Power steering cooler🤪🤯

I’m fighting my power steering leaking. I thought it was the pump leaking so I just got done fighting that🤬

Now I see its wet by the power steering cooler, first off, I’ve avoided working on vehicles just because I don’t like working on vehicles, but if I’m going to keep an older vehicle I better learn to work on it. Because of that I didn’t even know they made such a thing as a power steering cooler 😱🤬😳🤯

My question is can I just tie these lines together and not use the cooler? I hardly tow anything and I’m not off roading or running oversized tires. I can’t see why I can’t just eliminate the stupid thing at least temporarily. 
Any thoughts?

edit- 2009 Silverado 2500🤪

1 hour ago, ky966boy said:

Think those were bad to leak . 

Well, right or wrong I eliminated it.

I’ll wait and see what the other opinions are before I decide to replace it or forget about it.

Near as I can tell they were installed for towing or off roading. I suppose maybe snow plowing too. I don’t do any of that, so...

Probably needed if you drive long distances, like a week ago today I drove about 400 miles.  But if you drive mostly short trips, 5-10 miles no problem.

I forget which one of my old Ford's had it, probably all three, but the return line from steering gearbox was routed across the front frame crossmember between the front suspension arms. It made 2-3 passes across the crossmember. Cheap mild steel tubing,  rusted bad but the last two trucks were rust-proofed.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Probably needed if you drive long distances, like a week ago today I drove about 400 miles.  But if you drive mostly short trips, 5-10 miles no problem.

I forget which one of my old Ford's had it, probably all three, but the return line from steering gearbox was routed across the front frame crossmember between the front suspension arms. It made 2-3 passes across the crossmember. Cheap mild steel tubing,  rusted bad but the last two trucks were rust-proofed.

Mostly 20-30 mile trips with an occasional 50-60, but not often.

It’s my work vehicle. I drive it to work, then lately I work on it over the weekend 😢🤬

I looked up some info it can be bypassed but and that is the thing, the oil will get hot,  is a used one a possibility, or cheapo? Keep your eye on level and temp when using whenever possible.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10893548&cc=1442812&jsn=911

$60 bucks +/-

I'd replace it as it's your brake boost cooler too. I replaced one on my 2004 due rusted lines. Wife's Yukon needed one as well from deer strike but that had vacuum booster and was much smaller.

• Like 1