9 hours ago, hillman said:

I saw that thread Pumpkin Patch and I thought it was about an Allis grave yard:blush:

Hey now! I have a pumpkin patch and I also happen to have a D-15.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know why but I do. They have their faults but I still like them

Nice looking pair of tractors. I agree, really like our 86's too. Those who don't like them don't like hot coffee or cold ice cream for the most part. They are great tractors.

I'm an 86 series fan too.   All mine need work though.....

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Hey now! I have a pumpkin patch and I also happen to have a D-15.

did them pumpkins grow roots?🤣

21 hours ago, B.B. said:

I grew up on a small cattle farm with Angus cattle long before angus was the breed to have.  We had a mix of small tractors and equipment.  Had a small White 2-35 that did a lot around the farm, Oliver 55,  Minnie Mo U302 was the big tractor, and several Allis tractors.  I grew up planting what little corn we put out two rows at a time on an Allis WD, and I loathed that tractor.  I can still remember the auction when dad bought a 4 row white planter and I thought life would be so much easier. 

Local neighbor had a 600 acre dairy farm and he's up there in years now, but he still farms.  He had big whites and Olivers.  2-150 was a huge tractor to us when I was a kid.  I ran his 2-105 several times, and liked it but that tractor he had that I loved was his 986!   That's where my love for IH tractors started.   That 986 was a good looking tractor, it had slick black interior, and AC.   I wished as a kid growing up we could have a tractor as nice as that 986.   He chopped corn with it and I just loved to watch it, and listen to it, and the smell of course.  I really thought he was a BTO! 

Fast forward a few years, and I now have my own 986, and because of my experience as a kid I just love it.   I would like more than anything to have it completely restored same as or better than new.  

I say all this as I tend to take it a little personally when people bag on an 86 series.   I always think, you obviously haven't planted corn two rows at a time on a friggen Allis WD.....  But then I think my grandfather probably thought that WD was a fine tractor and I'm a big baby lol  Better than smelling horse farts! :) :)

I had a similar experience with 1086’s. My grandpa had 2 at one time. One got traded on a magnum in the early 90’s the other traded on another magnum in the early 2000’s. I was born in 1990 so I grew up running that 1086 and before I could drive it I would sit behind the seat and bang my head off the window. That tractor did every odd job you could imagine on a cattle farm, grind feed, haul manure, pull wagons, mow hay, batwing mower, silage blower, silage bagger, and the disc or field cultivator or 5 bottom plow on occasion. as long as it was above 0 degrees out it would start without being plugged in. Had over 15,000 hours on it when he got rid of it. It was a darn good tractor. 

so when I was in the market for a 130hp tractor with a decent cab there was no question in my mind. I needed a 1086.

And for the people that complain about getting in and out of them, my 87 year old grandpa still gets in and out of mine just fine. Factory steps and all.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, B.B. said:

I grew up on a small cattle farm with Angus cattle long before angus was the breed to have.  We had a mix of small tractors and equipment.  Had a small White 2-35 that did a lot around the farm, Oliver 55,  Minnie Mo U302 was the big tractor, and several Allis tractors.  I grew up planting what little corn we put out two rows at a time on an Allis WD, and I loathed that tractor.  I can still remember the auction when dad bought a 4 row white planter and I thought life would be so much easier. 

Local neighbor had a 600 acre dairy farm and he's up there in years now, but he still farms.  He had big whites and Olivers.  2-150 was a huge tractor to us when I was a kid.  I ran his 2-105 several times, and liked it but that tractor he had that I loved was his 986!   That's where my love for IH tractors started.   That 986 was a good looking tractor, it had slick black interior, and AC.   I wished as a kid growing up we could have a tractor as nice as that 986.   He chopped corn with it and I just loved to watch it, and listen to it, and the smell of course.  I really thought he was a BTO! 

Fast forward a few years, and I now have my own 986, and because of my experience as a kid I just love it.   I would like more than anything to have it completely restored same as or better than new.  

I say all this as I tend to take it a little personally when people bag on an 86 series.   I always think, you obviously haven't planted corn two rows at a time on a friggen Allis WD.....  But then I think my grandfather probably thought that WD was a fine tractor and I'm a big baby lol  Better than smelling horse farts! :) :)

I had a similar experience with 1086’s. My grandpa had 2 at one time. One got traded on a magnum in the early 90’s the other traded on another magnum in the early 2000’s. I was born in 1990 so I grew up running that 1086 and before I could drive it I would sit behind the seat and bang my head off the window. That tractor did every odd job you could imagine on a cattle farm, grind feed, haul manure, pull wagons, mow hay, batwing mower, silage blower, silage bagger, and the disc or field cultivator or 5 bottom plow on occasion. as long as it was above 0 degrees out it would start without being plugged in. Had over 15,000 hours on it when he got rid of it. It was a darn good tractor. 

so when I was in the market for a 130hp tractor with a decent cab there was no question in my mind. I needed a 1086.

And for the people that complain about getting in and out of them, my 87 year old grandpa still gets in and out of mine just fine. Factory steps and all.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:21 AM, ST-470 said:

IMO, the 86 series is a whole lot better than the 66 series. They should've skipped that series with the crappy cabs all together (no offense).

I agree. I had a brand new 1566 black stripe, it was sitting on the lot brand new with new just released 86 series tractors.  The 1566 was discounted quite a bit which is why I bought it, those new 86's were sure a lot nicer cab wise.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jdetig1 said:

Sorry. Don’t know why it posted so many times 

You certainly made your point, lol.

5 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

You certainly made your point, lol.

I removed the duplicate posts.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, TP from Central PA said:

You guys can haul your '66's to my house...............pm me for the address.  

I’ll wrestle ya for ‘em!😂

10 hours ago, JD Humm said:

I agree. I had a brand new 1566 black stripe, it was sitting on the lot brand new with new just released 86 series tractors.  The 1566 was discounted quite a bit which is why I bought it, those new 86's were sure a lot nicer cab wise.

The only fault of the 66 series was timing.  I bet if IH had know the JD 30 series were coming, they would have done something other then jack up the rpms on their tractors as a response.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The only fault of the 66 series was timing.  I bet if IH had know the JD 30 series were coming, they would have done something other then jack up the rpms on their tractors as a response.  

performance wise they had nothing to fear 1066 vs 4430 ???  they lacked in cab design not performance IMHO

engines is where Binder shine and shine brightly😎

• Like 3
3 hours ago, hillman said:

performance wise they had nothing to fear 1066 vs 4430 ???  they lacked in cab design not performance IMHO

engines is where Binder shine and shine brightly😎

No doubt about any of that. But with the hours we would spend in the field back in the summerfallow days, I would sacrifice a little performance to have a decent cab. Lot of other guys must have had the same opinion. It has already been pointed out in this thread by others that not having a good cab hurt IH.  I even had an ex IH salesman tell me one time he had his own friends go out and buy a JD 30 series just to get the SGB.  Why was IH so stubborn in coming up with a decent ops platform?  JD had their SGB ready to go back before the 30 series and thought about making it option on the 4020.  Even Case which is probably the 2nd dirtiest word on here after JD had an isolated ops platform back in the 60s with their CK series.  The cabs were still crap but an isolated platform is the start of a good cab and then of course they introduced the 70 series in the late 60s which had the best cab on the market at that moment.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

No doubt about any of that. But with the hours we would spend in the field back in the summerfallow days, I would sacrifice a little performance to have a decent cab. Lot of other guys must have had the same opinion. It has already been pointed out in this thread by others that not having a good cab hurt IH.  I even had an ex IH salesman tell me one time he had his own friends go out and buy a JD 30 series just to get the SGB.  Why was IH so stubborn in coming up with a decent ops platform?  JD had their SGB ready to go back before the 30 series and thought about making it option on the 4020.  Even Case which is probably the 2nd dirtiest word on here after JD had an isolated ops platform back in the 60s with their CK series.  The cabs were still crap but an isolated platform is the start of a good cab and then of course they introduced the 70 series in the late 60s which had the best cab on the market at that moment.  

I always did think the 66 series was a step sideways, not ahead for IH.  I always liked the 56 series better than the 66's.  Most of the IH diehards around here stuck with the 66's and early 86's, then many of them jumped ship for the green machines and have been there ever since.  86's were too little, way too late.

Big Bud Guy, I know all tractors have good and bad. Everyone has their opinion too and that;s fine. You however are seeming to beat a dead horse here. It has become obvious to me you are not an IH fan. That's fine, you don't have to be. Why however do you keep trying to prove to all us red heads that something else is better? Just let it go. IH is # 1 and always will be here on this site.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JD Humm said:

I always liked the 56 series better than the 66's. 

I do too.  I missed up when right after I bought my 1256, my dealer took in a 856 with the exact same wheatland package as my 1256. Would have been a nice pair together as both looked identical.  But they wanted $8,000 so I passed.  

• Like 1

I love my 1086.  It was the perfect tractor to farm along side our 1456.  I had the choice of a 9500hr 4440 or the 6000hr 1086.  I liked both but just felt that the 1086 might be more trouble free for the next few hundred hours.  I sat in a 1066 once and was not impressed by the cab, nor did I think it was an improvement over the 56 series.

20200223_175724.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...