1688 grain tank sensor

Why doesn't it work?  Our 1688 has huge bin extensions and the sensor works fine. But we very seldom fill it anywhere near that full because it literally crushes the sheet metal like a pop can. 

My brother spent 500 on repairs to his sensor and still had issues with missed warnings. I spent 500 on a Cab Cam camera system. One in bin, one on end of auger and one out back for reversing. Auger one lets you see in wagon and if you see daylight at bottom you better get out and close the door also gives you an idea of your load and if your going over the far side. The one in the bin lets you monitor level and with mine when you cover the camera you got 30-50 feet left before secondary roof alarm goes off. 

John

• Like 2
8 hours ago, nate said:

Just use the sensors like all the big shots around us.   When it runs off the cab roof it’s full!!

5 bushel Emergency grain tank extension?😄🤣

7 hours ago, hardknocks said:

Well it works every ye I manually move the switch but doesn't work half the time with grain.  Yes the tinking on top of cab is a pretty good sensor.  Would likebth pre sensor to work better. Lpl

Adjust it so it works.  Probably just positioned wrong. 

Which style of sensor are you using? The original one on a 1688 used the "flapper". The problem with them on bin extensions was that the grain tended to go around the back side of the sensor, so that the flapper would not trip, so you didn't know if your tank was full. Later on, that style of sensor was replaced with what they called a "diaphragm" sensor, the grain just pushed on the face of the sensor, to let the operator know his tank was full.

• Like 1

If you have the flapper style the fix is to drill and tap the plstic for a screw to push on the flapper,  adjust the screw so it almost trips the switch. Never had it fail after this mod.

yes its the flapper style.. so what you are saying the grain is going under the flapper and then not letting the flapper move.   you are saying drill the flapper so the grain hits the screw and shoves on it to make contact instead of going underneith

On 9/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, striker782 said:

will that sensor use my existing wires

On 9/14/2020 at 10:50 PM, nate said:

Just use the sensors like all the big shots around us.   When it runs off the cab roof it’s full!!

Works every time