966 Fuel Issue

Back in the Spring I posted about this 966 that one of our landlords gave us . It had been sitting for about 30 years. We put a battery in it to see if it would turn over and it started right up. We got it home the other day and power washed it and changed the oil, and all the filters on the tractor. After I drained all the old fuel out and started it back up it ran fine for a while and I hooked it to the old corn shelled then it died in the field. Checked the fuel filters and they were empty. It plugged the elbow under the tank with black flaky stuff. After a hour or so getting tank off I have washed the tank out a bunch and the black flaky stuff keeps coming out. Is this stuff algae? I can’t seem to ever get it all out and it’s hard to wash inside anyway? Any ideas how to clean it completely out? Don’t want to put it on and have the same issues. Thanks 

A7DB7638-0FCA-4CA5-A1AD-C96BF2BB0477.jpeg

63901891-49EC-4BD4-92BC-1333CC3935BC.jpeg

72478E87-B28D-4843-93C7-F404AB691F10.jpeg

13DEF75F-26E1-4BA8-B63D-77396DF49974.jpeg

68F7C2DD-E7FA-412A-9609-360CCD6A522F.jpeg

I just went through this myself.  My method was putting a pressure washer nozzle directly on the end of the hose, taking the elbow out and give it a good douching inside there while changing positions where the spray is hitting.  With the heat turned up that tank gets pretty hot, and when you drain it a good bit should evaporate or stick a blow gun down in to assist.  It worked I'd say 80% okay, still got some poo in there, hoping if I keep running it and keep the tank full it will break up and pass.  With it having a cab I REALLY dont want to pull the tank

I have done what stronger 800 said. It was a tank on a Ford grain truck. It was very clean when I was done. Just like your tractor it had been sitting a long time and kept plugging filter.

Thanks for the help, I’ll try some of these , I noticed the shop who has an ad in the redpower magazine  has tank sealer. Should I put sealer in the tank after I get it clean. 

Muriatic acid works the best , but you need to be carful working with it , save the old acid after use it , don’t dump it down the drain 😳 Then hot soapy water with a power washer 

Danny

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Muriatic acid works the best , but you need to be carful working with it , save the old acid after use it , don’t dump it down the drain 😳 Then hot soapy water with a power washer 

Danny

Thanks will it need sealer after that 

Just a note of caution with muriatic acid. It is very corrosive, use and store it outside downwind from any thing metal. I had a small plastic jug of it in the garage, and one day I noticed some rust on the handle of my vise. This was in southern CA, and rust basically doesn't exist. I went away for a couple of days, and when I got back, everything in my garage that was not painted was rusty, and if it had chrome on it, it was dull. I didn't realize that I had the acid in there, and when I tracked it down, it hardly had a hole in it, just enough to let the fumes out.

It was also at work to clean out a gas tank. It was stored out back in a metal cabinet, and the fumes come in the walk in door and rusted everything inside close to it. This was during the summer, and there was no moisture in the air. Some pool chemicals will also do it.

11 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Danny

This stuff is pretty good to work with and does a great job on numerous things. Soot stains on the bricks of a wood fireplace is a great example. It comes right off after a good soak, but be careful while using it. Latex gloves, face shield, etc. Get it on your fingers and they will feel slick from the "dissolving action" of your first layer of skin. Rinse three times to be sure.