-wheelbase 4WDs. Had a spinner knob and hit the steering stops hard to turn around short and eventually needed welding there.

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

The old bias Goodyear's were good tires.  The bias Firestone's aren't worth buying.  Probably nothing you can do about power hop on those other than add weight. 

Should have asked on here first. They look nice.