IMG_20200919_151213879_HDR.thumb.jpg.a36a5d6142f947e83abf0f1a8bd90348.jpg

If I wouldn't have got it stopped here

IMG_20200919_133408486_HDR.thumb.jpg.fc93be9ff8cc81523b7d6a76f3572d75.jpg

Or here

IMG_20200919_144033684.thumb.jpg.8f335504aa0114b4f12e43f11d170f70.jpg

It would have rolled right down the canyon and through the middle of home and outbuildings.

Truly believe God directed every decision I made as one wrong call would have given the fire time to reach those bad dry cedars and roar through home.

89°, winds at 20 gusting to 40 humidity at 27%.

Just putting out little smokers right now. I won't leave it till this damn wind goes down and it cools off and humidity comes up around 1:00.

IMG_20200919_144607258_HDR.thumb.jpg.aee708d8a04a8c56f5203518bfd88299.jpg

Boys, I dodged a big one today, thanks to having C4 at home and quick response by neighbors and CRFD.

Mike, I may suffer from "brewers droop" 😪 but this old fat man made his grass rig dance getting around the head fire and keeping it it out of the trees in the canyon until help arrived😉😃😁

• Like 6
42 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Good job!  That fire rig just paid for itself!  Can you disc or plow fire breaks around you homesite?

Belongs to the fire district so it gets used a lot.

With the distances we have to travel we station some of these grass rigs on the ranches with members. The quicker you can get to a fire the better chance we have of keeping it small. Today was the perfect example of why we do it!

No, too rough

I do need to thin out trees close to buildings though. River bottom where I live is choked with em. 

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Belongs to the fire district so it gets used a lot.

With the distances we have to travel we station some of these grass rigs on the ranches with members. The quicker you can get to a fire the better chance we have of keeping it small. Today was the perfect example of why we do it!

No, too rough

I do need to thin out trees close to buildings though. River bottom where I live is choked with em. 

Bloody great effort  Jeff........Lady luck certainly  gave you a brake (??)  ( or break.......even...).......I have been on site when a fire started on a skid site........and the effort by everyone is incredible....Fiscal   "life and death "  when in the Forestry.........every one ........as they say......"Grows another leg"'.......I bet you were totally knackered when you sorted that one.......We are currently starting some minor logging on our little excrement heap......along the"" toe  ""  of the hill behind us.......this to create a ""green "' area...instead of Radiata Pine.......just in case of fire..........

Land owners such as ourselves...with adjacent  Forestry Blocks as neighbour's......have to carry    Ten Million    $'s public liability   insurance.......just in case.....

...and as for the "Brewers Droop ""   crack.........I was, of course, referring   to the eyelids...at the end of the long day you seemed to be doing......:rolleyes:;)

(you are not convinced.......are you ??!!!)

Mike

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Land owners such as ourselves...with adjacent  Forestry Blocks as neighbour's......have to carry    Ten Million    $'s public liability   insurance.......just in case.....

...and as for the "Brewers Droop ""   crack.........I was, of course, referring   to the eyelids...at the end of the long day you seemed to be doing......:rolleyes:;)

Mike - there's not an oblique reference to a certain bird of song in there by any chance?

• Haha 1

Glad to see and hear that you got it in time. Take care out there and be careful and safe out that way.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Bloody great effort  Jeff........Lady luck certainly  gave you a brake (??)  ( or break.......even...).......I have been on site when a fire started on a skid site........and the effort by everyone is incredible....Fiscal   "life and death "  when in the Forestry.........every one ........as they say......"Grows another leg"'.......I bet you were totally knackered when you sorted that one.......We are currently starting some minor logging on our little excrement heap......along the"" toe  ""  of the hill behind us.......this to create a ""green "' area...instead of Radiata Pine.......just in case of fire..........

Mike

"eyelids" LOL, you crack me up Mike😆

Those juniper fires are pretty scary. Did you load your drawers? That was close. That reminds me, does an old cowboy wear boxers or briefs? Uhh Depends.

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Those juniper fires are pretty scary. Did you load your drawers? That was close. That reminds me, does an old cowboy wear boxers or briefs? Uhh Depends.

We've got Cedar and Pine but they are probably close to the same. When they are as dry as they are this year they go up like a gas can. 

I have all the fire frequencies that we use programmed into my base radio. Wife can listen to the traffic when we are on a fire. I also get my pages and can listen to border districts to see if I need to get ready to be mutual aided. 

Now that I think about it I feel a bit guilty with this thread when compared to the tragedy's out west. 

It was close though, if it would have gotten into those trees I would have had to call the wife and tell her to grab the dogs and get the **** out of the house NOW and head west up the river hill to get out of it's way. Would only have been minutes. 

5 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

Good thing you got it when you did. Any idea on what started it?

Spark from power lines

IMG_20200919_144408374_HDR.thumb.jpg.b51e5c37c6c108d97b20fc9d0963bcc5.jpg

Yikes, having the brush rig at home sure made the difference! There was a power issue in town tonight here, flashed twice and then out, whole town so probably the main line. Fortunately I have power at home as everyone in the country is on the co-op. I hope what ever BHP line went down didn’t start anything.

• Like 1

Got  lucky there, here we have asbestos forests, when we get a fire it is rarely widespread and usually self contains. But we did a training drill in a 20 acre meadow one time , the neighboring department has a Chief who goes out west to fight forest fires annually, gave me just enough insight to know that’s dangerous business you have there. I was very impressed by the techniques and methods used . Stay safe out there. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

That's not good.

Luckily I was home, Wife said the power blinked, I went to the back door and smelled smoke (more than normal) luckily went by the barn instead around on the road.

Was able to get in C4 and head right to it.

If everything hadn't gone perfect I would not have a place anymore.

Just checked it and it is cold. Feel ok about going to bed now.

Will take some extra time tonight to give thanks where thanks is due.

• Like 2

The right place at the right time.Makes all the difference. Almost lost my house 40 years ago but was early July not Sept,trees and brush still had moisture in them. The one truck station is 3 miles away,and they were home, the nosy neighbor was looking off her mountain,came home from town as it ended.

Another Aug cutting barley by myself,saw the fire flare from stomping with your foot size to 2 foot circle. Pack pack pump on the ladder,it was 200 yards or so.By the time I got machine to 100 yards it was bigger than combine. I headed 1/2 mile to bare dirt,ran back for 2 pickup and a 2 ton truck.

😉At least it was not a gender reveal party.🤣

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Luckily I was home, Wife said the power blinked, I went to the back door and smelled smoke (more than normal) luckily went by the barn instead around on the road.

Was able to get in C4 and head right to it.

If everything hadn't gone perfect I would not have a place anymore.

Just checked it and it is cold. Feel ok about going to bed now.

Will take some extra time tonight to give thanks where thanks is due.

Good thing you went and checked it out. There was so much smoke here they said not to call in fires unless we saw flames. In that dry heat and wind it would've been to late. We had over an inch of rain. Maybe more coming later this week.🤞

• Like 3
9 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

Good thing you went and checked it out. There was so much smoke here they said not to call in fires unless we saw flames. In that dry heat and wind it would've been to late. We had over an inch of rain. Maybe more coming later this week.🤞

Inch of rain, awesome!

Hope you guys get it or snow. Not too much just good and steady and enough. 

I would take anything right now.

At least my little fire is cold and I don't have to worry about it.

Gonna have a serious talk with Cherry Todd about their power lines and why their test signal (?) causes them to spark. Didn't quite understand the lineman's explanation yesterday. All I know is it about cost us everything we own!

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

We've got Cedar and Pine but they are probably close to the same. When they are as dry as they are this year they go up like a gas can. 

I have all the fire frequencies that we use programmed into my base radio. Wife can listen to the traffic when we are on a fire. I also get my pages and can listen to border districts to see if I need to get ready to be mutual aided. 

Now that I think about it I feel a bit guilty with this thread when compared to the tragedy's out west. 

It was close though, if it would have gotten into those trees I would have had to call the wife and tell her to grab the dogs and get the **** out of the house NOW and head west up the river hill to get out of it's way. Would only have been minutes. 

Kinda like a one shot Roman candle.

• Like 1

Geez. Thank God.

I agree you should be all over that utility company until you're convinced they know exactly what caused it and rectify it. Send emails -traceable if something goes awry later if they blow you off. I had to do that with a utility company here who has a gas transmission line and easement through my property. I told them to send me a letter acknowledging their rectifying the problem, signed, and I wouldn't sue them. Now if something happens I have written evidence that they were aware of it in the past and disregarded it.

I think they're all overstretched and only grease the squeakiest wheels (I was gonna say "put out the hottest fires" but...). It doesn't make the individual employees bad people, but you've got be a pain sometimes to get problems fixed. Sad but true.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Inch of rain, awesome!

Hope you guys get it or snow. Not too much just good and steady and enough. 

I would take anything right now.

At least my little fire is cold and I don't have to worry about it.

Gonna have a serious talk with Cherry Todd about their power lines and why their test signal (?) causes them to spark. Didn't quite understand the lineman's explanation yesterday. All I know is it about cost us everything we own!

What's your water capacity on that pickup. I have about 500gallons on my 1 ton. I'm pumping it out now as I need my truck back. I should be timing it but I'm guessing around an hours worth of water with my little pump. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

What's your water capacity on that pickup. I have about 500gallons on my 1 ton. I'm pumping it out now as I need my truck back. I should be timing it but I'm guessing around an hours worth of water with my little pump. 

Forest Service owned so we are only allowed 300 gallons. 

Pump will do 100gpm at 100psi

It makes water management very important. 

Most fire lines run nozzle at 10 gpm. 5 will put out small fire and be the most conservative. 

I can open up to 24 or 40 gpm if I need to reach out farther or SHTF. I was on 40 some yesterday to reach fire I couldn't drive to. That is why I ran out of water before the other trucks got there. 

More water is good unless you are in the rough twisty steep stuff I was hurrying through, then 300 gallons is plenty. An out of water truck is better than a broke down truck on any fire. 

I was a lot harder on C4 yesterday than I normally am but there just wasn't time to pussyfoot around. 

• Like 2

Cherry Todd has more fires than any power company I have been around. Glad you got it out. That’s just rough nasty country. Most people have no clue how you guys fight fire. 

• Like 1