Filling axle housing on 06 series

jdetig1

I drained all hy Tran out of rear end including the 2 axle housing plugs. I guess this tractor doesn’t have the plugs removed to allow all the oil to run together. So I have a dumb question. I refilled the  rear end and it’s not running out the axle housing plugs yet after a few days. I guess I need to fill the axle housings separate? The axle housings won’t fill through the center section? I guess I thought they would fill through the center section.

On our 1964 806, we have never had to fill the axle housings with oil using the fill plugs, but we did need to use the separate axle drain plugs to empty them.  There may not be any cored holes between the transmission and the axles, but the axle bearings don't have seals between the housings, either.  When the oil reaches the bottom of the axle bearing, it will start to fill the axle housings through the inner tapered roller bearing on the axle.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, chadd said:

On our 1964 806, we have never had to fill the axle housings with oil using the fill plugs, but we did need to use the separate axle drain plugs to empty them.  There may not be any cored holes between the transmission and the axles, but the axle bearings don't have seals between the housings, either.  When the oil reaches the bottom of the axle bearing, it will start to fill the axle housings through the inner tapered roller bearing on the axle.

This is the answer. 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:55 AM, chadd said:

There are supposed to be expansion plugs in the inner axle bearing bores that separates the final drive from the center section. If they aren't there someone has already removed them. If they are removed it was advisable to drill a hole on the rear frame to maintain oil level .

Kind of risky to count on oil from the rear frame center section filling the outer section through the inner axle bearing alone. 

• Like 1

I've drilled holes and knocked out the plug on everyone I been into for the past 40 years. Never could get a straight answer from the IH reps as to why the plugs were installed to start with. Heard from one rep that because of the 560 rear end issues they wanted to keep the final drives separate from the center which was the hydraulic reservoir to keep contaminants out if there was a failure in the final drives

Yes to my understanding I thought the axle housings would fill through the bearings as someone above said but the center section is well over the full mark and it’s not tuning out the axle housing plugs yet. It’s been sitting like this for a week. Not a big deal I’ll fill the axle housings when I get a chance. Just curious was all. This is on a German diesel 706 so if there were updates I would think being a later serial number would have had them. Thanks 

A common problem when the expansion plugs were removed, was oil seepage at the axle caps. it raises the oil level in the rear axles and can create leaks because these caps don't have the seal ring in the caps like the later tractors that didn't have the fill plugs in the axle.