Magnum on JD 3975 chopper

A  question for all,

With JD being closed center hydraulics and the Magnums 7120 and 7230 being pressure compensated closed center why do the Magnum hydraulic not seem to work with the JD chopper.

It seems like the rear remote hooked to the chopper the hydraulics go to the high pressure "mode" and squeal and whistle like it is lifting a relief valve, it will actually pull the engine down a bit at idle.

It seems like the answer is to add an open center valve bypass to the chopper.

I haven't had a chance to do so as we have been busy chopping with the old NH 230 chopper that the Deere 3975 is supposed to replace.

Any thoughts or knowledge about what to do.

4 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

1206 is correct have set many up this way.

Strange it makes a difference as pretty much every large Deere tractor made within the past 30 years is pc/ls hydraulics as well.  

24 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Strange it makes a difference as pretty much every large Deere tractor made within the past 30 years is pc/ls hydraulics as well.  

30 years???

I was about to say 40 years myself but I then realized that 50+ years would be more accurate!!!

27 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I might be in left field here but I think a Deere is full pressure at all times flow on demand and the case IH is low pressure standby with full flow at all times.  I think both systems can be closed center.  The magnum needs the open center so it can circulate its fluid so the pump doesn’t go to max pressure.  

41 minutes ago, Mighty1206 said:

Set the chopper for open center hyd and turn the flow control on the tractor down as far as you can and have the controls work good. Normally you only need 2 to 3 gpm to make the chopper work right.

I fully agree with turning the remotes down in this application.  We have some manure pumps that we run a valve body with a remote and so many times the guys have the hyd turned up to max flow.  Just not necessary and can be the cause of problems.  

I'm not to smart so just wondering what requires this hyd operation on a Deere chopper ?  have not been around one. Is the sharpener hyd motor driven ? Only thing on my NH is the tongue swing.

On Deeres, anything before the 7/8000 series(think tractors with SoundGard body cabs), are closed-center, but NOT load compensating, meaning they build up high pressure and try to maintain that pressure at all times. 
Ever since the 7/8000 series Deeres, they are closed-center, load-sensing, just like CaseIH Magnums have been since day one, as well as 50 series IHs. When there is no hydraulic demand, the system runs at a low pressure. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SDman said:

On Deeres, anything before the 7/8000 series(think tractors with SoundGard body cabs), are closed-center, but NOT load compensating, meaning they build up high pressure and try to maintain that pressure at all times. 
Ever since the 7/8000 series Deeres, they are closed-center, load-sensing, just like CaseIH Magnums have been since day one, as well as 50 series IHs. When there is no hydraulic demand, the system runs at a low pressure. 

Thank you for explaining this.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

I'm not to smart so just wondering what requires this hyd operation on a Deere chopper ?  have not been around one. Is the sharpener hyd motor driven ? Only thing on my NH is the tongue swing.

The spout swing and flipper and the tongue swing are all run by one tractor valve with an electric over hydraulic valve and a control box.

9 hours ago, SDman said:

What I was meaning to say, which the 7/8000 series are 30 years old now.  

This 3975 does not appear to have the ability to be switched to open center, nothing in the manual about it.

This chopper uses hydraulics for the tongue swing, the flipper, the spout rotation, the header forward and reverse, and the header lift.

Anyone have the method of converting the electric hydraulic block on the chopper?

It sounds like the chopper is an open center valve.  Just turn the tractor flow down until the you don’t hear the tractor engine labor when you engage the chopper hydraulic circuit.  I have a mixer wagon that has the same sort of deal.  Open center valve running 4 different functions.  Runs fine on open center or closed center tractor, just need to turn the flow down on the closed center tractor.  

6 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

What I was meaning to say, which the 7/8000 series are 30 years old now.  

I know you were...just trying to clarify things as there is a lot of confusion among people when talking about Deere tractors and closed/open center hydraulic systems.

First off, pretty much any Deere tractor newer than the 2-cylinders is closed-center..so that goes back to 1960. John Deere used that radial-piston hydraulic pump on pretty much all tractors from the New Generation 30/4010s all the way through the 4960s up through the early 1990s. That system is what is called "Closed-Center Flow-Compensating", which means that the system tries to maintain high-pressure at all times, regardless of flow requirements.

The newer system is both pressure and flow compensating, meaning that the pump is able to vary pressure and/or flow depending on hydraulic requirements. Pretty much standard across the whole industry since the late 1990s. FWIW, CaseIH and New Holland can't even agree on what to call this setup. CaseIH calls it PFC for "Pressure/Flow Compensating", while New Holland calls it CCLS for "Closed-Center Load Sensing". Its the same thing.

And yes, you are right...the 7/8000 series Deeres are close to 30 year old tractors anymore. Doesn't seem like its been that long ago...I guess I'm showing my age.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SDman said:

And yes, you are right...the 7/8000 series Deeres are close to 30 year old tractors anymore. Doesn't seem like its been that long ago...I guess I'm showing my age.

Your not the only one.  I remember helping unhook a white 2-105 from the new idea corn picker so we could try out a brand new 4455.  I remember running a almost new 4960.  When the 8400’s came out with the Hyd remotes on command arm I remember hating it for packing silo.  Wanted my remote levers back.  Now almost every tractor has the finger switches for the remotes and it seems like second nature to use them.  

• Like 2