IH 2+2 Front Square Headlights

IH1586

I am getting ready to replace the two square headlights in my 3788.  Has anyone done this before?  I cannot find any instructions or parts diagram on line or from my dealer.  I am replacing these two lights with LEDs, trying to see what I am getting into.

Thanks

IH1586

39 minutes ago, IH1586 said:

I am getting ready to replace the two square headlights in my 3788.  Has anyone done this before?  I cannot find any instructions or parts diagram on line or from my dealer.  I am replacing these two lights with LEDs, trying to see what I am getting into.

Thanks

IH1586

It's pretty self explanatory.  Easy job. 

• Like 1

Are you replacing burnt out lights that are still in place or are you replacing lights that are .missing? The reason I ask is because you mentioned a parts break down.

If they are the same as lower cab lights as 3688, easy switch.   Did mine a while ago, made swith to LED's.  Biggest problem I had was getting wires crimped good enough to hold.  Stupid little connectors that came with lights was for the birds.

As others have said it’s really pretty basic. Four philips head screws hold the bezel in place. Lower center straight screw is the adjustment screw. Sealed beam unplugs and sets in a formed mount. 
Here’s the only thing in the parts manual concerning headlights. Top pic is from service manual.5CCE991A-CE53-420E-8570-73C099B500BA.thumb.jpeg.a142af8ed2075bb45f344ddb2922cb47.jpeg0E27B2B3-7600-4A56-A964-5D6CC03960EA.thumb.jpeg.8a24b0ee88fdfd24fe9e31c3e809bb9d.jpegAB6D1114-636E-4129-A0E8-37C49BA03726.thumb.jpeg.fa6046c0a79ace9eee25d36b3c31d0f9.jpeg

• Like 1

Let me know if you find something at a reasonable price.  I have a 3588 that could use brightening up.  I have tried some from Amazon and the fit and were reasonable, $35 each.  Problem was is that they only worked in low beam.  I didn't spend to much time messing with it at the time.

You might look here.  This is Mike’s website.  He is a member here.  Good quality stuff that works the way it should from my experience.  I put all LEDs on my 686.  

http://www.triplertractors.com/led-tractor-lighting.html

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 666trac said:

Not intending to steal this post but a quick question to Sledgehammer. did you use all flood led's or trapezoid led's also. Just trying to figure out what to buy for my 666.Thanks.

I used all flood on mine. Some people will use different lights for headlight vs work lights but that is what I did. Mike’s lights are good quality.  Pics show off and on. I re-did the upper insert at the same time I installed the lights (repainted black and silver, new screws). I don’t believe they make that piece any more so I figured I better take care of the one I had. 

2BDB2E6E-222B-4177-B0A3-C659639D59A6.jpeg

DE3EDC16-4EB0-4137-A30D-D04281C907CB.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I used all flood on mine. Some people will use different lights for headlight vs work lights but that is what I did. Mike’s lights are good quality.  Pics show off and on. I re-did the upper insert at the same time I installed the lights (repainted black and silver, new screws). I don’t believe they make that piece any more so I figured I better take care of the one I had. 

2BDB2E6E-222B-4177-B0A3-C659639D59A6.jpeg

DE3EDC16-4EB0-4137-A30D-D04281C907CB.jpeg

Do they have low and high beam? If so did you need to modify the switch?

2 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Do they have low and high beam? If so did you need to modify the switch?

This tractor does not have high/low. I got a new switch when I got the lights. Normal multi-position dial switch like older tractors had. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this topic.

I change the two headlights last week.  As some of you stated, it was easier than I expected.  Only ran into two issues: first one of the screws holding the OEM light was so rusted that we had to cut the head off and use pliers to remove. Second we had two re-arrange the three wire plug on the 3788 wiring harness to work correctly with the LED light (for the low/high beam feature). Overall replacing all the OEM lights with LEDs made a huge difference in see/working at night and the front two headlights definitely covers a large area.  For those considering updating to LEDs, it worth the effort and cost for seeing at night.

IH1586

15 hours ago, IH1586 said:

Update to this topic.

I change the two headlights last week.  As some of you stated, it was easier than I expected.  Only ran into two issues: first one of the screws holding the OEM light was so rusted that we had to cut the head off and use pliers to remove. Second we had two re-arrange the three wire plug on the 3788 wiring harness to work correctly with the LED light (for the low/high beam feature). Overall replacing all the OEM lights with LEDs made a huge difference in see/working at night and the front two headlights definitely covers a large area.  For those considering updating to LEDs, it worth the effort and cost for seeing at night.

IH1586

Yes, LED's are the only way to go. Lot of people will cry over the appearance but at least you can see lol.