3 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

What are they using? Is that a Gatling?

Mini gun?

That is some serious technology.

Maybe someone can fill us in

I didn't know they existed.

Don't have time to look for it on interweb, Gotta get home in the truck so I can catch the tail end of a wedding dance

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Did you make it in time for the last dance?

The bands last song was Jerry Jeff Walker's Too Old To Change😆

I wonder what that cost to do?  What are tracers, maybe one every 5 rounds?  Even if they are every round that was a LOT of rounds in the air.

Still very cool and terrifying at the same time.

• Like 1

Sounds just the the c-ram I used to watch and listen to while I was in Iraq. There were a few of them that covered the airfield and they were used to shoot down rockets and mortars launched at the aircraft and airstrip. Luckily I spent majority of my time around the airfield but there were a lot of people not as lucky as me. Most weren’t under coverage because tent city was away from the airfield and not under c-ram.  

9E81F04E-C7F3-41F5-A3F9-6ED9553C70BF.png

• Thanks 1

What if a gun could shoot over 1000 rounds per minute and each bullet weighed over 16 oz and traveled at 4000 FPS. how far apart would the projectiles be in flight and how much energy could be available?. If it could be made to operate? 

4 hours ago, oleman said:

What if a gun could shoot over 1000 rounds per minute and each bullet weighed over 16 oz and traveled at 4000 FPS. how far apart would the projectiles be in flight and how much energy could be available?. If it could be made to operate? 

I'm pretty sure something very similar has existed for quite sometime.......neatly  tucked into the nose of an A-10 Thunderbolt II.

GAU 8 Avenger 30mm cannon.

Phalanx CIWS is normally found on ships, it is a 20 mm rotating barrel cannon.

They make a 20 mm rotating barrel cannon version mounted on a M113 APC hull pulling a trailer containing the ammo.  I do not remember what it is called.  Rate of fire is around 3,000 rounds per minute, there was a unit of them stationed at Fort Bliss when I was there.  Very loud and very expensive to fire.  I think that most of the video is game footage as the real thing is radar controlled and does not normally need that much time to get on target.

It’s not a flamethrower

16 hours ago, stronger800 said:

That’s what I was thinking, that something that fancy would not need the fire thousands of rounds to make one connect

But damn it is intimidating

To be flying the target aircraft and see those tracers tracking and closing in on you.😳

21 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I'm pretty sure something very similar has existed for quite sometime.......neatly  tucked into the nose of an A-10 Thunderbolt II.

GAU 8 Avenger 30mm cannon.

My exposure to this system was way back in the 70's I am sure they have perfected all the issues by 2020!

• Like 1