Wi Ih

Got lucky on a Ford today

I’m sure some of you guys have seen this, doing a water pump on a 302 Ford and the bolts won’t come out, cut off the water pump ears and got it out-of-the-way, got some rust penetrated around the bolts and some heat, work them and got them out without twisting them off so I don’t have to pull the timing cover !!!

I’m not going to buy a lottery ticket because I think I used all my luck up

157A2A4D-B962-4695-A95A-7E88EE4DB44D.jpeg

0F2FC9DA-BED6-4031-AFC2-3A1F5F5927C4.jpeg

F750D9C8-353C-444D-9C07-BF6EFB7B918E.jpeg

• Sad 1

Been many moons since I`ve done one of those miserable things but IIRC, 2 bolts go thru pump AND t-cover.

Have had the t-cover leak after doing pump only. 

Long time ago though.

Well at least you got it .  That’s what separates a good mechanic from a bad one. 

I change the water pump on a jeep Cherokee with a hemi that only had 80,000 miles on it. when I got the water pump off the block surface  look like it had cancer. 
pretty pathetic for that low of miles. 

I told her to trade it in ASAP and she did so now it’s someone else’s problem.

never had troubles with teh 302s - 455s are miserable with breaking bolts and ruining timing cover 

• Like 1

Ive had some that didnt want to come out but cant recall breaking any and never had to cut an ear off water pump thus far. Some of them got to be getting pretty bad tho. Espec if havent been apart or not for many years.

• Like 1

This would have been a completely different topic if MTO had gotten lucky on a Ford today........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

This would have been a completely different topic if MTO had gotten lucky on a Ford today........

I'm glad you pointed that out.  A humorous image came into my mind when I read the title.

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I'm glad you pointed that out.  A humorous image came into my mind when I read the title.

That’s exactly what I was thinking too

What's with Fords and sticking bolts? I worked on a 302 pickup trying to get the transmission out. Four of the bolts were stuck. Heating, tightening, loosening, penetrating oil, nothing worked. After a few days the owner got PO'd and hit them with a big ol' impact wrench, one came out, and the heads twisted off the other three. I ended up sawing through the bolts and trans case close to the engine surface and got it apart. lots of BFH work got the bolts out. Funny enough, the threaded ends backed out of the cast iron block with vice grips, easily! We put the trans in another truck with washers taking up the slack, it worked for years! He slid under and put a wrench to the bolts a few times, but they never came loose.

Exhaust manifold bolts on a 460 Ford, enough said.

The Ford 302  water pump "carrier timing chain cover".

A Chrysler 440 has the exhaust  manifold bolts screwed into the water jacket. Not really uncommon, many of the flat head engines passed head bolts through the water jackets.

The only perfect engine would have to be designed by God!!

31 minutes ago, oleman said:

Exhaust manifold bolts on a 460 Ford, enough said.

The Ford 302  water pump "carrier timing chain cover".

A Chrysler 440 has the exhaust  manifold bolts screwed into the water jacket. Not really uncommon, many of the flat head engines passed head bolts through the water jackets.

The only perfect engine would have to be designed by God!!

I haven't started working on that yet.........OH wait! I bet you meant the other God.

Rick

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, ihrondiesel said:

I don`t kiss and tell Ron.

1 hour ago, MTO said:

I don`t kiss and tell Ron.

LOL!  Unless it was an old girlfriend, Mark. But I guess that wouldn’t fit with the “today” part.