AFS 2388 Combine

I recently acquired a 2388 combine that came with an AFS system. The mounting bracket for the AFS system is broken and a new one is $160. Before I spend the $160 on a new bracket I would like to know if the AFS system is worth it. We are talking about something that is 20 years old with a data card that reminds me of an 8 track tape. Can anyone share some insight here?

Thanks in advance.

APF

That's what CaseIH called the Universal Display Plus. If you update the software to the latest level, it pretty much has the same capabilities as a Pro600 without all the pretty colors. It can map with GPS, plant prescriptions in an AFS planter,  and do everything else but autosteer. 

The smaller version of this display was the Universal Display..that's the display with the smaller screen.

The first year of 2388s still used the black box monitor...not much support available for that unit anymore.

I put a pro 600 in mine and like it.  Seems easy enough to calibrate.

I assume that I have to take the display to a Case IH dealer for the software update?

Or have the dealer tech come out to the combine with his laptop. Just takes a few minutes. He can also make sure the YMIU module has the latest software. If you do upgrade the software, get the latest operator's manual for the display, as so much info on the screen is going to change that the current ops manual will be worthless.

Just out of curiosity...power up the monitor and see what version of software is on it. After it goes through it’s AFS splash screen/wake-up sequence, it should give you the version # of the software in it already.