New to me, time to get it ready for harvest

Finally pulled the trigger and replaced my 1063 corn head a few weeks ago. It's replacement showed up today. None too soon, have a feeling high moisture ear corn for the silo is gonna start soon. 

IMG_1933.JPG

• Like 1

I ran one of those a few years ago for a neighbor, it was on a 7088.  They’re nice heads, they actually have automatically adjusting deck plates.

What combine is it going on?

Good head. Just follow the maintenance recommendations  and use the correct grease.

Because of the narrow throats on our Red Combines and the small auger, you may experience feeding issues into the throat. Here is a pic of the fix. Lowen Posifeed Drum. Will make a big difference Series 1 &2. Installed one on my 1660.

Here is a service video link with videos that will cover lots of stuff about your head. Click on the library link to Series 1 &2

Excellent videos about maintenance and repairs.

https://www.dragotec.com/service-video

Screenshot_20200914-222039_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and replaced my 1063 corn head a few weeks ago. It's replacement showed up today. None too soon, have a feeling high moisture ear corn for the silo is gonna start soon. 

IMG_1933.JPG

High moisture ear corn? In a silo? Please post pictures. I've never heard of it. Guess I dont get out much, but didnt realize this could be done in a silo. Shell corn yes or in a pit...  sounds interesting 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

High moisture ear corn? In a silo? Please post pictures. I've never heard of it. Guess I dont get out much, but didnt realize this could be done in a silo. Shell corn yes or in a pit...  sounds interesting 

Really? We did it for years. The only reason we quit doing it is the silo we were using tipped over a few days after filling back in 2011. 

It's not ear corn, its ran through a combine. When we did it we started out with a Farmhand corn blur mill that had a blower on it. Then we ran a Heinke roller mill with a blower to throw it up the silo.

Dad did high moisture corn in the late 70s early 80s. I didnt care for it. My memeory of it was corn always seemed almost moldy, feed stuck in the bins ect.

So I assume that the 1600 series combines have a bigger feeder house gearbox for a chopping head?  I was told a 1400 series gearbox is too small

1 hour ago, Mike56073 said:

So I assume that the 1600 series combines have a bigger feeder house gearbox for a chopping head?  I was told a 1400 series gearbox is too small

I think it is same gearbox all of them 

My 1660 and 2388 have same.

Would look it up but thanks to Case screwing up online parts lookups,  reference # is skipped on diagram.....arrrggggg

10 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

I hope you don’t need the reel sitting behind it 

Unfortunately the reel is going on. Had a certain variety got nailed bad by rootworm this year.

7 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

image.jpg.26b3505e41b7e1f2b933bb1aba524aWe will shell the corn 26-28% moisture. We also have a special sieve in the combine so we collect 60-70% of the cob. Then it is run thru this setup, which is a roller mill/blower combo. I also apply a silage preservative as it is blown in the silo, it helps to keep the molds at bay.   It makes really good feed.

this pic is from a few years ago, but it is still what I use.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Farmerboy72 said:

image.jpg.26b3505e41b7e1f2b933bb1aba524aWe will shell the corn 26-28% moisture. We also have a special sieve in the combine so we collect 60-70% of the cob. Then it is run thru this setup, which is a roller mill/blower combo. I also apply a silage preservative as it is blown in the silo, it helps to keep the molds at bay.   It makes really good feed.

Automatic roller mill? 

My brother put high moisture corn in harvestor silo and hammer mills it on the way out 

3 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Some guys around here used to take the sieves out, set concave tight. Similar to having a snapping head on a forage harvester. That was in the day before the mills that are used at the silos or pits today.  Also nice looking head. Know of no one around here that has went back to a CIH, JD or whatever after having a Drago. They are well liked, the self adjusting plates are nice.

3 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Man I'd imagine youd have to really crawl along in normal or high BPA corn just with the sheer amount of material youd have on the "clean" side of the separator.  Usually the normal high moisture i see is made a bit trashy with cob, but not near saving near 60/70 % 

Always wanted to try high moisture corn/cob or snaplage though as I have heard the same it's great feed, just dont have the capabilities.  

4 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Very similar to what we do except ours is usually just a little wetter. The more cob the better.

9 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Always wanted to try high moisture corn/cob or snaplage though as I have heard the same it's great feed, just dont have the capabilities

Buddy who works on a farm around us does earlage for feeding cattle. They seem to like it.

We put all our high moisture corn in silos(and a couple bags usually). Run it through Automatic hammermill. Ideal moisture is in the 34-28% range but last year the majority of it was 40% or better. We also have snapper head for SP chopper but nutritionist likes the HM shelled corn better. 

• Like 1